This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

kirk snailham

window cleaning
« on: July 15, 2013, 03:58:44 pm »
im new to this forum but currently employed but interested in becoming a self employed window cleaner, but worried on how to get started, I pay full rent and council tax but unsure how I will keep up with bills/payments as im trying to get my business started. this is something im hoping to do solo without any partners. I really want to do this but it feels like a bit of a leap of faith at the moment so any advice would be much appreciated

Geoff

Re: window cleaning
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 04:06:43 pm »
Easiset way would be to buy a franchise - like Ian Lancaster's.

kirk snailham

window claening
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 04:16:48 pm »
I am currently employed and pay full rent and council tax but im very interested in becoming a self employed window cleaner, but worried on how to keep up with the bills as im trying to get started up, any advice would be much appreciated

Llaaww

Re: window claening
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 04:32:02 pm »
Read lots of back posts on here.

shop at gardiners.......  ;)
if it is dirty it is fair game

Tom White

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 05:03:48 pm »
Read lots of back posts on here.

shop at gardiners.......  ;)

Helpful eh?

I started by working part time as a security guard; this left me time to build up a round of customers and as the window cleaning grew, I cut back with the security work.

I think a lot depends on how motivated you are; have a read of Mick Kent's back posts; he's a smart guy and there's a lot you could learn from him about how to get work quickly.

Jim Waugh(Albright & Shiny)

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 05:16:14 pm »
contact your local chamber of commerce and see if they have any introduction to business seminars, they will open your eyes about what self employment and running a business can mean. They can also hook you up with a small business advisor.
Its easy to do the simple sums and come up with an attractive number. You need someone to point out the hidden costs such as feeding  the tax man. funding kit, reinvesting in better kit, insurances and all sorts of stuff..
Ask people who know. and see if you want to get in...

Ian101

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 05:17:26 pm »
what do you do at moment ?

why do you want to be a window cleaner ?

LWC

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 05:21:21 pm »

That isnt the easiest way. Go out and canvass and plenty on here will tell you what ya need to buy etc.

George P

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 05:34:03 pm »
im not far from you, if you fancy a chat let me know,

Perfect Windows

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 05:35:48 pm »

That isnt the easiest way. Go out and canvass and plenty on here will tell you what ya need to buy etc.

Please explain in what way "going out and canvassing" and "finding out what ya need to buy" and "finding out  how to run a business, how to clean, how to deal with problems, etc, etc, etc" is easier than buying one of Ian's franchises, where every customer is found for you, equipment is dealt with on your behalf and you're trained in every aspect of the job.

I'll agree that you might not consider it better value or a better deal but it's not really possible to argue that it's not easier than starting on your own...

Vin

Michael Peterson

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 05:36:17 pm »
defiantly what tosh said for a new guy just copy everything mick kent does

Michael Peterson

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 05:37:22 pm »
+1 some on here have excellent businesses from Ian Lancasters franchises

dave0123

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 05:44:21 pm »

Could not agree more..

every new starter weather on this forum or not under prices jobs don't care what people say its just a learning curve everyone does it. Ian's franchise's have the benefit of them being priced properly and probably very well priced work from day one!

Plus loads more benefits.
Dave.

CleanClear

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 08:54:49 pm »
I am currently employed and pay full rent and council tax but im very interested in becoming a self employed window cleaner, but worried on how to keep up with the bills as im trying to get started up, any advice would be much appreciated

Working tax credits and housing benefit. Your local CAB will clue you up.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

rosskesava

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 09:13:57 pm »
I'd start by buying a ladder (b & q) and a few scrims, microfibre cloths, mop, squeegie and a boab and clean you own windows and neighbours/friends/etc for free just to get an idea first.

There's loads of on line cleaning supplies companies - Scrim City, Cleaning Spot, Window Cleaning Warehouse, etc.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 11:20:00 pm »
Why do you want to be a window cleaner?
What do you do now?
Have you family responsibilities?
Have you any savings? Or a line of credit?

Tosh's way of part time and build up and Rosskeseva's way of do a few say on a weekend to see if you really want to do this makes sense.
It's a game of three halves!

kirk snailham

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 11:46:56 pm »
I work in a foundry 4 minimum wage and have only managed to find agency or temp work for the past 4 years, my friend is a window cleaner an told me its a good way to earn a respectable living if im ready to work at it. it was him that recommended this forum to me

LWC

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 12:20:34 am »

Please explain in what way "going out and canvassing" and "finding out what ya need to buy" and "finding out  how to run a business, how to clean, how to deal with problems, etc, etc, etc" is easier than buying one of Ian's franchises, where every customer is found for you, equipment is dealt with on your behalf and you're trained in every aspect of the job.

I'll agree that you might not consider it better value or a better deal but it's not really possible to argue that it's not easier than starting on your own...

Vin

Its not rocket science...its cleaning a few peeps windows. Id be more than happy to help point him in right direction to say what he needs to setup...ive done it for many members on here and also friends.

Im not knocking the franchise route...its just not for me

robertphil

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 06:18:27 am »
dont think about it ,just do it.  as posted erlier in this thread get hold of a ladder /squeegee /scrubber and scrim cloths and start doorknocking at weekends or whenever you have a moment spare

and good luck

p.s  do you live in lowestoft,i knew a snailham there

rg1

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 07:25:20 am »
I work in a foundry 4 minimum wage and have only managed to find agency or temp work for the past 4 years, my friend is a window cleaner an told me its a good way to earn a respectable living if im ready to work at it. it was him that recommended this forum to me

If you have a friend who is a window cleaner, start by asking him all the questions and see if you can go out with him on a weekend to find out if it's really what you want to do before spending any money.
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)