This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

brett walker

Bid Fair - just bought this
« on: March 27, 2006, 09:41:13 pm »
Hi everyone

for all you that sent kk your email for the free stationary set from ebay

Ive just recieved an email from bid fair telling me that theyve got copyright

Has anyone else recieved one ?

Looks like Philip Hanson was right

Brett

wightsurf

Re: Bid Fair - just bought this
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 10:17:55 pm »
ant copyright thing only if being sold on. it was a gift (yep) ;D for a friend ;D ;D

or two.......twenty two+

P @ F

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 11:27:12 pm »
OOOH IM SHAKIN .......

I JUST GOT ONE TOO !

IF HE IS THAT BOTHERED ABOUT IT I WILL MAIL IT BACK TO HIM , SOME OF IT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS DONE BY A 2 YEAR OLD ANYWAY !

HOPE HES READING THIS  ;D

RICH P@F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

S.C.S

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 12:06:45 am »
Ive had the email to i look forward to his reply T##T

jayjackson

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 11:04:46 am »
wasn't made clear that the item was copywrited.
Didn't receive a copy anyway.
From the comments on it, glad I didn't.

Jay
London, Greater London, England, UK

kkawindows

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 11:48:06 am »
o well got a slap on the bum LOL well it was the biggest load of rubbish ever my 1 year old son could of done a better job, anyway i will keep all my ebay purchases quite now LOL better go the rain has finally stopped time to do some work

Ian_Giles

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 04:21:40 pm »
I really don't know, but I'm sure you have to pay for copyright??

If you are selling an item that is little more than a file you can move from computer to computer, unless you have it protected, how on earth can you stop it being passed around??
Whoever he is may have shown a little enterprize, but I don't see there is anything to stop people sharing it around, so long as they are not excepting money for it I don't quite see what can be done about it.
He has bought it, it is his property to do with as he sees fit....isn't it??

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Philip Hanson

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 04:50:44 pm »
Having had some of my written material "borrowed" by people on occasion, I have seen that there is often confusion between copyright and trademarking.

Copyright is the right to copy, disseminate, reproduce, publicly perform etc and share original work.  You don't have to pay for it, you don't even have to apply for it.  As soon as you create a piece of original written work (with some exceptions) you own the copyright to it, and no-one can reproduce or use it without your permission. The © symbol is used to remind people that a piece of work is original, or reproduced with permission.

A common writers trick to prove they own the copyright to original work is to send a copy of the work in a sealed envelope to themselves.  When left unopened, the postmark serves as proof of the date of creation, and is admissable in court.

Trademarking is totaly different.  You can apply for a word, phrase or symbol to  become a trademark, and if successful it has the ® next to it.  You have to apply for this, and there is a fee.  Not all trademark applications are successful.  (you can't, for example, trademark the word "and" because then people would need your permission to reproduce it.  Still, McDonalds recently tried to trademark "Mc" and attempted to sue a restraunt owner called Mr McSomething.  Thankfully there were unsuccessful.)

As soon as you produce original work, you own the copyright to it, and can sue anyone who uses it without your permission.  The Bid Fair lot are quite right in that they own the copyright to their own work.  However, I wouldn't hold your breath on the legal action, sueing for breach of copyright is expensive and difficult, and nobody in their right mind would go to court over £2.99.  Still, it IS their work and I'd be cheesed off too if I was them!

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 05:11:18 pm »
I've had an e-bay message from Bid Fair saying that if I had a complaint about their product, I should've contacted them direct and I may have got a refund; rather than complain about it here.  It went on to say that any advertising, even 'negative advertising' was 'good advertising'.

So I don't think Bid Fair is too upset about it.

Not only that, I purchased it on the basis of the thread that offered to give it away.

So Bid Fair is probably 'up' £2.99 than he wouldn't have had if that thread had appeared.

It is naff though.

I'm going to leave him some negative feedback on e-bay.  Apparently sellers hate that! ;)