Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Should the Guild of Master Window Cleaners go further than having members that can just prove that they have insurance?

Just insurance is enough for membership
71.4%
25 (71.4%)
Insurance and health and safety competence must be them min joining requirments
2.9%
1 (2.9%)
Insurance, H&S and window cleaning competence must be acquired for membership
25.7%
9 (25.7%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Lee Burbidge

Which level?
« on: March 18, 2014, 05:34:07 pm »
Hi, we are looking at what the Guild should really stand for. As well as professionalism, do you think members should stand for a whole lot more like proving your insured, that you have had H&S training and/or if you have competence training....... me? I think Insurance and safety are the two big one's. What do you think?

...and I am fully aware that the Guild is not for every business  ;D

paul13

Re: Which level?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 05:39:10 pm »
Bit OTT me thinks ::)roll

DeLuce

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 05:59:51 pm »
Hi Lee, if someone is insured/public liability , this would show a decent sense of legitimacy I would have thought. Especially when you consider the cowboys that come out late spring/summer time just for the beer money!
There is also the kind of window cleaning that a persons business may do. For example, I'm predominantly domestic with a few small business cleans thrown in. Therefore, I have little call for complicated h & s regs, just need basic common sense. However, others may be mainly big commercial cleaners requiring more stringent h&s requirements. But if you needed the h&s reqs to qualify for the Guild , it may isolate some potential members like myself who don't particularly need extra quals (or the extra expense acquiring them) from becoming members.

CleanClear

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 06:21:32 pm »
I think Insurance is a must. Its straightforward, its either yes or no that you have it.
Good question regarding H&S and/or competence quals. My guess is not a lot will have it (them), that may preclude a lot of people. Or make them up their game to be able to join?
Can't make my mind up on the last two.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

tlwcs

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 06:42:28 pm »
I agree with the last two.
Insurance as the minimum to join, but then all the relavant help with paperwork for those who are mainly sole traders that get to quote a big one occasionally. A bit like the FSB.
Tony 

paul13

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 06:56:39 pm »
I agree with the help with paper work ect, but think the post is more
to do with the joining of the Guild, are you thinking of an elite organisation
Lee?
where only the high flying businesses might become members.
I have always found H&S for window cleaning pretty much common sense
and in my experience haven't needed qualifications for window cleaning or
work/contracts but maybe I need to up my game ::)roll

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 07:14:42 pm »
I would leave H&S out of it for membership to be honest. Please don't ruin what has been excellent up to now.

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 08:23:22 pm »
What about varied levels of membership that you can sign up to as your business grows, should you want to grow it? Would that work? So, standard membership insurance only then H&S next level up...

I would like the Guild to appeal to prospect customers if I can, too, so that companies know coming to the Guild for their national branches is a smart one stop solution. That be kinda neat too. Yes, defo help with them risk assessments and forms. I agree smaller companies might be happy just sticking with residential and the odd commercial but if the Guild could support those that want that extra 10K contract on top of that and the 10K contract requires H&S stuff your not used to then the Guild should be able to help if you need it.....

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 08:31:39 pm »
What about varied levels of membership that you can sign up to as your business grows, should you want to grow it? Would that work? So, standard membership insurance only then H&S next level up...

I would like the Guild to appeal to prospect customers if I can, too, so that companies know coming to the Guild for their national branches is a smart one stop solution. That be kinda neat too. Yes, defo help with them risk assessments and forms. I agree smaller companies might be happy just sticking with residential and the odd commercial but if the Guild could support those that want that extra 10K contract on top of that and the 10K contract requires H&S stuff your not used to then the Guild should be able to help if you need it.....

NO NO NO!!

tlwcs

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 08:38:57 pm »

NO NO NO!!
+1

rosskesava

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 08:42:00 pm »

NO NO NO!!
+1

+2 Absolutely NO NO NO
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 09:14:45 pm »
Can a sunday afternoon football referee take charge of a Premier league match?
Why should someone with a £60 insurance certificate be entitled/considered to take  charge of a large 2,3,5, 10k contract?

Standards are a must.
IMO

paul13

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 09:17:33 pm »

Sorry Lee I'm confused :P
So are you meaning different levels of membership offered or
need for qualifications to join?
Am I right in thinking H&S can be done in house as this is my experience when
going for contracts or is there a need for qualifications from outside I don't know about?

Window Lickers

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 09:18:34 pm »
How d'you prove you have health and safety competence?
Liberace's ex looking to meet well built men for cottaging meets.

paul13

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 09:20:26 pm »
Can a sunday afternoon football referee take charge of a Premier league match?
Why should someone with a £60 insurance certificate be entitled/considered to take  charge of a large 2,3,5, 10k contract?

Standards are a must.
IMO

Now I am confused, if the £60 insurance covers the person to do the job why not?

paul13

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 09:21:03 pm »
How d'you prove you have health and safety competence?
+1

Window Lickers

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 09:21:11 pm »
I would have thought a tax return too if you want to be kosher!

Window Lickers

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 09:21:33 pm »
A certificate proving your tank was professionally fitted.

Window Lickers

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 09:22:01 pm »
That you only use Gardiner extreme poles on a day to day basis.

wfp master

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 09:23:01 pm »
so the more insurance you have the better window cleaner you are. ::)roll