This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

trippyboy

Ragging
« on: October 08, 2013, 01:37:20 pm »
Just had a bloke work opposite me with two scrims, one in hand other tucked in his trousers dangling down, up ladder ragging the windows  at a rapid rate of knots. Was almost gonna ask him if he knew a good accountant  ;D

bobplum

Re: Ragging
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 02:11:51 pm »
when i saw ragging i thought it might have been an extension of dogging or something similiar :- :-[

Positivity

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 04:30:50 pm »
Damp scrim, Dry scrim that was the way when I was a lad, before all this rubber squeegy and poles and stuff. ;D ;D ;D

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 04:34:01 pm »
You can all laugh

Back in the late 60's early 70's nearly all window cleaning was done by ragging - just one scrim, washed and wrung out almost dry.

Skilled shiners (with muscles like Popeye) could clean a window spotless in not much more time than it would take the average WFP man.

Every few windows he would dunk his scrim in his bucket and wring it out again, crack it like a pistol shot, shake it out and carry on.

Couldn't do it today, no such think as REAL scrim anymore.

Larger panes like shop fronts would be (grudgingly) squeegeed.

;)

pdale

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 04:36:48 pm »
crack it like a pistol shot

Thats the way I was taught ... whip each corner of the scrim  ;D
Where am I knocking today?

8weekly

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 05:17:04 pm »
You can all laugh

Back in the late 60's early 70's nearly all window cleaning was done by ragging - just one scrim, washed and wrung out almost dry.

Skilled shiners (with muscles like Popeye) could clean a window spotless in not much more time than it would take the average WFP man.

Every few windows he would dunk his scrim in his bucket and wring it out again, crack it like a pistol shot, shake it out and carry on.

Couldn't do it today, no such think as REAL scrim anymore.

Larger panes like shop fronts would be (grudgingly) squeegeed.

;)
This made me think of my dad who was a windy in the 70s. It was amazing how tight he could twist the scrim. He used a chamois first though, not a wet scrim. He always did shops with a squeegee though I think. Sadly he died about a year before I became a windy, but I remember working with him in the holidays and his tales of customers.  ;D

Frankybadboy

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 05:50:29 pm »
think what trippy is saying is that he ran out of water and had to get the ladder out and rag.

ive seen him many a time rag on head one in pocket.;)))

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 06:16:58 pm »
Just had a bloke work opposite me with two scrims, one in hand other tucked in his trousers dangling down, up ladder ragging the windows  at a rapid rate of knots. Was almost gonna ask him if he knew a good accountant  ;D
its called scriming the windows not ragging

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 06:22:43 pm »

Maybe to you young upstarts - us old pros have always called it ragging - my dad and his dad before him :P

Don Kee

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 07:25:38 pm »

Was going to ask if it was frank but i think he's taken to wearing lycra to work aswel as when cycling....

tom20001

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 07:26:29 pm »
when i saw ragging i thought it might have been an extension of dogging or something similiar :- :-[

lol

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 07:33:32 pm »

Maybe to you young upstarts - us old pros have always called it ragging - my dad and his dad before him :P
yep 59 years old, just a young man,cleaned windows for 37 years

concept

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 07:34:29 pm »
Ragging still has its place.

Recently we've had to do it on a University and currently on a Hospital.

Sometimes it's the best option.

TomCrowther

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 07:38:32 pm »
A guy near me uses scrim on the openers and soap and squeegie for the larger panes. I also have a large job in Bowdon, and when I took on the job, I asked the customer what technique the previous window cleaner used, because the windows were mint {frames, filters too}. "He just rubbed them with two cloths" Don't knock it.

stuart mc

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 07:44:47 pm »
I like ragging, anything to small for a 14inch squeegie gets ragged if trad, great on insides too

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 07:58:50 pm »
yep i started off ragging all windows back in 1992 when i worked for another cleaner.21 years later im still doing it albeit only on some small openers and little door windows! ;) ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

John pearce

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 09:02:23 pm »
Always got a rag in me pocket ...    ;D

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 09:41:31 pm »
ive got a ragtail

Geoff

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 10:05:41 pm »
Always got a rag in me pocket ...    ;D

Jammy git.

rosskesava

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 10:18:49 pm »
I do most internal windows by ragging. It's a bit labour intensive but easier, less messy and often quicker except I use a damp microfibre and a dry one. It's also a very quick way to do internal doors that have paines of glass in them as well as mirrors.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.