Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

craigp

Re: them and us
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2006, 01:09:45 pm »
how relieable a TM in the average year,   ?  with porty i averaged (3yrs)  1 breakdown a year, but i can repair that myself.

vac or pump, with a tm isnt there more to go wrong?

homenclean

« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2006, 01:15:14 pm »
Why does it matter whether you have a portable, a truck mount or a cruise liner at the end of the day if you are doing a good job, with satisfied customers nothing else really matters! the customer doesnt care how or what you do the job with as long as the result is good.

John.

craigp

« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2006, 01:23:00 pm »
well said john, i think we can all agree with that :)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2006, 01:35:08 pm »
gary pumps are not just measured in PSI but also lt/min.

If we set our machines at 400psi and fired them into a bucket if we used the same wand I would fill the bucket quicker. (althought this would'nt be true if we  were using very small jets which restricted water flow something like 01s)

plus at 100ft of hose my T/M would still be pushing out a true 400psi.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2006, 01:37:29 pm »
your right it does'nt matter what we use, I'm just trying to explain portable/Tm pump differences.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Len Gribble

« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2006, 03:39:35 pm »
Don’t care what any one says my reason equates to productivity/time management = more for the tax man am sure they would love me to use the porty so they can get more out of me blood that is!

Ian

I don’t think I’m different from the rest, but one thing I do know I’m the best. And my customers know it! why have a wimp when you can have the best ;D ;D :o

Solar

Good.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

craigp

« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2006, 03:56:57 pm »
you cant say your the best can you..    how do you know worked with every c/c in the country?

Dave Parry

« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2006, 04:16:12 pm »
Len, Stop lying, You know I'm the best, got a better t/m, better van, better looking, and I've got more hair !!!!!!!!!!!!! so there.
Oh and I dont live in Kent.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

Karl Wildey

« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2006, 06:04:32 pm »
Tm's work out cheaper in the long run than portys.
No vac or pumps to change, I am excluding diesel/petrol costs, this is another discussion.

You put a porty in a van and do a large job, you will burn the porty out. Portys are not designed for large jobs, for this you need a TM, again horses for courses. Tms can do both small and large jobs.

And Mike point on the wand and water use, about sums it up. This is why a TM will out perform a porty any day.

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2006, 06:58:47 pm »
Alan

The reason more portables than tm,s are sold is because of the price. Anybody who has redundancy money can buy one, then you have yet another competitor to fight off. Hopefully for the manufacturers, the cleaner puts his money away and upgrades to a tm, (moves up a scale). There is nothing wrong with bettering oneself.
Whoever made the comment £300 a month to lease being expensive. It is, thats why i bought my van and tm outright for cash.

Cleaning Co, i did my job today, but it took 30 mins longer as i forget i had to put insect spray down and i had a chap over from another office looking at the tm. He had seen it from his carpark and hes also having his carpets cleaned next week. He was very impressed as he watched me clean the last passageway carpet. Thou shalt continue to spread the gospel ;D ::) :P

therapist

« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2006, 07:12:30 pm »
Fascinating stuff, but nothing new..................accross the pond there is more debate on portables and oscillating buffing systems................and if the argument comes down to drying time, then the bonnet mopping system wins hands down................and with constant development of new products does a damned good job at the same time.

I have NEVER in over twenty years been asked for a t/m to clean, BUT, a high proportion of people ask about drying time .............

Finally .............I've been suggesting for some time that the CFR is capable of outperforming, or equalling any t/m and continue to believe so.

robert m

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2006, 08:02:32 pm »
I think:

Bonnet systems have their place, that i am not disagreeing with. But lets me honest, you would need to change a lot of them to get a realy dirty carpet clean.
If you want your clothes cleaned, you submerge them in water, and that is why in many peoples opinions, water fired under pressure into the carpet pile and extracted is the logical solution.

Please bare in mind one thing.

The people who market these systems, are also in the business of making money and there are people who will buy into a syatem because of its low cost. I have seen these bonnet systems on prochem courses and was not impressed.
The product is left in the pile.

People want dry carpets, but not many asked me this if i am honest. I do now make a point of telling them with the tm.

Water recycle machines in my opinion are another fad gadget. Again the manufacturer wants to give themselves a unique selling point to tempt buyers into this system, with claims of this, that and the other. A water shortage, we have not had many of these. I am on a water meter at my house, and somedays i take 60 gallons with me, but i don't worry about it. Think about all the hose pipe users with no meter and how much they use. If you said to a customer about recycleing water in a machine like this, they would'nt be interested.

So what i am saying is do not buy a machine like this if you think it will give you the upper hand with your customers because of the recycled water issue. Big companies are experts at marketing their products, and usually there are hidden costs as well. I expect you would have filters to renew, and i bet the customer would rather fresh clean water.

I can remember one rental propertys carpet had a sweet that had melted into it. No problem, full heat and high pressure, straight off. Try doing this with a pad.

Dave

Phil Marlor

« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2006, 08:06:49 pm »
People with Portables will always find reasons NOT to buy a Truck Mount rather than look for positives reasons to buy one.

Its all about money, and in a way its good that there are so many Portable users (85%) I think it is in England, otherwise there would be nothing unique about owning one.

Rgds
Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

John_Flynn

« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2006, 08:34:32 pm »
I am selling a Truckmount for less than the cost of a decent portable, so you Portable users that say T/Ms are too expensive can now give one a try for £1600.00.

(This price is for T/M water tanks and vacumm and solution hoses only.)
I get better looking each day!!

Liahona

« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2006, 08:41:00 pm »
The debate of what machine is better than another will always go on...... My one point that I think has been already presented but, does any body ever up grade from a truck mount to a portable or any other type of cleaning machine?.......  In the past I have offered to go head to head with any other cleaner that a company or individual has been using to get work, however I dont do this any more but..... I would be interested in meeting a cfr user to see the results they would get under clean off test conditions..... I ask this as I see such good comments on them but would like to see the machines perform. I also ask because and of course I am biased to the machine that I use and struggle to see how the cfr would better it. I tried to have a clean off with cfr themselves but they wouldnt take the offer.

craigp

« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2006, 09:37:58 pm »
some one please enlighten me whats CFR  ??

is it inlighten or enlighten?? inlighten me

Alan Brooker. Aqualink Carpet Care

« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2006, 10:05:29 pm »
There are customers out there who can afford to pay, and in future with aggresive marketing of the tm,s ability, these customers in my area will be out of rreach of the portable user.

Cleaning Co, all i can say is watch out behind you, another redundant person is coming into your ever decreasing sector to steal some of your wor. Best get a real tm before its too late ::) ::) ::)

You have been warned >:( >:( ;D

That is the biggest load of tosh I've heard in ages. Do you REALLY believe that.
It really strikes me that to some truckmounters the analogy of a single middle aged man with a shiny ferrari could be used. Extension to their anatomy!
Do you think that perhaps education and a full understanding of the technical aspects of carpet cleaning requirements would go a long way in REALLY knowing just what is sufficient to clean carpets or are you absolutely adamant that unless you've got a truckmount you're in danger of becoming extinct?

Because as the saying goes 'you cut the cloth to suit the needs' and another 'guilding the lilly' comes to mind when I think of opinionated truckmounters.

Yes the system is great and yes it does produce quicker results than any portable but just how much money do you want to make and just how much money do you really need to spend.
I can comfortably manage over £600 during the day using a portable without breaking a sweat. Why do i need a truckmount.
And as for advertising - Are you suggesting that if I own a truckmount I will be able to produce better laid out, more skillfully designed snappier advertising?

Alan
Experience does not qualify as Knowledge and Understanding.
Understand how and why and you'll produce great results.

IICRC, Woolsafe, Fenice & LTT trained.
Member of Eco Carpet Care, NCCA & Woolsafe.

Liahona

« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2006, 10:43:15 pm »
To John Rimmer.......I understand what you are saying about portables in the USA. Primarily the portables are being upgraded to try and give a truck mounted performance on the 32nd floor. The portables in the US are actually much closer to the truck mount in performance, the good ones anyway. .......... Also almost all carpet cleaners in the US have both truck mounts and portables for the obvious reasons................ For what its worth (please note these figures are a few years old now) amongst IICRC qualified cleaners over 80% use a truck mount. With what Shaw Industries stipulates with regards carpet cleaning the customer is far more aware of truck mounts and portables so indeed ask if the company or person is using a truck mount. So in the US the truck mount is the norm....... It will happen here when the suppliers reduce the price of the machines.....The best truck mounts in the US and I mean single or dual wand truck mounts not the multi wand ones, cost under £11,000...... When that happens over here then the truck mount will become the norm as of course it needs to be and should be............ How many portable users would use a truck mount if it cost the same to set up??????, Best, Dave.

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2006, 10:51:25 pm »
Alan,

Have you put an extra zero in £600 in a day realy meaning £60 a day or do you mean a week.

In business, good advertising will carry you forward, and as i believe in the equipment that i use, aggressive advertising is the order of the day. Saying portable owners will be extinct is just a figure of speech and light hearted banter, nothing more.

If i was talking to a customer face to face, yes of course i would tell him that a tm is superior to a portable machine, but then again you would try and discredit a tm in favour of you getting the job.

With secondhand tm units coming onto the market on a regular basis, ownership will steadily increase to such a point that the general public will expect the carpet cleaner to be using one, rather than a plastic porty, well the more affluent ones only.

If you and i went to price a job for the same customer, i bet the tm will get the job, even if the cost in my case is a few quid more.

If you hang on a few years, i will sell you my old tm when i upgrade to a new and better one. Maybe Ferrari will be building them by then so i can have a shiny red one :D ::) :P

Dave

craigp

« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2006, 10:57:46 pm »
i would agree prices for tms are high, we are ripped off here, i mean 18k think of what car that would get you with more advanced tecnology, components, well nine grand will get you a R1 motor cycle say, alloy, titanium, millions of pounds development, 2 R1s for a tm