Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Buckland

Adwords
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:55:35 pm »
Anyone able to translate this mail from Adwords for me - I have been on the help links and not much wiser - anyone able to spell it out for me in layman's terms - my sitelink is usually 29 characters so I have to do something dont I?

cheers

Earlier this year, we introduced upgraded extensions for calls, sitelinks  
and apps as part of AdWords enhanced campaigns. Upgraded extensions offer  
mobile-optimised settings, new scheduling, ad group level functionality and  
detailed reporting in order to help you reach customers in more relevant  
ways.
<https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2954783>

Starting on 23rd September 2013, only the new upgraded extensions will be  
served and the 25-character sitelink limit will go into effect.  
<https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/1054210>

We recommend upgrading your extensions ahead of 23rd September 2013, so you  
can take advantage of all the new features and customise specific settings.  
Most extensions were upgraded as part of the overall transition to enhanced  
campaigns. However, we noticed that extensions from the following campaigns  
in your account 916-942-6874 still need to be upgraded:

Campaign #1

This Help Centre article provides simple steps for upgrading your  
extensions:
<https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2954783#upgrade_extension>

Beginning on 23rd September 2013, if a campaign only has legacy extensions,  
then we will auto-upgrade them to the new format. If a campaign has both  
legacy and upgraded extensions, we will only serve the upgraded extensions,  
and legacy extensions will be marked as deleted. As part of this process,  
we recommend that you download any reports that you may need, since reports  
for legacy extensions will no longer be available after 23rd October 2013.

We're here to help. We want you to be successful with AdWords, so please  
contact us if you'd like any assistance with optimising your newly upgraded  
campaigns.
<https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206>

Yours sincerely,

The Google AdWords Team
Buckland Carpet & Fabric Care :: 01590 688938
www.SteamCleanCarpetService.co.uk

Craigp

Re: Adwords
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:14:03 pm »
When I first started on adwords back in 2005 adwords was a simple thing to use. Now its become a massively over complicated beast with so many functions its unreal. Fine if you are a big company who can afford to pay someone to fiddle with it every day, but not good for a small business.

To answer your question - they have created new software/ platform and you need to switch over.

Or you can do nothing and they will switch it over for you, but they may not do everything as you would then.

Craig

Craigp

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:22:24 pm »
It's not just me that thinks that, before the adwords experts come along, ha.

http://www.softwarepromotions.com/news/q-why-is-google-adwords-so-complicated-2011-04-07/

Buckland

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 09:31:01 pm »
Thanks Craig - so its not just me - interesting link - seems they are making it complicated for seasoned adword junkies as well - the only consolation for me is I can limit my exposure with a mileage limit - they are not as clever as they think because I do not want my ads running on isle of wight but they do!

ian harper

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 09:40:06 pm »
extensions are those links you see under the main advert.

By the sounds of it you need not worry as you not using them.

if you dont want your advert showing in any town just put the two name in you negative keyword list thats right under your keywords.

people dont like change but these changes are for the good in my experance

Buckland

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 12:47:37 pm »
Ah right thanks Ian - so they are clever  ???  yes had heard of negative kwds but didnt realize they could be geographic - amazing how the most powerful company on the web has been able to monetize what they do and as craig says it is all about getting more revenue - it took them a long time to get here but there is no stopping them now - they will own all the advertising agencies 'in the world' one day mark my words

wynne jones

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 02:20:55 pm »
A few years ago the top three slots were adwords only. They were in a very distinctive yellow box. Most people knew these were paid for ads.

Now the distinction is much more blurred almost merging seamlessly with the organic and local results. This has been their biggest way to increase revenue because being number 1 in the serps could mean you are not even on the first page. So much for google saying they want to give people what they are searching for.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Doug Holloway

jasonl

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 10:42:54 am »
How I view it ,,,,,, 20 years ago I paid 300 a month over 10 months for a half page YP ad, got more work than I could handle

Now  I pay 300 a month every month to Google and get more work than I can handle , Google saves and makes me money.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Buckland

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 05:37:07 pm »
Christ Jason thats 3600 a year (i always was good at maths) if you got too much work you ought to put yer prices up - I see you are Sheffield AND South Leicestershire - not got married again have you? We had a holiday in Las Vegas this year I saw there was a blue placque to you outside the little wedding chapel downtown! LOL

Btw mate your third link leads to a blank blue page and the picture links on your other two sites are broken - jest letting you know in case you were not aware

cheers

dave

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 10:48:33 am »
Totally agree with Buckland. Your prices are too low Jason. I wouldn't have a set price for rooms as sizes can differ dramatically... I charge by the square foot and have a minimum job ticket of £75. I turn a lot of small jobs down these days. Anything less than £75 then I just don't think it's worth it...

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 07:04:35 pm »
Yeah image hot linking is a stinker  when you get caught ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 07:06:55 pm »
Totally agree with Buckland. Your prices are too low Jason. I wouldn't have a set price for rooms as sizes can differ dramatically... I charge by the square foot and have a minimum job ticket of £75. I turn a lot of small jobs down these days. Anything less than £75 then I just don't think it's worth it...

Two things.

Don't be telling other people how to run their business, I wouldn't tell you your minimum price is rediculous.

Second, take everything you read on here and on peoples websites with a big pinch of salt.

I'll get my tin hat on.  ;)
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

jasonl

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 07:45:17 pm »
In reality , few jobs are under £100 .  I dont understand websites at all , I get a kid to do it.

All I know is that people skim read my sites for a few seconds before calling , all I want is the call and then they generally book.

I am in Huddersfield too and about to complete a Nottingham site , so I cover down the M1 and West Yorks .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

jasonl

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 08:15:08 pm »
Christ Jason thats 3600 a year (i always was good at maths) if you got too much work you ought to put yer prices up - I see you are Sheffield AND South Leicestershire - not got married again have you? We had a holiday in Las Vegas this year I saw there was a blue placque to you outside the little wedding chapel downtown! LOL

Btw mate your third link leads to a blank blue page and the picture links on your other two sites are broken - jest letting you know in case you were not aware

cheers

dave

300 a month , to return 10k+ is worth it to me
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

ian harper

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 01:55:35 pm »
marketing is about finding what works then you just buy how much work you want be it at volume or price. that runs from your business plan right into the marketing plan.

in this day and age anyone can extract dirt from carpet but not many can make the numbers work, the big difference is not what method they use or machine. take a look at the lifestyle not what and how they clean.

these are the people I look up to

Graeme Smith

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 02:13:00 pm »
I'd agree with Jason get the phone ringing and get them talking the rest will follow you can streamline the prices after that. Once they have used you once the ones who need repeat service are cheap customers.

bennymon

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 11:37:16 am »
I've been using a leaflet company for 7 years they have been great and delivered my leaflets for £19 per thousand and that's where most of my work comes from . Just found out they will no longer be operating in my area I'm gutted as if just found out the company's now charge 2 and 3 times what I've been paying wich would not be cost effective . I get very little from the net and don't really know what I'm doing on google . I would happily pay £400 per month on google if it would bring the work in. Is there any chance you could put me in touch with your guy Jason cheers   Del

Richard Cole

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 10:39:13 pm »
Jason, do you do Adwords yourself or get someone to do it for you?
former carpet cleaner, now retired!

Neil Jones

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 08:31:57 am »
I didn't do Adwords up until this year, always relied on word of mouth and leaflets but I was certainly missing out. I pay about £150 PCM but for a few services and it's been by far my busiest year of the last ten this year. I have someone who does it for me.