This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

lisa123

bus fares and travel allowances
« on: March 17, 2006, 02:37:46 pm »
does anyone know what or if  and how i go about this.
I am thinking of paying a travel allowance for my cleaner, as she has a large travel to work area, and travels by bus as she hasn't passed her test yet.

If she were to buy a week or day rider on the bus what amount would be fair? 10% 25%? 50%? 75%? 100%? of the cost.

Also we would reimburse her once the ticket expires or end of the week if only got day riders (maxiumum 3 days per week work)

How do i do this the inland rev way?
Any help would be great, thanks
 lisa

BSF

Re: bus fares and travel allowances
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 08:13:11 pm »
Hi Lisa,

I'd buy her a cheap bike from Halfords... ;D ;D it'd be less hassle... and it'd get her fit :o

Regards

Paul
Regards

BSF

dustycorner

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 08:25:37 pm »
Hi Lisa,

Am i right in thinking you are willing to pay your employee for travelling to work.

Cheers Mark.

domestic bliss

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 09:44:11 pm »
Crikey lisa you are being very generous paying your cleaners transport costs.  Surely she chose to work for you so it's up to her to sort herself out.

lisa123

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 02:33:24 pm »
she will be travelling a long way around until i sort other work out.
maybe i'm being too soft. I'll not mention it until she does

Sarah S & P Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 02:43:21 pm »
Hi,
I dont think your too soft at all, its hard enough as it is to find very good cleaners that are reliable and hard working that help give your company a great reputation.
Any company can get cleaners for minimum wage and no incentives of any kind but you just end up with a team of unreliable, slow, and couldnt care less staff which is what we have found when we have taken over contracts youd think there was no cleaning at all done for the year before.
If your profiting enough to be able to afford help for the sometimes unappreciated cleaner then thats great.
Unhappy staff dont stay long and if they do they might as well not bother!
PS I would pay half of her weekly ticket on a week behind basis
Cleaning gets me hot !!!

dustycorner

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 08:22:29 pm »
Hi Lisa,

dustycorner

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 08:36:13 pm »
Hi Lisa,

she will be travelling a long way around until i sort other work out.

Will you remove travel allowance at a later date when  you provide her with more work, won't that cause resentment on her part. If you are providing her with a fair wage, good working environment, support then why should you pay for her travel expenses she took the job on knowing the logistics involved you a
tre her employer not her mother. Don't want to rain on your parade but i feel you may be making a rod for your own back.What would happens if another employee who lives nearer hears that a colleague is getting subsidised travel.

Hi Scoobie,

Couldn't understand the relevance of the comment re minimum wage, i'm sure everyone agrees with you that paying minimum wage is a false economy "pay peanut get monkeys". There are other ways to motivate staff other than financial.although that will always be the overiding factor that someone works for you.

Cheers Mark.

lisa123

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 12:26:56 pm »
Hi All
I'll not bother then.
£4.50 per day day rider, when shes only earning £30 per day maximum and only £10.25 minimum per day.

lets work it out.
3 days per week.
day 1 4hrs work
day 2 2.5hrs work
day 3 5.0hrs work
I'm starting pay at £5.25 per hour

11.5*5.25= £60.38
bus fares £4.50*3=£13.50

if anyone can take a look at multimap. She lives in minsterely, shropshire and will mostly be working around shrewsbury, but there is one in Newport Telford, which she will be working with my business partner on, once per month.
All zones dayrider will allow her to travel all across the midlands but its a long day for only a couple hours work.
I spose if she wants to do it then thats fine.

dustycorner

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 12:44:06 pm »
Hi

Thats all very well, she took the job on knowing what was involved, how long before she learns to drive if her travel is paid for her there will be no urgency on her part to achieve this.

I'm not having a dig but if you knew the job required staff to travel why employ someone who can't drive?

Cheers Mark.

lisa123

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 06:27:38 pm »
errm, something to do with needing a staff member, more urgently than one who can drive.
Out of 50 applicants we had, not one of them could drive.
Shock to the system, but myself and biz partner can not drive either!

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 06:44:35 pm »
...Shock to the system, but myself and biz partner can not drive either!

We did not start expanding business, before my partner passed her driving test... Cannot see you running your business without a car...
Best wishes
Arthur

lisa123

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 07:30:55 pm »
we are learning to drive, and we have done alright so far, as regards to running our business.
why shouldnt i be able to run my biz without a car? If i need to go anywhere out of the area on big cleans eot etc where we require equipment, by partner takes us.
we book these at weekends, cos we dont have time to do them in the week. too many regulars to attend to.

BSF

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 07:41:09 pm »
we are learning to drive, and we have done alright so far, as regards to running our business.
why shouldnt i be able to run my biz without a car? If i need to go anywhere out of the area on big cleans eot etc where we require equipment, by partner takes us.
we book these at weekends, cos we dont have time to do them in the week. too many regulars to attend to.

Hi,

I think that all Arthur is trying to say that it is a little bit easier if you have your own transport, I have to agree  ::)

Regards

Paul
Regards

BSF

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 07:54:27 pm »
...why shouldnt i be able to run my biz without a car?
Lisa,
I did not mean it, Paul got me right.
...Cannot see you running your business without a car...
Instead of saying this I  ::) should have said:
Cannot see us running our business without two cars.
Best wishes,
Arthur

lisa123

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 08:55:30 pm »
i know it would be easier,  ;)
i never take the easy option in life, it would go against my whole lifes philosophy if i made things easy for myself  ;D

BSF

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 09:15:28 pm »
It's a good job you dont want to be a driving instructor ;D ;D ;D ;D

Regards

BSF

lisa123

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 09:50:12 pm »
what do you mean by that???

I know i'm a stresshead  ;D
I'm really placid until someone pees me off

BSF

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 10:38:17 pm »
what do you mean by that???

I know i'm a stresshead  ;D
I'm really placid until someone pees me off

It means.... its a good job you dont want to be a driving instuctor...

;D ;D ;D ;D

because you'd have to know how to drive a car to be one ::) ::)

Regards

Paul
Regards

BSF

lisa123

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 10:48:16 pm »
 ::) ;D

dont you miss karl? I do