This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

H20cleaning

Re: someone poaching my work
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 09:57:30 pm »
I cant remember the last time I lost a customer to another company... that's because I offer a good service, always spend that extra 2mins to chat to the customer when collecting and they all know if there's any problems with the service I will be back to do the full job again.

so the chances are you either lost a customer who was looking for a cheap windie ( which they will later live to regret and probs ask you back in a few months but tell them to stick it)

Or they are not happy with your service, attitude, punctuality or professionalism... only you will know the true reason and if its your fault learn from it :) and if its because the other company is cheaper you don't want them kind of customers anyway.

trippyboy

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 10:23:22 pm »
patch... makes I laff in all

gavinb

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 10:23:43 pm »
Its me .

;D ;D ;D ;D

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 11:42:39 am »
Why do you assume it's a new start up. It might be an established window cleaner with a nice sign written van and years worth. He might have either leafleted or door knocked or even let the van sign writing do the job.

We regularly pick up new customers that are unhappy with their currant window cleaner, they see us working and ask for a quote, I'm not under obligation to check if another window cleaner does road.

Simon.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 09:50:35 pm »
Wins some loose some mate ,

just continue to do a satisfactory job, charge a fair price if you are WFP sell 6 weekly or 2 monthly cleans if you are trad monthly should be ok as customers feel they are getting value for money,enjoy seeing you risk your life :)

People cancel for any reason want trad want pole :)
Its hard sometimes but just keep motivated and replace

Spruce

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 06:44:28 am »
Could be any of the 15 window cleaning business's that I know of who work in Redcar! Total number of vans I know of = 21 as one company alone has 7. So take your pick as too which company it is!

Am I included in the 15 Dave?

It isn't me pinching your work as I do 7 customers in Redcar, 3 relatives of others we do in Skelton, 1 neighbour recommended by my existing customer and the other 3 moved into Redcar from Skelton over the years and asked us to continue. Otherwise, we have never canvassed for work in Redcar, so please cross me off the list.  ;D

So if you see me with a blue Citroen Relay van, unlettered with the paint flaking off the bonnet, relax.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

H2GoKent

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 07:01:57 am »
The use of the word of 'poaching' is unfortunate, you don't own your customers they have a choice.

When you lose a customer it can feel likes it personal, but it isn't.

Be nice, do a good job but don't take it for granted you'll be appreciated.  ;D

A manager is generally someone who has been promoted to the position by someone else who didn't see them as a threat.
Hence all people are promoted to the level of their incompetence

Spruce

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 07:05:58 am »
Wins some loose some mate ,

just continue to do a satisfactory job, charge a fair price if you are WFP sell 6 weekly or 2 monthly cleans if you are trad monthly should be ok as customers feel they are getting value for money,enjoy seeing you risk your life :)

People cancel for any reason want trad want pole :)
Its hard sometimes but just keep motivated and replace

I work on a 6 weekly schedule and the windows of every house I clean in Redcar is filthy. So it could be a quality problem although the OP did blame under cutting.

I also tend to take the excuse a customer uses to cancel with a pinch of salt. They lie to save face.

Do a quality job, keep your nose clean, be polite and courteous and you should be OK.  If you have too many cancellations, then look to yourself first. A couple of cancellations close together could be neighbours chatting, a son doing it for pocket money, etc.

When we first started with wfp we asked customers for a verbal appraisal, nothing formal, on how we were doing - we wanted to ensure that they were happy as we would be sooner or later going to ask them for referrals. Over the years, people who are happy to see you and comment about how lovely it is to have nice clean windows are usually the loyal ones and will stick with you.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 09:24:12 am »
so long as not undercutting you on purpose of course

You not planning an assault on my patch are you Ian?

;)

Ian101

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 09:42:09 am »
Hi JBW just email me ur list of customers inc prices and promise not to canvass them use my new email addy cheapoundercuttersbarstools@hotmail.com

jonboywalton75

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 10:34:27 am »
Hi JBW just email me ur list of customers inc prices and promise not to canvass them use my new email addy cheapoundercuttersbarstools@hotmail.com

I do conny roofs for a quid,  with a free shampoo for their dog

dotty

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 04:27:31 pm »
some of these people would be doing same if it was on there round the fact is none of would like to lose customers
p doherty

Ian101

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 04:34:31 pm »
Don't worry about losing customers anymore when I do I just go find another 1 at a higher price I'd poss.

Not being flippant but all part of running a WC business

stephen rooney

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 06:27:05 pm »
ok so I got it wrong saying my patch I know its not exactly my patch the customers said it was nothing to do with the way we clean them it was coz there mate was starting up in the trade and they wanted to give him the work it just pes me off when I pay over 4000 for a round and someone jumps on it but never mind that's business and like you say its just give me the kick up the arse to get more work which isn't really a problem.

Ian101

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 07:07:21 pm »
pay over 4000 for a round and someone jumps on it.

hmmmm id be miffed as well but buying rounds sometimes has problems - been there myself - good luck with getting replacement customers though  :)

Richard60

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 09:14:42 pm »
take no notice of daft comments .
ian lancasters post is valid
win some ;D
lose some :'(

most of us have been thier ,you usually find more custies come .than go .happy ;D hunting

Spruce

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 09:18:53 pm »
ok so I got it wrong saying my patch I know its not exactly my patch the customers said it was nothing to do with the way we clean them it was coz there mate was starting up in the trade and they wanted to give him the work it just pes me off when I pay over 4000 for a round and someone jumps on it but never mind that's business and like you say its just give me the kick up the arse to get more work which isn't really a problem.

Unfortunately when you buy a round, all you are doing is buying goodwill. Goodwill hasn't any substance, its intangible and its value is purely based on the reputation a business has with its customers.
So in a way its worth something but when you buy a window cleaning round, its not like buying an asset like window cleaning equipment.

Buying a round just helps you with a list of customers who have their windows cleaned by that person, and if introduced properly to the new cleaner will continue with their requirements.

But like us when we bought a round, there will be a certain percentage of customers that won't accept a new window cleaner they haven't choosen or had recommended. They will discontinue the service. Its a fact. But by the same token we gained much more from the area than we lost because of the quality of the clean we did in comparison to the previous guys.

What we did get was an estate of houses of compact work and that was important for us. Eight years on we still do around 90% of the original work we purchased, but have added another 20% to that in that estate.  Most of the work we have got after this has not been compact, bits here and there.

My last few years in the Motor Trade was working for Reg Vardy. Peter Vardy steered the company to become the 3rd biggest motor dealership in the UK before he sold out to Evans Halshaw. When Peter was offered a failing dealership by a manufacturer, he would look at the area, look at the assets of the current business, land, buildings and position. If it was to his liking he would make a low offer.
He would never buy customer goodwill and would never buy the parts in the parts dept. or any computer equipment. Nor would he buy any fixtures and fittings.

So if Peter was in the window cleaning business, he wouldn't buy a round, he would employ people to freshly canvass the area. I appreciate it isn't the same thing, but it does make you think, doesn't it?  

harunh

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 12:08:18 am »
does anyone know anyone just starting up in redcar  as they have taken 2 customers off me which really gets me going I know everyone has to start somewhere but they can't just go on someone else's patch.

Hi Stephen,

I'm glad to see you used your real name (I presume).  Ignore the unkind comments, most of the people on here are friendly and helpful.

They are right about the 'patch' mentality - no-one owns the exclusive rights to window cleaning (or any other services) in a particular area.  The usual advice in this situation is that if you are doing a good job, you're reliable and professional in your approach then the only customers you will lose are those you didn't need anyway.

Our business covers a huge 'patch' along the North Kent area.  I have been cleaning windows here since the late 1960's so by the 'patch' mentality every window cleaner from Gravesend to Herne Bay and down through Ashford and Maidstone is on 'my patch' - I was here first ;D

We gain customers and we lose customers - that's business.  We do our best and if it doesn't suit everybody then good riddance to the ones who abandon us.

Don't let it upset you.  Do a good job and be satisfied with your efforts, then you will know it's not your fault if some of your customers desert you.

Nice post Ian.

I can't believe some of the comments posted on here.

The Job centers sometime have a drive to get people off income support and tell them to go and clean windows. They have done that in Guisborough on numerous occassions so they could possibly do it in Redcar as well.

Every now and again Peter's Window Cleaning has a drive to get new customers. They are situated on the Longbeck Trading Estate. They were mainly traditional cleaners but I see more and more WFP vans with Peter's on them. The last time I heard (a couple of months ago) they were doing the fronts of a 3 bed semi for £2.50 and back, front and side for £5.00. They clean 3 to a gang trad, one does upstairs, the other downstairs and the third knocks on the door for payment or writing out slips. They clean windows every 2 weeks and have a massive round in Guisborough, and Brotton areas. I have also seen a van in Redcar, so its logical to conclude they also have rounds there.

Then it could be a retired cleaner looking to top up his pension.

As has been suggested, just ignore them and do your own thing. Clean, cull, canvass. If a customer goes with a cheaper price, then they will leave them as well. Best they go now.

Peters window cleaning service are all over mate they have rounds in the  stockton area & middlesbrough area and the guisboro/brotton area like u said ... they have over 5,000 customers in total with about 8 vans on the road.

If a customer dumps u just move on and replace them with 2 customers :)

rosskesava

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 01:20:14 am »
How the heck can another window cleaner 'poach' your customers?

Window cleaners don't own their customers.

If a window cleaner looses customer to another window cleaner then it's probably that window cleaners own fault.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

C o z y

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 09:05:13 am »

He would never buy customer goodwill and would never buy the parts in the parts dept. or any computer equipment. Nor would he buy any fixtures and fittings.

So if Peter was in the window cleaning business, he wouldn't buy a round, he would employ people to freshly canvass the area. I appreciate it isn't the same thing, but it does make you think, doesn't it?  

Interesting info there. Good post.
No still don't understand, I must be thick