This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

would you employ?

yes
27.6%
8 (27.6%)
No
20.7%
6 (20.7%)
Sub contract
17.2%
5 (17.2%)
wife/partner
24.1%
7 (24.1%)
An Alien!
10.3%
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

carl stanton

employing guys?/gals on domestic
« on: March 24, 2006, 01:17:49 pm »
does anyone find any value in employing people to help on domestic work, does it really pay on all levels as in £, service, reputation n' so on, got plenty of domestic, more people want me [to clean windows ;D] and i could pull in loads more work with the right effort. ta! carl

Sarah Sarill

Re: employing guys?/gals on domestic
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 01:36:47 pm »
That sounds like a simplr qiestion Carl but it clearly needs a lot of further thought.

Firstly you have to decide what you want to happen to your business in the future.  Are you happy to continue to develope your round to a stage where you can manage it on your own, provide that one-to-one good service and earn a tidy income OR do you have expansion plans involving marketing, extra vans etc and eventually have the staffing levels to allow you to manage rather than do the w/c.

If you say you have the potential to expand in your market place and have the drive to do it then, after some careful business planning I would say 'go for it'.  Make sure you have a detailed timescale and cost implications in place as you will need to ensure your on-going profitability at all stages.  recruitment is a minefield so, if you have not done it before I would suggest attending a course all about legalities and paperwork requirements which are free at the Inland Revenue.

Also plan and schedule a specific marketing campaign with set timescales for each level whether it is leaflet dropping, advertising, commercial campaigns and be preapred to work hard to meet your targets.

Alternatively, like any it may be that you want to earn XXXXX per montgh and keep a good work-home ratio.  Expand to a level that suits you are your situation but the same as above plan it. 

Others here may and have said, just do it, dont dither and plan. I remember someone saying 'w/c is not rocket science just go out and knock on doors' but running and growing it does take time and effort.  In my huble opinion you should do some groundwork first and then just go for whatever level you decide you want to.

Good luck whatever but should you have any questions, please just ask away.  You will get answers that cover both sides of the coin so have an open mind.

Sarah

Sarah

carl stanton

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 02:09:00 pm »
thanks!!
been thinking of it on and off, its not the work that would be the problem, its getting the right people and dealing with them. got a sub con though and im wooping him into shape, not that he's bad

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 02:19:41 pm »
In our experience staffing was always the problem with expansion.  Recruitment, standards of work and dedication are on-going issues. 

We have trained 2 people who have since left and gone-it alone.  How frustrating and time consuming this alone can be.  We made a decision last year that we would maintain and develope the business through hand-picking profitable clients (both residential and commercial) and that I would help out on the large rounds when needed.

It has worked well, so far and we are both happy that the standard of our work and the persona of the company is a high one.

Sarah
Sarah

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 04:58:48 pm »
the secret carl is to find the right person,
having done that then yes it does pay
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 06:44:46 pm »
What puts me off is the employer's liability insurance.  From what I've read here it costs a couple of grand.

You need this even if your employee doesn't climb a ladder.

He could trip over a hose and the next thing you know he's phoning a 'no win no fee' solicitor.

I think the days when you 'employ' people on a 'sub-contract' basis are gone.  If your 'employed sub-contractor' messed up with his self-assessment; and 'told on you', you would become liable for all his tax and NI payments; and I bet you'd get a fine too. 

You just know your own income would be closely scrutinised also and it's no good saying, 'but I only earn £15K per year', when you're found to be employing someone.

Not only that, your competition may inform the tax-man if they want to have a dig at you.

I once considered informing the tax man with regards to a local (now ex) window cleaner who employed a 'sub-contractor' (this window cleaner attempted to threaten me). 

But I didn't in the end; though wish I did!

I've also heard stories about employees deciding to leave and become self-employed, and taking many customers with them.

Be carefull is my advice.

carl stanton

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 07:11:17 pm »
totally my thoughts tosh
will have to rethink about the sub contracting :-X 
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D hey life is good though aint it :D :D ??? :D :D :D :D

eddie d

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 11:25:58 pm »
carl ive been down the employing road many times.it has never really worked.
i also go down the subbing road this is cheaper and has no holiday pay sick pay ,waiting for people to turn up.on and on .
however now po9les are used it opened the game up a bit and more people are capable of doing the job so it may be easier to find good workers.
mmmmmmmmmmmmm

brett walker

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 01:29:47 am »
Good workers are very hard to find like rocking horse s**t

I have a worker known as broken flask, hes used every excuse in the book to have time off.  He has got me over a barrel as he knows i need him because ive got a lot of work but im doing my best to get rid of him.  Example end of yesturday my van broke down and all he was bothered about was getting home he wouldnt even get out and give me a push

I have had many workers over the years and cant get anyone to stick it, i am planning on keeping enough work for myself and selling some on .  Its less hassel

I f you get a good worker look after him

Brett

carl stanton

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 10:41:22 am »
 ::) i know what you mean brett, we are just the cream of the crop [smug git] the few willing to really work hard an pull our finger out
i think i'll just go for the well paid work!

Morph

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 10:49:55 am »
No one will ever do a job for you as well as you can do it for yourself.  If you take people on, you have to accept that as fact.  So you pay them what they are worth??

carl stanton

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 11:37:59 am »
spot on  pj ! prehaps i should just get the wife to go out an i'll do the ''paperwork''  ;D

carl stanton

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 04:51:57 pm »
ps :'( dont forget to sign the petition!! ;D

Browns Associated cleaners

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 07:48:28 pm »
filtering is the key this takes a long time i employed 9 men [ down to 6 now with wfp ]  all good workers but youve got to pay well , injust the last 4 yrs must have had 20  try and gone its like any thing else theres those who want to work and those who dont

steve k

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 07:55:15 pm »
only tried it the once...swapped him for an Ipod...much cheaper to run, no insurances required and much better company ;D

ronaldo

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 10:13:48 pm »
Used to have a lad working for me for about 2 years and i was glad to see the back of him when i told him to take a hike. To many days off, unreliable always just wanted to get home. And i dont care what anybody says an employee will not take as much pride in his job or clean the windows as good as the man who pays his money. After he,d gone and i was a 1 man band again i got rid of all the crap work that i,d taken on to keep us both busy and concentrated on all the nice stuff. 18 months on and i could not be happier. Just gone water fed and everything is is ticking along nicely. As for employing anyone i,ll leave that to the wanna be millionaires.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

gaza

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 11:41:27 pm »
broken flask is my name for  BRETTS sherka  ;D
its the only excuse hes not used to have a day off.

got to have the day off cus ive broken my flask,WOULD BE  the last staw for BRETT
OR WOULD YOU BE LAUGHING TO MUCH BRETT?

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

carl stanton

Re: employing guys?/gals on domestic New
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 10:26:48 pm »
hey guy's and gals you've all been really great help, steve  i have the i-pod, if to loud cant hear the customer wanting to pay me ::). like everything its work to acheive it well! as in eploying!