This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave Willis

Stains on fascias
« on: July 27, 2013, 08:49:15 pm »
Gutter cleaning today and yesterday - fascias have yellowish run marks on them. G101, virosol etc doesn't touch it - any ideas?

PoleKing

Re: Stains on fascias
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 08:57:20 pm »
TFR every time
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 09:45:53 pm »
Any idea what the yellow is ?

Best bet is a more aggressive cleaning agent like t cut Upvc restorer or cif and a scoured assuming you can reach

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Dave Willis

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 10:15:16 pm »
I wonder if it comes from the roof felt maybe? Several properties seem to have it.

8weekly

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 05:57:19 am »
I just tell people that it won't be perfect, but it will be clean when I come across stains that I don't think will shift. I don't offer a restoration service.

rg1

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 08:09:12 am »
I just tell people that it won't be perfect, but it will be clean when I come across stains that I don't think will shift. I don't offer a restoration service.

+1
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

brynley

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 10:47:27 am »
could it be lime scale, the last fascia I cleaned had this on it, so I tried a lime scale remover on it with a light scourer and came off a treat

Simon@ Clearview contractors

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 10:50:58 am »
Is's possible that someone has previously used TFR on them and the mix has been too strong, this stains yellow and is a right pain to get off...

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 11:28:45 am »
I would agree with Simon, staining has more than likely being caused by previous cleaning with high alkaline based chemicals which are caustic and corrosive and can chemically burn surfaces especially white surfaces which tend to turn a yellowish colour from continuous use of high alkaline based harsh chemicals.

home6442

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 11:43:20 am »

Totally agree with this, there are times when it wont come up perfect especially aluminium
fascias and gutters which can corrode and leave stains.
Its better to make sure your customers are aware of this before you start saves on arguments later.
Are there any metal brackets above them that are rusting, as the rust will mix in rain  then run down the fascias
and discolour them.
Had this above a pvc sill removed it with cif but took a lot of elbow grease and time.

andyM

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 11:51:16 am »
I would agree with Simon, staining has more than likely being caused by previous cleaning with high alkaline based chemicals which are caustic and corrosive and can chemically burn surfaces especially white surfaces which tend to turn a yellowish colour from continuous use of high alkaline based harsh chemicals.

I would doubt that these fascias have seen continuous use of high alkaline based harsh chemicals.
How often do you think people get their fascias cleaned?
In my experience some are cleaned once a year but others can be much longer between cleans.
If it is a yearly clean water alone is all that is required.
One of the Plebs

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 12:10:21 pm »
Its safer not to use high alkaline based chemicals on white upvc or on white coated aluminium as they are caustic and corrosive and will chemically burn these types of surfaces overtime. I put my hand up here and admit that i damaged many of the above mentioned over the years when i wouldnt use anything else only high alkaline based chemicals myself. Many years ago a chemist explained to me how detrimental these high alkaline based harsh chemicals are to surfaces and i have not used them for years now.
There are plenty of janitorial suppliers in the UK with safer alternatives to using high alkaline based products on your clients surfaces.

Simon@ Clearview contractors

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 12:15:57 pm »
You only need to use TFR once for it to turn the upvc yellow.

andyM

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 12:19:00 pm »
Gutter cleaning today and yesterday - fascias have yellowish run marks on them. G101, virosol etc doesn't touch it - any ideas?

Are these yellow run marks anywhere near the gutter brackets or the fascia fixing screw holes?
One of the Plebs

Sean Dyer

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 12:57:28 pm »
Any idea what the yellow is ?

Best bet is a more aggressive cleaning agent like t cut Upvc restorer or cif and a scoured assuming you can reach

Darran

I had this recently , yellow residue , and black run marks that wouldnt come off with virosol , only way to do it was up close and personal with a green pad and some cream cleaner , came up nice but boy was it hard graft

R.W.C.S

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 05:00:27 pm »
I used to work in the double glazing industry  :-[ and we'd get several complaints a year from customers who's fascias and gutters had discoloured either yellow or pink.

After sending these items back for testing, it was down to the manufacturer who'd used sub-standard uPVC that discoloured during prolonged periods of sunshine.

They'd be ripped down and replaced under the 10 year warranty.

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 06:30:15 pm »
Agree that talking to the customer I always point out that ground in run lines may not be totally removed with a standard wash if they want a restoration it goes double, but unless your really fussy or unlucky with the marks they usually fade to almost nothing.

Good shout on rust and of course it may be in line with nails in any battening on the roof

Tfr/101/viro sol can all exaggerate the ground in black if sprayed on dry and like a pencil jet. Wet it first and where you can mist it on gives far better and quicker results

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk