Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

tonner0

Nearly got scammed!
« on: August 23, 2013, 09:49:32 pm »
I had an email out of the blue from a guy who had completed his masters degree with honors in SEO and was looking for a small number of different trades that he could do SEO work for to impress future employers. Initially this work would be done for free. He promised to get me to the top of Google (brilliant! Could potentially increase my workload an awful lot). I emailed back saying I was interested and arranged a time for him to phone me. His name: Dave Riley, he rang and we went through things, he then requested £96 for the software he would hire from his uni that would be specific to my website and I could use whenever I needed it.  He needed the money in a couple of days so that he could start. Now I am wondering is this a scam or genuine. So he gave me names of three firms he had helped to get to the top of Google.  Anyway I rang a couple of these firms one said yeah he has done great job another said no he has done work for about 3 firms and taken £96 off loads of people and done nothing for it! They had had calls from over 100 people most saying no SEO work had been done. Informing me too that he is also  known as Daniel Mathews. I have heard no more from him so hopefully trading standards have caught up with him. Beware!

mark_roberts

Re: Nearly got scammed!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 11:00:46 pm »
Posted about that a few days ago but never rang him. Thankfully.

Did sound too good though.

Mark

John Kelly

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 11:02:50 pm »
Daniel Mathews is a name often used by various scammers for some reason.

garry22

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:26:29 am »
If it's any consolation...

if he really has done a Masters degree in SEO, he's been scammed by the university  ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 09:41:58 am »
One good way to get work done is tech colleges. Approach them direct. Forget SEO as in creating links directly but by getting them to create stuff on social media that will get you links and social proof.

Photography and videography stucdents, graphic design for say infographics.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Scott Taylor

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 09:06:27 pm »
I also had numerous emails from Daniel Matthews and I was keen but did sound too good to be true so didn't bother replying to him. Don't bother. You don't get anything for free these days.