Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

creighton foyle

wool rug
« on: April 12, 2014, 12:37:35 pm »
going to look at a 30 year old wool rug (moroccan ) on monday it is white with some brown and black in it, it has been cleaned before and i want to clean it with dry fusion are there likely to be any problems with it ?

Robin Ray

Re: wool rug
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 02:36:05 pm »
Possibly dye bleed even with dry fusion. Test well and if there is any doubt perhaps clean with dry granules Host etc. I have had good results using sebo duo P and a very fine mist of microspliter. I like duo P as it vacs up easily.

stuart_clark

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 04:34:56 pm »
Had a photo sent to me a couple of weeks ago, tibeten 100% wool rug valued before cleaning £2.500
Service master qoted £150 to take away clean and return dry and guarded
The owner of the rug thought that was too expensive so he hired a rug doctor!
Result ? Totally Stuffed the brown image has migrated all over the cream boarder!
some folk will never learn

wynne jones

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 04:57:25 pm »
Had a photo sent to me a couple of weeks ago, tibeten 100% wool rug valued before cleaning £2.500
Service master qoted £150 to take away clean and return dry and guarded
The owner of the rug thought that was too expensive so he hired a rug doctor!
Result ? Totally Stuffed the brown image has migrated all over the cream boarder!
some folk will never learn

Had this few times and have no sympathy, especially when they ring you hoping you can fix it.

The problem testing hand made rugs is the same colour you tested at one end may not be the same at the other. Always best to pass it on and learn from someone who does it proper.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Derek_Walker

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 10:18:38 am »
Although I like dry fusion, I wouldn't use it on a rug. if you don't have the proper training and equipment it would be better to pass on this type of work as you could end up owning it.

creighton foyle

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 07:54:18 am »
i went to see the rug yesterday and the customer said it was previously done in a rug bath. I told her i could do it in situ for my minimum charge which is £60 but she was not interested.

I don't just have a df machine and i have just treated myself to an alltec express twin vac with inline heater.

John Kelly

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 09:22:20 am »
You shouln't have any problems cleaning rugs like this as long as you follow the simple rules of thoroughly pre-testing and use appropriate products to clean with such as Oriental Rug Shampoo.
This can be a very good income source as there are a lot more rugs out there now than in the recent past.
You should also not have fixed pricing as this should always depend on the value of the item you are working on. 10% is a good figure to start with.
This should also apply to your general cleaning, why would you charge someone in a small flat the same as someone in a large country house.
In the latter your liability exposure goes through the roof so you should be pricing to reflect that.

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 11:26:20 am »
...............also if you decide to uplift and clean rugs at your own premises make sure you are covered for working on them when they arent in the customers possession and that you are covered for transporting the rugs and as a bailee.