This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

D.Salkeld_Ltd

"milky" marks on old paint windows
« on: April 11, 2006, 11:20:57 pm »
Hi all,

I have been WFP for about 2 weeks going well generaly but the only niggly problem is old paitwork, not flaky, just lost its gloss.  I seem to get water runs from the milky paint.  Most of the customers are OK over it but they are hopeing it will get better.

Will the milkiness wash of eventualy (1 or 2 cleans).
I have tried carefully not doing the frames, which was successfull on one big old hall.

Any advise please

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

master cleaner

Re: "milky" marks on old paint windows
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 11:25:52 pm »
try doing the frames really well a couple of times this will get rid of most of the muck if still having problems then try to miss the frames i have had this on a couple of jobs but they seem to have cleared up but i have read on the forum that on some it might not and you might have to let them go or go traditional, me personally will not go back to ladders

gary

craig jwc

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 12:49:45 am »
I did a new job last week like this.

Just gave the frames a really good scrub and rince till they started to run clear.

I have had a few like this and all so far touch wood have come up great

Craig

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 03:45:08 pm »
David

The problem will not go away until the frames are repainted.

On these type of frames it is best to not touch the frame with any water, stop your brush just short of the top of the frame.

That is the only solution.

Dave

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 04:29:22 pm »
Hi i have a couple of houses like this they have only recently started to run clear there is still slight traces on glass but you can hardly see them not much you can do than rinse alot! You could also try doing the frames allow them time to run clear then just rinse the glass some times works!! ::)  ;D

Hi all,

I have been WFP for about 2 weeks going well generaly but the only niggly problem is old paitwork, not flaky, just lost its gloss.  I seem to get water runs from the milky paint.  Most of the customers are OK over it but they are hopeing it will get better.

Will the milkiness wash of eventualy (1 or 2 cleans).
I have tried carefully not doing the frames, which was successfull on one big old hall.

Any advise please

David

Londoner

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 05:10:22 pm »
It happens on powder coated aluminium frames as well. This is a problem because they look like UPVC.
The windows on my house are Coated aluminium and have had the problem since practically new. Wash and wash and it goes away but it always comes back.
It never was a problem before WFP although the white came off when you wiped the frames over.

Its part of my belief that the customers you chose when you were a trad cleaner are not necessarily all suited to WFP and this is an example.
In future you will be well advised to avoid wooden frames like the plague and always give UPVC frames a flick with your finger to make sure they really are UPVC and not powder coated aluminium frames in disguise.

matt

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 06:36:42 pm »
its not hard to not clean the frames, take your time and you can just do the glass

better than nothing

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 06:48:43 pm »
Thanks Chaps for your advice.

Pretty much what I have discovered in experimenting.

Old paintwork is pretty much "trial and error".  If they do run then I wait till they are begining to dry then go back and carefully just rince the glass.  Seems to "repair" the problem.

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

dai

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 06:58:43 pm »
This really takes me back to the time before we had sqeegies. Chalky frames were a big problem then when using a mop and scrim. The windows had a lot more panes in them days too. I have one job like this, I do the tops best as I can WFP the bottoms I do trad. Dai