This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

David 'Duck' Clare

Cleaning UPVC help
« on: April 01, 2006, 06:03:51 pm »
Hello Group

Ive come accross two customers today that have asked me to give their conservatory UPVC a 'good clean' (i.e. not just a wipe down)

I know there is a UPVC cleaning solution available (its quite expensive), but I was wondering does anyone on here 'make their own'? or know of a cheaper option.

Also  the conservatories are both about 4m wide by 2m deep each side, they have 1 x french doors, 8 floor to ceiling windows and 10 roof windows. What price would you charge for cleaning the UPVC on these?

Many thanks

carl stanton

Re: Cleaning UPVC help
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 06:29:12 pm »
i use mer car wax and a micro fiber cloth! but im not wfp YET!
the special upvc cleaners are not always healthy for the upvc! only use it on the really black stains if you do choose to try and remove them or just say stained cant do!
get a spray bottle and put a cap full or 2/3 see how it works for you , try not get on glass just saves a bit of work but no great prob if you did.  then just wipe/ scrub soft brush handy 1 that doesnt scratch!
                      hope this helps
                                   carl   :D

David 'Duck' Clare

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 06:52:18 pm »
Cheers Carl, Ill give that a go.

I thought there wuld be another way!

David

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 07:04:18 pm »
Cheers Carl, Ill give that a go.

I thought there wuld be another way!

David

I assume that they want the glass cleaned at the same time?   :)
I've tried several ways over the years and never really settled on one.  I've found that giving it a good soaking with water and detergent and using those larger washing up pads usually cleans things up fairly well.  The more stubborn stuff might take a bit longer.  Don't use anything to abrasive though in case you scratch the UPVC or glass.  I've dried it all off and then cleaned the glass afterwards.  There are probably better ways but I've never been asked to do enough of this type of work to start investigating a better way.  Beware !!  Some chemicals can discolour the UPVC.

David 'Duck' Clare

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 07:12:02 pm »
Re they want the glass cleaned to. YES not worth doing unless the glass is cleaned to at same time me thinks.

What price would people charge for this???? i.e. the UPVC bit, the glass i can take care of :D

niceandclean

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 07:22:25 pm »
We would charge 120.00 for a chemical clean on a conservatory, thats just for the plastic. Then normal charge for the glass. If you check out www.bond-it.co.uk they make a very good PVC-u cleaner, i pay from my local supplier about 3.50 for a bottle, you would not use a whole bottle on the conservatory. Clean down with water first to get rid of dirt ect, then use the chemical cleaner to bring the plastic back to white. Do not use this on Brown plastic!!
Hope that helps.

niceandclean

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 07:24:08 pm »
By the way if you look on the website, the product code is BDC003, its the bottle with the orange label.

james44

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 10:10:38 pm »
Niceandclean bond-it will not sell it to you unless you are a company, remember i asked you about it on a previous post, i am still trying to find a supplier

niceandclean

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 10:35:09 pm »
Oh right?? Can they not tell you who they supply it to in your area??? Im sure if you go to your local plastic supplier you will be able to get it or something similar. if you want ill send you a bottle.

james44

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 12:35:48 am »
Yep that would be great niceandclean can you e-mail me   james@thomson1988.fsnet.co.uk   thanks

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 12:42:12 am »
Re they want the glass cleaned to. YES not worth doing unless the glass is cleaned to at same time me thinks.

What price would people charge for this???? i.e. the UPVC bit, the glass i can take care of :D

Yes I was asking about the glass with my tongue stuck firmly in my cheek   :)
As for pricing, it's hard to say as a lot can depend on how ingrained the dirt is.  I see that £120 has been suggested but, realistically, I don't think you are likely to get that much in that area.  I suppose have a guess at how long it's likely to take you, calculate this against the hourly rate you want to earn - then add some to make sure as add-ons often take a bit longer than expected.  Also factor in the cost of any special chemicals you may buy and add a handling fee as you have to make the journeey and take the time to get them.