This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Whizz-Bizz

Canvassing Exposed
« on: October 08, 2013, 04:15:08 pm »
What I’m going to do is just highlight a few things that you should look out for to avoid hiring the wrong person or the wrong team for your business.

1: Do they have a telephone number?

2: Do they always answer their phone or if they miss your call do they contact you back?

3: Do they have a website?

4: Are they on facebook?

5: Are they on twitter? 

6: Is there a contact address on any paperwork?

7: Will they produce photo identification?

8: Do they provide references that you can actually ring and verify using Google / Bing etc as genuine clients?

9: Have they been involved in window cleaning a long time or just starting up?

10: When paying money do they always insist on cash hence no papertrail?

If you’re considering hiring a canvassing firm and you have said no to 5 or more of these statements, be wary of hiring them and I would perhaps start small or not all.

Now here are some additional things you should ask your prospective canvasser / canvassing team and the things you need to hear.

Q: How soon can I start cleaning the work after you have booked it?

A: In traditional high pressure sales environments such as double glazing, kitchen, bathroom, timeshare sales the normal procedure is to service a customer as soon as possible i.e. same day or the next day this is done as the level of interest is at its highest point and doesn’t allow them to think about it, as time goes by the level of interest drops. Now in window cleaning as most people actually want that first clean your better off getting the customers to wait and to think about it, after all if they were really that interested waiting a week is no big deal. I also believe that if you allow the bookings to be made for the following day you’re letting the canvasser control your business. Also what if it rains? or van blows up? You end up looking unreliable.

Q: What exactly am I getting for my money?

A: If it sounds too amazing or over the top get your calculator out do the math, at that point if your thinking this team are not good business people i.e. not making decent money, chances are they are just trying to con you by offering too much. 

Q: What is the canvasser’s liability on cancellations?

A: The minimum you should ask for is 2 cleans, if this is agreed the canvasser should be prepared to either re-knock or refund the difference if this occurs. 

Q: How are they going to present the customer information?

A: This should always be presented on a spreadsheet if they just give you a scribbled in notepad it just says laziness’ if they are lazy on the paperwork what are they going to be like on the door or with representing your business.

Q: How soon can you get to me?

A: If they are ready to drop everything and take you on straight away it’s not a good sign, particularly if they have contacted you. 

Q: How quickly can you knock the work in?

A: I would suggest £200 a day per man as an average ask how many people they have working at any particular time and again get your calculator out do the math.

Q: Ask yourself have I found these people advertising themselves in a clear and transparent manner?

A: You occasionally see canvassing teams advertising established rounds that turn out to be canvassed work. It’s not a great way to start a business
relationship. At this stage I would walk away.

In closing I really hope that people have found this helpful and that it saves a few people from parting with their hard earned money to any dubious canvassers or canvassing teams.

Many thanks for taking the time to read

Whizz
Marketing solutions for window cleaners
https://www.facebook.com/WhizzBizzSales

windymiller

Re: Canvassing Exposed
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 04:24:46 pm »
Why have you posted this whiz,  have you heard some horror stories of late that we should know of?

Positivity

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 04:27:05 pm »
Do they really have to be on Facebook and Twitter?

Whizz-Bizz

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 04:36:03 pm »
Yea I have actually, its all over ebay, gumtree. Really bad. A firm popped up took loads of deposits its every where. I heard in 1 case they were close to closing the deal and he was dragging his heals a bit. He received an email from them saying pay into the western union asap for an extra £200 in work. So obviously he is yes please, tried calling them phone disconetted so alarm bells going he called the police. They informed him that the team in question is being investigated for serious fraud. I investigated when posts started appearing all over internet. The Ebay 1 is in Melton Mowbury which I have a client in I rang him. He made some calls and this is where that storys come from.

When things like this happen its damaging for legitimate crews.

They dont have to be on fb/twitter but you need something, and I think its an indication how long they've been going

windymiller

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 04:40:50 pm »
Do you know the name of this company,  I saw the warnings on Gumtree and eBay last week and posted them on here ;D

Whizz-Bizz

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 04:48:11 pm »
Ah your the reason I started investigating, the Ebay account looked 100% genuine window cleaner. Ive just text my source a text to see if the original poster is prepared to step from the shadows and reveal his identity. If he is Ill put him up

windymiller

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 04:55:49 pm »
I messaged the guy who put the warnings up last week on ebay asking him to come on ere and tell his story but got no reply.   >:(

Whizz-Bizz

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 05:03:02 pm »
The guy should be applauded, what those people did was disgusting

roundbuilder

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 05:05:27 pm »
Name n shame name n shame......

A good honest thread this whizz.. A good read and true to the point as well.
It shows you care about the cleaners you work for unlike some out there.

8weekly

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 05:07:45 pm »
Why have you posted this whiz,  have you heard some horror stories of late that we should know of?
Advertising.

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 06:32:26 pm »
Hi whizz - bizz jist wondered if you do canvassing in and around basingstoke

Whizz-Bizz

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 06:34:12 pm »
Its not 8 weekly if theres accusations on my rivals I want to know about them and people need to be clued up. Reason being these conmen make my job even harder, heres the email for the guy who did all the postings  de2a3n4@hotmail.co.uk if anyone wants to drop him an email he will forward all the correspondence from him and this firm. I had someone else contact me today saying he knows someone that got clipped as well. Lets get everyone out the wood work. This way future con artists will think twice

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 06:43:05 pm »
I wouldn't trust any canvassers, at all . Get the custys yeh sen , or buy a round .

Bryan_Dolby

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 07:19:43 pm »
To whizz

To Mods
This topic should stay at the top so other window cleaners could learn from this

Have you thought of writting a editorial for FWC window talk and window cleaning magazine?

If  you get this information out now you could help some one else getting coned

Exelent work

Bryan
Bryan Dolby
( Member F.W.C.)
My opinons are my own and nothing to do with the federation of window cleaners

CHT

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 08:29:59 pm »
From what ive heard Whizz Bizz is the best on the block (if I can only sign in on my account name admin?)

CHT

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 08:53:47 pm »
Got to say ive heard nothing apart from positive results from Whizz as I work with some of his clients

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 06:50:02 pm »
do they want money up front you forgot that one billy whys that ??????   ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 09:35:51 pm »
To whizz

To Mods
This topic should stay at the top so other window cleaners could learn from this

Have you thought of writting a editorial for FWC window talk and window cleaning magazine?

If  you get this information out now you could help some one else getting coned

Exelent work

Bryan

I love Bryan's posts - a spelling Nazi's delight!  ;D

I particularly like the "Alexandra Swan" posts.
It's a game of three halves!

8weekly

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 09:37:43 pm »
To whizz

To Mods

If  you get this information out now you could help some one else getting coned

Exelent work

Bryan

I love Bryan's posts - a spelling Nazi's delight!  ;D

I particularly like the "Alexandra Swan" posts.
Yes. Being "coned" sounds painful.  ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 09:40:24 pm »
And the "exelent" report A-plan to the "Omibodsman miss selling" one followed by the oops got it wrong one.
It's a game of three halves!