This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Neil Jones

Commercial
« on: October 14, 2013, 09:36:48 pm »
Hi, after some advice.

I've done a few small commercial jobs but I've been offered the chance to quote on quite a large paving slab clean on a housing estate in front of some shops.

I couldn't say how large it is but I've estimated two days work without taking into consideration down time for moving, cordoning off etc.

I've done plenty of commercial cleaning with carpets and general cleaning but not pressure washing. Obviously I'm going to break it up into areas but do you think cones and signs is enough, or would you use barriers.

My main issue is waste water? I'm presuming this won't block drains because it is slabs but there is very little drainage points.

My main issue is water, there is no water access, as in a tap, I carry a 1000 lt IBC but have never used a stand pipe, who does? Can you explain what to do?

I don't want to pass this job as it's a great one for the website and the company I'm doing it for could potentially pass me a lot of work.

Cheers

BDCS

Re: Commercial
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 10:15:00 pm »
Two whole days on slabs is a big job to even think about transporting water if your not set up to do it. Why do you not just "engage a fellow contractor" to "assist" who maybe better set up. I work out of hours on these jobs and there will be a water source somewhere nearby. You may have to use a hydrant but work with the agent as they may have a cleaners cupboard or a landlords supply tucked away under a stairway or, dark corner, toilets or a washing machine tap in a shop - pay the shop for the water. Be prepared to wake up next to a horses head if your stepping into the local firms patch

Neil Jones

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 08:21:00 am »
It's local to me so I'm ok but it is on one of the roughest estates in the area, something like only 10% of people on the estate have a job.

I've thought about it over night and yes transporting water isn't going to work, didn't think it would anyway.

I'm pretty sure there is a laundrette on there which may have a tap but it's still down time when filling up as it would be impossible on some areas to keep it on fill and work.

Does anyone know the charges for hydrants? Or am I being naive?

Don't really want to work out of hours on this job for obvious reasons, including wanting to keep hold of my equipment.

Richy L

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 08:27:53 am »
Welsh water charge around £80 a month for unlimited water and £280 stand pipe hire deposit

Matt Gibson

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 10:50:09 am »
Standpipe will be the way to go. Contact your local water company. Should be able to pay monthly like richy said. Get another guy to help you, run hoses, stay near the van etc. Worked on a few jobs like that and you need someone keeping an eye on your van/kit. Cones and barrier tape is all i use unless specified. Its a ball ache carting the big barriers everywhere.

Neil Jones

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 10:59:36 am »
Cheers, just checked for United utilities it's £50.83 for stand pipe and £1.59 per cubic metre plus the dreaded.

Never hired a standpipe so how do I run this to the pressure washer? Just the normal hose I use?

Neil Jones

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 11:01:07 am »
My dads a retired fireman so might stick him £50 a day to do a lot of sitting around and showing me what is what with the standpipe.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 11:48:28 am »
http://www.water.org.uk/home/our-members/find-water-company

This is a map of which companies cover various areas.

Ring the one relevant to you. They will ask you whether you want a 22mm or 50mm, they will be metered. Hire will be a deposit and a given m3 per day of usage, 10m3 and up to 20m3. As long as you don't go over the agreed amount there will be no further charges.

You need to check this as each area operates differently.

Standpipes are a piece of pee to work, just fix an an appropriate hose and fill away. If you can use the agreed amount per day I will eat my vans (both of them)

Rob ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 11:51:31 am »
We've been pulled a couple of times, for not having a metered standpipe. They tend to be ok and warn you of what could happen but do not take it lightly. The fine for 'stealing' water can be up to £5000.00

Rob ;D

Neil Jones

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 12:25:33 pm »
Cheers Rob, tbh from what it would cost £100 tops for the job then it wouldn't be worth me not paying. I'm more concerned with the nice locals in the area taking a liking to my equipment.
I spoke to the guy who did some landscaping there and he said the public just ignored his barriers and walked right through them, even moved cones to get a pram through. Looking forward to that.

Just have to price it now.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 12:32:44 pm »
What area is it Neil?

Rob ;D

Blast Away

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 02:45:06 pm »
Neil if you want me to look at it let me know.

You'll need to pick up a stand pipe from Great Sankey in Warrington.

drive surgeon

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 07:39:35 pm »
Make sure you factor into the price the cost of stand pipe plus water and time waiting filling tank etc.  I wouldn't pay monthly for a stand pipe as most jobs we go to have a supply.  We have been ok for 20 years without one.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 08:15:38 pm »
Is it Moss side. Have you ever done any work over there Lee?

Rob ;D

BDCS

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 08:29:21 pm »
I went into Moss side by mistake while I was looking for Sale water park when I raced jetski's. Makes Gypsy camps seem like the Ritz

Rob_Mac

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 09:00:38 pm »
We worked a store in Fallowfields, next door.

They told us to keep out of there - don't know how bad it is or whether it is hyped up.

Lee will tell us

Rob ;D

Blast Away

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 09:55:06 pm »
There's no work in Moss Side.

Carl, you were way out there mate!

BDCS

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 10:16:00 pm »
No sat navs in those days  :'(

Neil Jones

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 10:32:25 pm »
It's in Rochdale Rob, other side of Greater Manchester. Still undecided, the guy is expecting the quote through on Thursday. Not had chance today because I didn't get in till gone 8pm and I've been sorting cleaning work out.

I might do Lee, was thinking about it, I'll let you know tomorrow. Why do I have to go to Warrington for the stand pipe? If I get this job I'm going to upgrade my PW I think.

I wouldn't ever fancy working in Moss Side, but this place can't be far behind!

TheWindowManChris

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 10:58:56 pm »
I did a same sort job for Council off pavement.   I think I just went to council and asked for some metal railings and linked them together.    But we were in estate and got bricks thrown at us. 

If your worried about stuff getting nicked I would say start early and do your prep day before and start early and when you finish just be ready to take everything.   I was lucky as I used a Council Office to store my stuff.