This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

petra

Hard floor problem
« on: February 19, 2004, 01:16:36 am »
Well just come across a floor that has been coated in varnish (oil based)
Any of you have idea's on how to strip it (using paint stripper at the mo)
Petra

Les

Re: Hard floor problem
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 11:21:11 am »
Hi Petra,
I haven't noticed you on the site recently  :'( Busy stripping that floor by the looks of it  :)
Have you tried Mike B to see what Express might have ?
Is it the oil base that's the trouble, oh, and what type of flooring is it ?
I've used a product called 'Floorstrip' with reasonable success and I will check with my supplier to see if suitable once I know about the type of flooring involved.
Les

petra

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 12:34:27 pm »
tried all normal strippers to no avail, not been on site, as Im just going throught marital breakdown m8, but im fine, actualy very happy. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Petra

Les

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 10:27:33 pm »
Hi Petra,
glad to read second half of you reply, (keep smilin  ;D but not in public places because people think you've lost the plot  ;D :D ;) )
So what type of flooring was it ?

Darren_Sharpe

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 07:31:01 pm »
Hi Petra

If you could let me know a little more about the surface you are trying to clean and the type of covering (layers)I may be able to help but only if it is definately oil based.

regards

darren Sharpe
Clean Hydrocarbons (Oils, Diesel, Petrol, Grease, Fats etc) Easily with Bioremediation Products From www.soilandwater.net

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 08:57:53 pm »
;)
Hi Petra,

Call this company cleaning systems uk you will get them on this web site www.cleaning-systems-uk.com
ask for Gordon the do alot of produts for stripping and sealing wooden floors.

Regards Barry..

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;) ;) ;)

petra

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 11:42:55 pm »
it was varnish....... :(
petra

adl

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 09:21:23 pm »
most floor strippers are used for sealents only if it is varnish as you say then i would ether find out what was the brand used and contact the manufacture for the stripping agent (most manufacturers make a stripping agent for their sealents however if it is varnish then you will most probebly have to sand the floor we do alot of pubs that have been dimond glazed and the only way to get them stripped is with a belt sander (about 20 quid a day all hire shops have them working along the length of the timber gives a very even finish, be carefull if using this method on domestics as most belt sanders only come upto 240 grit paper so if you are re-varnishing the floor then following the first coat give the hardened varnish a light sand prior to the second coat to give it an nice finsh.