This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

bobplum

Re: Will this cause me grief?
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 07:31:11 am »
My brother in law has been kicked out by is girlfriend, currently he stays with his sister.
The words I would use to describe him as a person I can't put on here ;D
Although he does have job he's lazy, irresponsible, tells lies
like they are going out of fashion generally untrustworthy.
Nothings his fault even when he got drunk and drove head on into another car he blamed the other driver despite claiming to have no recollection of the incident.
He's on his backside, can't afford a place to live etc.
However he has a lovely 3 year old son same as me and it would appear he's trying to be a good father.
Its for this reason I'm attempting to set him up as a window cleaner.
I'm going to let him have a small round very cheap he can pay me when he's able.
I'm going lend him all my stuff so no outlay for him.
I'm even going to do the round with him and train him up.
Yet I can see nothing but grief for me I hope I'm wrong.
Would you do the same or just let him stand on his own 2 feet like I think I should?

will this cause me grief............ooohhh yes

windymiller

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 08:26:31 am »
The question is do you have the time to do all this? I  would take him on your round canvassing and cleaning for you. That way he is helping build your round and if he sticks at it and likes it then you can help him out.

Karl1991

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 08:41:29 am »
Sounds familiar to my brother. I believe you should give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance; you never know, he might really appreciate the opportunity and grab it with both hands.

If he does stick to it you could take a % of what he earns for all the help you gave him, then him & his son are happy whilst you're receiving a nice second income.

On the other hands if he fails then you have a chunk of work you can sell.

Good luck either way, you might get lucky for being so kind.

DG Cleaning

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 09:08:53 am »
If he decides to do it once he's paid me it will be his work to do with as he pleases, I won't be taking anything from it.

H20cleaning

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 09:15:19 am »
To be honest i used to work for my uncles Window cleaning business and did well, then he let me buy a van and rent some work... But i was 17 and obly did what i had to do so let a few customers down here and there, wich ended up him taking work back and me having to go it alone!
I regret been so lazy be because i could of had alot more work by now, however my business is starting to grow how i want it to:)
Just be prepared for a few family issues, but one day when he realises there i money to be made he might might love it

G Griffin

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 09:54:08 am »
Does anyone else think DG is just trying to get shut of some work?  ;D
I mean, it's half a day and he's got a job already. Someone taking up window cleaning isn't going to just change personality.
And it's trad; people usually jump on others considering starting off trad.

But at least you're trying to help, DG. The thing is, he might not see it like that or might not be the type to make it work.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

H20cleaning

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 12:04:14 pm »
Didnt realise it was trad... He might not want to do it now  :P

DG Cleaning

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 12:46:05 pm »
Does anyone else think DG is just trying to get shut of some work?  ;D
I mean, it's half a day and he's got a job already. Someone taking up window cleaning isn't going to just change personality.
And it's trad; people usually jump on others considering starting off trad.

But at least you're trying to help, DG. The thing is, he might not see it like that or might not be the type to make it work.

As I said earlier I'm not being too charitable the work doesn't really suit the pole.
However if he hadnt have been in a fix I'd have happily kept it.
Also. I could have sold it for double what he's getting it for.
No its not going to change his life but it will help and there is scope to earn more of he choses which he can't in his full time job.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 02:00:06 pm »
I would say, only do it if you can afford to lose the work, the money and the equipment.  Only give to the degree where it won't hurt you if you don't get it back.  When I say "hurt" I'm not just referring to financial loss either.

DG Cleaning

Re: Will this cause me grief? Update
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 06:11:56 pm »
First day today was going to train him up and show him the work this afternoon when he finished work.
I got a text mid morning "can't come I've not got enough petrol"
Already this was testing my patience.
So I explained that we'd work together and I'd give him some money to call at the garage on the way home.
So he said "I'll come if you want then"
I had to bite my lip at that one ;D
Gets a call, "I've just taken a workmate home first and then run out of petrol" all this despite knowing he couldn't do both trips.
Think he wanted me to pick him up.
Just told him fair enough I'm continuing work.
His soft hearted sister came put of work to get him some
petrol and I get another call asking if he could come.
So we did less than half the houses I'd planned and he walked home with less than half what he would have.
Afterwards I let him have it and told him a few home truths.
 He said he wants to do the work himself next month but we'll see.
So yes it is causing me grief already ::)roll

Ian101

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2013, 06:32:44 pm »
do you really want to be dragged down to this guys level  ?

elite mike

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 06:54:32 pm »
best of luck with that  ;)

robertphil

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 06:58:28 pm »
were his eyes half shut when you met up with him .    or bright eyed and keen as mustard to crack on ???

DG Cleaning

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2013, 08:19:02 pm »
were his eyes half shut when you met up with him .    or bright eyed and keen as mustard to crack on ???

He was awake, barely ;D

Aqua Power Solutions

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 08:29:27 pm »
DG , some people in life just need pointing in the right direction , however some need kicking up the backside. Do what you can for him but there has to be a point when enough is enough . Only you can answer that ! You have painted a negative image of your brother in law and as others as mentioned i think the winter months, will make him or break him. Good Luck Ed
Aqua Power Solutions external property maintenance 01423 541 400 Mobile 0752 158 3240  Visit our Facebook page for examples of our work https://www.facebook.com/Aqua-Power-Solutions-332485570200950/

robbo333

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2013, 08:33:37 pm »
You obviously feel obliged to help him out so continue to do so.
Give him a week, or maybe two weeks. Don't let him out on his own!
If he's still no good then dump him (nicely).
At least then you can genuinely say you gave him the opportunity, but unfortunately it didn't work.
No one can say you didn't try to help him.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2013, 09:08:22 pm »
This could be the chance he needs to sort his self out. Big respect for giving him a chance thats all some people need a bit of a push and direction if he fs it up then thats his problem and you can say you tried Good luck and i hope he proves to you that you made the right decision.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

Simon Mess

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2013, 09:25:10 pm »
I admire your intent, I really do, but there is no way I would have done what you have done for him. BUT, I don't think you are helping him in any way, looking at how you describe him, I would say helping him in this way is just perpetuating his notion that everyone owes him (and SHOULD help him), and that he should get something for nothing, and he shouldn't have to take responsibility for his own action, or his son's well-being.
I wouldn't give my own son a job with his attitude towards work, he is a lazy s**t, like most of todays youths (sorry, but that is just how it is). I wouldn't see him out on the street, but there is no way I would let him clean my customers windows unless he really bucked up his ideas and proved to me he was interested in putting in the effort to do the job properly.

DG Cleaning

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2013, 10:24:24 pm »
I admire your intent, I really do, but there is no way I would have done what you have done for him. BUT, I don't think you are helping him in any way, looking at how you describe him, I would say helping him in this way is just perpetuating his notion that everyone owes him (and SHOULD help him), and that he should get something for nothing, and he shouldn't have to take responsibility for his own action, or his son's well-being.
I wouldn't give my own son a job with his attitude towards work, he is a lazy s**t, like most of todays youths (sorry, but that is just how it is). I wouldn't see him out on the street, but there is no way I would let him clean my customers windows unless he really bucked up his ideas and proved to me he was interested in putting in the effort to do the job properly.

Thanks Simon I agree with most everything you said.
If he does have the work they will be his customers not mine.
If it wasn't for the fact he's got a lovely 3 year old lad he wouldn't be getting any help from me.
On a brighter note he did thank me for the opportunity via text earlier.

Smudger

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2013, 08:55:45 am »
But they were YOUR customers,  whether you realise it or not, if he does a bad job or becomes unreliable then these people are going to be ringing you up to come and do them or worse say that DG cleaning used to be great but passed us onto to some useless relative blah blah...    Then your rep gets tarnished through an effort to help others.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk