This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AdamSouth

how hards your water
« on: April 11, 2006, 10:31:10 pm »
got my ro unit and tds meter yesterday and i'm a bit confussed with the tds reading i'm getting from my tap water. i live near the south downs and though my tds reading would be about 500 because of all the chalk but its only 250.

to any one else living around portsmouth or southampton whats your tds reading and what does ppm stand for?
Giving you a better view

carl stanton

Re: how hards your water
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 10:34:39 pm »
ppm
parts per million i think, as how many parts of say chalk to water, or something like that
  do i sound like i know what i am on about   ???   ???

;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 10:41:19 pm »
Ok Quick glossary for you chaps.

TDS = Total dissolved solids (minerals generally not just chalk etc)
PPM = Parts per million

250+TDS = hard
100 or less TDS = soft

After the R/O your reading will be between about 5 and 20 and then that goes through your DI (de-ionised) resin beads to bring it to zero.

In a hard water area flushing your R/O prevents it's performance deteriorating quickly and disconnecting the feed from the R/O to the resin chamber for a couple of minutes (at the start when the R/O is bringing the TDS to a low figure) will save on resin usage.
It's a game of three halves!

AdamSouth

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 10:46:54 pm »
thanks carl, after i asked the question i read the instuctions like you do and it was in there :D.

it also says don't use it on water above 90ppm for it could damage the meter, oh well.

have you change over yet carl?

Thanks Malc

been trying to get my head round this for a couple of days now and to top it all off my bird wants to leave me cos she thinks i should get a proper 9-5 job like her!! no telling some people.
Giving you a better view

master cleaner

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 11:21:26 pm »
thanks carl, after i asked the question i read the instuctions like you do and it was in there :D.

it also says don't use it on water above 90ppm for it could damage the meter, oh well.

have you change over yet carl?

Thanks Malc

been trying to get my head round this for a couple of days now and to top it all off my bird wants to leave me cos she thinks i should get a proper 9-5 job like her!! no telling some people.

a 9-5 job will no way give you the satisfaction you will get from wc believe me ive been there done that ,stick to self employment.

carl stanton

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 11:31:50 pm »
i only know ppm as lokk after a swimming pool, so that comes into play [ps chalk was an example]

was thinking of a post that brings all wfp q's into one post explain prosses and probs, from mains to the drip on the sill! ya get me?

on the lady front tell her lokk at my bank balence in 6 months. if she has that much respect for you! i mean that in a good way to you! it has its problems yes! but so does a job!! but here you call the shots and get rid of the problems!

AdamSouth

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 11:59:00 pm »
my bird will have to learn, she didn't mind me cleaning windows for nearly 2years when i was working for some one else and getting paid 300quid a week but now i'm trying to do it on my own she's got piszed off. the thing is she does have a point when she says i'm lazy but my round is building and it wont be long till i'm a millionair!!!
Giving you a better view

carl stanton

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 12:22:21 am »
we all get them lazy days, thank goodness it rain this afternoon. i get naged at for sitting on my arse, even though done 600 week befor then up to 400 last thur got lazy on friday and boy did i cop it bad!  >:( and those are my best yet for time spent!  8) got really motivated reading this site.  ;D

Allways Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 10:44:20 pm »
Hi adam 269 ppm in soton, after ro 3 ppm then 0 with di
regards
paul

AdamSouth

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 11:12:36 pm »
thanks paul,

i think we get the same water pumped out the river itchen or somethink so. i just thought it would be higher then that but its good news it ain't.
Giving you a better view

Allways Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 12:08:11 pm »
mmmm itchen probably lower ppm than when souther water get there hands on it. you still having probs with ro or are u sorted now? have u tried pure water yet.... try making coffee or tea its really soft and when chilled makes a lovely drink.
regards
paul

AdamSouth

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 05:39:54 pm »
ain't sorted it yet, i was waiting for some small fitting bits and bobs that i forgot to order. got them Ro man's but they needed signing for and i was out when thay came so i'l have to wait for saturday to pick them up from the post office. can't wait to get it sorted now and then i'l have a nicecup of rosy lee
Giving you a better view

Allways Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 09:59:17 pm »
hehe you will sort it but untill then have a few beers instead.

bazzup

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 10:36:20 pm »
i'm in liverpool nowhere near you but my tds is 58 average but steve k down the road is much higher???

simbo

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 09:01:50 pm »
think yourselves lucky my tds 450-500 before ro 40 out then after di 0
resin doesnt last 5 mins
simbo

WavieDavie

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2006, 09:12:32 pm »
have u tried pure water yet.... try making coffee or tea its really soft and when chilled makes a lovely drink.

If you're using RO water - that's OK.

PLEASE PLEASE DON'T DRINK DI WATER It is definitely not good for your body.
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Allways Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2006, 12:33:16 am »
so ro water and then di is no good for your body WHY

WavieDavie

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2006, 07:47:41 am »
Check out the links in reply 10 of this thread . . . http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=13497.0
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk