This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Coleman

Another Gardiner backpack thread
« on: August 16, 2013, 05:21:44 pm »
Looks like there's another thread on the go like this.
Backpack was working fine a couple of weeks ago (it only gets occasional use).
Charged it up last night and no go.
As it's out of warranty, I've just opened it up to charge it with an external intelligent charger but it was showing as fully charged within a minute (yellow light goes green on the charger).  No broken wires as far as I can see.
Any thoughts anyone please?
My thoughts are it might be the pump.  Occasionally I have run it dry briefly but it was fine on the last use.

Separately, I'm currently charging an old WCW one up.  Not been used in ages so might be a problem with that.
I only really use backpacks these days for mixing non caustic TFR with the water for consv roofs and other green work.

Llaaww

Re: Another Gardiner backpack thread
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 05:23:55 pm »
Alex if you are passing, do the backpacks have an isolator outlet/tap??
if it is dirty it is fair game

lozsing

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 05:25:58 pm »
mine that came today didn't

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 05:27:37 pm »

Not quite sure what you mean?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 05:29:23 pm »
As it's out of warranty, I've just opened it up to charge it with an external intelligent charger but it was showing as fully charged within a minute (yellow light goes green on the charger).  No broken wires as far as I can see.
My thoughts are it might be the pump.  Occasionally I have run it dry briefly but it was fine on the last use.

Separately, I'm currently charging an old WCW one up.  Not been used in ages so might be a problem with that.
I only really use backpacks these days for mixing non caustic TFR with the water for consv roofs and other green work.

If you unplug the battery at its connector and then unplug the pump at its connector you can plug the battery directly into the pump. If you know the battery is good then this will quickly tell you if it is the pump or not as it directly connects the battery to the pump.

It is worth checking all wiring connections as being banged around in a van all day can sometimes work a wire loose.

Llaaww

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 05:30:08 pm »

What stops the water draining out of the back pack when it is not being used??

Can it be fitted with an isolator??

Am I just being stupid, it has been a long day.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 05:32:58 pm »

Most users have an end-stop fitting fitted to the end of the short attached hose. This does the job although I have never noticed it draining out anyway!

Llaaww

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 05:37:07 pm »

Most users have an end-stop fitting fitted to the end of the short attached hose. This does the job although I have never noticed it draining out anyway!

Thanks. I will get round to getting one soon.

MWC

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 05:55:22 pm »
Alex, while your on......Is sure clean systems selling any of these backpacks without battery?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 06:02:42 pm »
Alex, while your on......Is sure clean systems selling any of these backpacks without battery?

I do not know.

We are down to our last 3 2 of these without the battery so if they haven't they will not be able to get any now as these will be gone by the end of the weekend.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 06:15:03 pm »
As it's out of warranty, I've just opened it up to charge it with an external intelligent charger but it was showing as fully charged within a minute (yellow light goes green on the charger).  No broken wires as far as I can see.
My thoughts are it might be the pump.  Occasionally I have run it dry briefly but it was fine on the last use.

Separately, I'm currently charging an old WCW one up.  Not been used in ages so might be a problem with that.

If you unplug the battery at its connector and then unplug the pump at its connector you can plug the battery directly into the pump. If you know the battery is good then this will quickly tell you if it is the pump or not as it directly connects the battery to the pump.

It is worth checking all wiring connections as being banged around in a van all day can sometimes work a wire loose.

Hi Alex.

Thanks for the feedback.
Been having dinner so only just got back to this.
I connected them (battery and pump) up directly and it works just fine.  So I guess I'll have to take a closer look at wiring in the switch area.  There's nothing obvious though.
I notice that there are two pieces that screw together that contain some weird type of fuse I think.  It doesn't appear to be blown or anything but would you think that it might be worth me trying a replacement.  Are they easily available from certain shops (DIY dunce here  :)  ).

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 06:18:52 pm »
Hi Alex.

Thanks for the feedback.
I connected them (battery and pump) up directly and it works just fine.  So I guess I'll have to take a closer look at wiring in the switch area.  There's nothing obvious though.
I notice that there are two pieces that screw together that contain some weird type of fuse I think.  It doesn't appear to be blown or anything but would you think that it might be worth me trying a replacement.  Are they easily available from certain shops (DIY dunce here  :)  ).

They are simple inline fuses - available from many outlets. When you bought the backpack you will have received a zip-lock bag of spares and there will have been a spare fuse inside.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 06:22:08 pm »
Hi Alex.

Thanks for the feedback.

They are simple inline fuses - available from many outlets. When you bought the backpack you will have received a zip-lock bag of spares and there will have been a spare fuse inside.

Thanks Alex.  I don't recall the bag but I've no doubt I must have got one.  Not a problem.  I will either track it down or get another fuse.  Hopefully the fuse is the issue.  Wiring looks sound so I reckon that's my next port of call.
Your assistance has been greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 06:24:27 pm »
Hi Alex.

Thanks for the feedback.
I connected them (battery and pump) up directly and it works just fine.  So I guess I'll have to take a closer look at wiring in the switch area.  There's nothing obvious though.
I notice that there are two pieces that screw together that contain some weird type of fuse I think.  It doesn't appear to be blown or anything but would you think that it might be worth me trying a replacement.  Are they easily available from certain shops (DIY dunce here  :)  ).

Thanks Alex.  I don't recall the bag but I've no doubt I must have got one.  Not a problem.  I will either track it down or get another fuse.  Hopefully the fuse is the issue.  Wiring looks sound so I reckon that's my next port of call.
Thank you.

I can get one sent out in the post to you tomorrow if you want - you would get it on Monday.

However you should be able to get one locally.

MWC

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 06:32:37 pm »

I do not know.

We are down to our last 3 2 of these without the battery so if they haven't they will not be able to get any now as these will be gone by the end of the weekend.

Thanks, I'll get one posted to my friends address then in Crewe and get it later

Paul Coleman

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 06:40:44 pm »
Hi Alex.

Thanks for the feedback.
I connected them (battery and pump) up directly and it works just fine.  So I guess I'll have to take a closer look at wiring in the switch area.  There's nothing obvious though.
I notice that there are two pieces that screw together that contain some weird type of fuse I think.  It doesn't appear to be blown or anything but would you think that it might be worth me trying a replacement.  Are they easily available from certain shops (DIY dunce here  :)  ).

Thanks Alex.  I don't recall the bag but I've no doubt I must have got one.  Not a problem.  I will either track it down or get another fuse.  Hopefully the fuse is the issue.  Wiring looks sound so I reckon that's my next port of call.
Thank you.

I can get one sent out in the post to you tomorrow if you want - you would get it on Monday.

Thanks for the offer Alex.  As they are easy to obtain, no need to post one though.  I'm hoping that the fuse is the issue.  If not, I will take a more detailed look.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 06:42:48 pm »
Hi Alex.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thank you.

Thanks for the offer Alex.  As they are easy to obtain, no need to post one though.  I'm hoping that the fuse is the issue.  If not, I will take a more detailed look.

The quick way to see if the fuse is the issue is to remove the fuse and touch the two ends of the fuse connector together. This will tell if you if the fuse was blown.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 07:06:57 pm »
Hi Alex.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thank you.

The quick way to see if the fuse is the issue is to remove the fuse and touch the two ends of the fuse connector together. This will tell if you if the fuse was blown.

Thanks again Alex.  I didn't realise that the wires could actually be pushed through to make a connection as the plastic bits appear to be moulded on until you look more closely.  Even if I had noticed, I would have been wary of doing so in case I popped whatever it's protecting.
Anyway, the good news is that it's the fuse that's popped.  I'm pleased about that because I didn't fancy undoing stuff to check the wiring in more detail.
I'll get a new one in the morning.
Where else would you get customer assistance like this without premium rate phone lines etc.?  :)

Griffus

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 07:33:41 pm »
Most likely the battery. Connect to another and test. Just hold the wires on the terminals.

Cost about £20.

Could be pump if different battery doesn't sort. I think these are just under £30.

Either way an easy fix. Not much to go wriong really.