This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Rob_B

Black Specks on Glass
« on: September 14, 2003, 08:14:04 pm »
I have a customer who has black specks on the glass of their door. The only way I can describe it is if the glass was a sheet of metal it would look like rust.

It won't come off with a scraper, scourer or fine wire wool. Anyone know what it is and how you can get rid of it?

Cheers

Re: Black Specks on Glass
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 11:17:40 pm »
Hi rob I have taken on a few new jobs recently and this sounds like the same problems as my customers are having when I examined the window, (have a look next time) I noticed that where some of the black chips were knocked off there were tiny little holes (chips) in the glass when I question to see if they new anything about it one said always been like it glass was fitted faulty, another believe it or not had a BBQ next to the window and another her dad done some grinding near the window and chipped the hell out of it but if the same as mine told them the glass was well damaged. But have a look the area you scraped just see if there are little chips in glass.
Alan

STEVE71163

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2003, 11:30:55 pm »
I have had the same thing a few times over the summer and all i could think of was a barbecue being near the window  ???

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2003, 11:36:27 pm »
Did you ask them, either way very expensive one route I was looking down was these window screen company's who fill in chips etc was not sure if the glass can be fixed same way I sould think there is a lot of money to be made if you can do repairs to this sort of glass.
Alan

STEVE71163

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2003, 11:39:27 pm »
Do you find the black specks come off because mine seemed like they were burned in the glass ???

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2003, 11:45:02 pm »
When I scraped the glass the black raised spots came of but left  brown marks on the glass but like the glass was still course so got the edge of my scraper and glided over the spots gently and the edge sank in to the chips and noticed the glass was damaged and stopped all work and just washed after notifying customer

STEVE71163

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2003, 11:47:27 pm »
Maybe the only way is for the customer to replace the glass :-[

Steve

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2003, 11:49:46 pm »
Hi all
My first post please be kind to me. :-[
Some of these marks come from someone using a angle grinder near the glass, the metal sparks that come off are that hot that they melt into the glass.  I done it to a window at home when fitting a hand rail :P. I dont thing theres any way of removing it, apart from a new pain.

Rob_B

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2003, 11:55:12 pm »
Thanks for the replies, looks like a few of you have had the same problem,and looks like there's nothing that can be done except to change the glass.  :(

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2003, 11:55:29 pm »
Welcome squeaky clean.
That’s what one of my customer’s dad done grinding
That’s the advise I gave to my customer was to replace the pane of glass. Ouch

mogs

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2004, 12:11:18 am »
if it looks like rust u can be near sure sum1 at sum stage has been welding r grinding metal near the glass. as they have been doin this the hot metal chips have burned there way into the glass never to be removed again...

try hammerite, they say u dont need no primmer over the rust!!! lol   ::)

sam hughes

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2004, 01:38:17 am »
same as everybody else, I have a job with the same black marks I commented to the lady, there is lots of chips and she informed me it was down to her son  anglegrinding when her fence was constructed..
sam

T_W_CONTRACTS

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2004, 10:33:39 pm »
THESE MARKS SOUND LIKE WHAT A FEW OTHERS HAVE SAID THEY ARE LIKELY TO BE CAUSED BY SOME GRINDING OR WELDING NEARBY . ARE THERE ANY RAILINGS OR METALWORK NEAR  OR A NEW PATIO
stay safe and never take risk's

Neil

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2004, 01:10:48 am »
Hi shinnyshinner
RE windscreen repairs
I dont think it would be of much help.
I had my windscreen repaired last summer and although it has stopped the damaged area from spreading it is more obvious now than before.
Ok maybe if there is only one or two small marks but if there were more the end result would look garbage.

Col

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2004, 02:15:01 am »
Yep somebodys been using a grinder nearby,you find this on builders cleans all the time.
We call it burnt glass and the only cure is to replace the float.
You can scrape the black marks off but the glass is chipped underneath.