Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

david@zap-clean

Nicotine on nylon
« on: July 09, 2014, 02:13:49 pm »
I did a job today on a light blue nylon cut-pile - it was heavily stained with nicotine.

I cleaned with a strong Micro-splitter + citrus mix, then post treated with POG. 
The results were not brilliant.

Anyone have a better plan (and please don't say M-Power).

Before cleaning photo:

David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

*Hector*

Re: Nicotine on nylon
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 02:30:25 pm »
why can't we say M power or Bio clean? it works...

Alternatively good old fashioned double clean sprayed on hot as you like agitated and hot extracted would work too..

;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

david@zap-clean

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 02:34:53 pm »
why can't we say M power or Bio clean? it works...

Alternatively good old fashioned double clean sprayed on hot as you like agitated and hot extracted would work too..

;D

Heat wasn't really an option with this twist pile nylon carpet Hector.
David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

*Hector*

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 02:57:46 pm »
why not?

Hilton

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 03:49:18 pm »
Its all very well but I want to know how you got nicotine on your nylons..........do you know someone known as Cozy ,he smokes a lot  ;D

As for the carpet it will be a restoration clean in that condition so smash it with heat and solution, is it sticky?

John Kelly

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 04:21:31 pm »
Ultrapac or Champion, heat. It may be permanently discoloured although most clean up easily.

peter maybury

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 11:46:49 pm »
heat is a fundamental part of the cleaning process why would you not want to use it?
Any of the presprays- powerburst or whatever would eat through nicotine, are you sure that your assumption that it was nicotine is correct , with many years experience pre smoking ban cleaning licenced premises yes on the walls blinds ceilings curtains etc. Smoke rises.
Peter

*Hector*

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 05:22:24 am »

Heat wasn't really an option with this twist pile nylon carpet Hector.

David.... please do not try to be patronising or condescending to me. You have been in this industry less than 5 minutes... I have been in it 26 years... Do not think that because I only use LM these days, that I do not know what I am on about.... It is precisely because of my experience and the fact that I DO know what I am on about, that I can clean LM only, and get good results.

You came on here and asked what could be used to get good results. I suggested something, You attempted to take the p1$$.  It makes Hectors jovial character just not want to help any more.

david@zap-clean

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 07:29:25 am »
Thanks for all the feedback everyone - there's a fair bit of info to take in, and it looks like I've been corrected in I disagreeumption that twist pile can be damaged by (normal) heat.

Hector, you're wrong, I've been around longer than 5 minutes, it's at least 6 minutes now :-)
I'm not sure why you took my comments as a criticism of you, they weren't intended to be.

On the subject of heat: I've only been using it for 2 weeks - and can see the benefits straight away - so why is it that some people, on some forums, think that some cleaning 'Solutions' don't need heat?
David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 07:58:31 am »
If you read some posts they say that they apply pre sprays very hot and only rinse with cold water, don't forget that it's all about opinion.

I prefer heat IMO it cleans better and faster and you need less product down first ie pre spray so rinsing is far easier/better.

Shaun

John Kelly

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 08:27:40 am »

On the subject of heat: I've only been using it for 2 weeks - and can see the benefits straight away - so why is it that some people, on some forums, think that some cleaning 'Solutions' don't need heat?
[/quote]

Those that supplied machines with no heater.

Deep Cleaning Solutions

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 08:31:19 am »
This is not a job to be fannying around with micro splitters. Ultra pac and/or powerburst with citra boost would of been my starting point, champion is also usefull on this type of job. This is a job to bring out the big guns! When you say you post treated with pog, does that mean you have left it in the carpet?
David.
Owner of Deep Cleaning Solutions.
Expert in Web Design & SEO
www.rocketwebsitedesigners.co.uk

Deep Cleaning Solutions

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 08:39:37 am »
I find that hot tap water in the tank with a hot pre-spray is good enough for most jobs but jobs like this or end of tenancy mingers need that extra heat and heat is a massive help on pub jobs, the hotter the better i find.
David.

david@zap-clean

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 06:07:23 pm »
This is not a job to be fannying around with micro splitters. Ultra pac and/or powerburst with citra boost would of been my starting point, champion is also usefull on this type of job. This is a job to bring out the big guns! When you say you post treated with pog, does that mean you have left it in the carpet?

I flushed out the POG.

I've just left the customer a voice mail message offering to re-do it (with UP)...
David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

Deep Cleaning Solutions

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 06:23:02 pm »
David. I don't know if you have used UP before but their are different dilution rates on the front. You may need to use it on the higher side ie the label says- Heavy soil and restoration: Dilute 50ml per litre of warm water.
David.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 08:02:10 pm »
Hi David,
I'm struggling to see what you are concerned about. Apart from the light patch where presumably a piece of furniture has been, the colour of the carpet looks way too uniform for it to be just dirt. Far more likely the effects of light and soil that has undermined the colour, hence its uniform appearance. Also, nylon, or any synthetic fibre that is dirty and has been for any length of time will appear far dirtier than it actually is because the dirt has tainted the colour, which is permanent and I think that, rather than you having not cleaned it properly is the case here.

Simon

peter maybury

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 01:44:22 am »
David
there are certain things with carpet cleaning that cannot be reversed no matter how much training and level of equipment.  The more that you have the more that can be reversed. If you are serious about what you doing then I would suggest an alternative course of training and going out with somebody that has some experience and uses a variety of equipment. Y
Peter

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 06:15:36 am »
I don't think this is a training issue, more one of experience. With experience comes the realisation that with the best will in the world you cannot get every carpet as clean as you would like. With experience you should know within the first few minutes of cleaning the carpet that it isn't cleaning very well, this is your moment to try something different, a stronger prespray, agitation or a different technique. Also the moment to show the customer that this may be the best you can achieve.
 Experience is one thing you simply cannot buy, it just comes with time. Good on David for offering to re-clean because he's not happy with the result, that's professionalism for you.

Simon

david@zap-clean

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 07:50:16 am »
I don't think this is a training issue, more one of experience. With experience comes the realisation that with the best will in the world you cannot get every carpet as clean as you would like. With experience you should know within the first few minutes of cleaning the carpet that it isn't cleaning very well, this is your moment to try something different, a stronger prespray, agitation or a different technique. Also the moment to show the customer that this may be the best you can achieve.
 Experience is one thing you simply cannot buy, it just comes with time. Good on David for offering to re-clean because he's not happy with the result, that's professionalism for you.

Simon

Yes Simon that's exactly what I'm doing.
This board has been a great source of advice, opinions and guidance over the past 2 years.
David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

peter maybury

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 04:51:00 pm »
only been using heat for 2 weeks and would not benefit from training??
Peter