Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mark H

w.f.p on domestic
« on: February 13, 2006, 05:55:11 pm »
New to forum, so bear with me. I cleaned my first window on W.H Smith in Folkestone Kent in 1981. Back then It was cool to have an applicator instead of a sponge.

Done plenty of poleing of windows in my time, worked for a firm just cleaning Asdas, did 4 stores a day plus offices once a month. This was 4 years ago when w.p.f was quite new. Never did a window off the ladder, pointer or otherwise
Cleaned all above store windows with w.f.p ...brilliant.

Working for self again and although absolutely rate w.f.p ..think Its brill in the right circumstances I would personally never use on domestic jobs.Too many variables, gardens, gates and the different frames make it impossible to reach a result that keeps customer happy.

W.f.p ,over hyped, over sold, overeached. A double 12 and squeegee will always reign supreme on domestic.

The sgueegee still rules as the single most important invention to the window cleaner with the scim following  a close second! Call me an olds romantic.

markh premiclean

Dick

Re: w.f.p on domestic
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 06:00:49 pm »
You olds romantic you!

supernova77

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 06:08:48 pm »
Mark H,

Have you ever used WFP on domestic jobs?

I use a trolley system day in day out on domestic work and it works fine for me and my customers.

A lot of my customers like the fact that I can reach windows that I wouldn't be able to reach trad.

Andy

H h20

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 06:11:21 pm »
I do the new 3 storey houses with wfp and in no way would i have used a ladder so another vote for wfp on domestic,Gaz  ;)

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 06:17:27 pm »
Good man Mark.
Nice to see someone stick up for the humble squeegee.

I'd probably get wfp if I had lots of commercial work, as it's useful for big high jobs.
On domestics, you've got it right, overhyped, overrated, and not much use for a lot of stuff.

A lot of my customers like the fact that I can reach windows that I wouldn't be able to reach trad.

Andy.
Andy, my customers wouldn't like the fact that I could reach less windows.
I can reach loads that I couldn't get to with wfp.
I've counted in a few of my areas and there's more access probs with a pole.
On my round at least - Fact.

Cheers, Rog.

brett walker

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 06:18:19 pm »
domestic  8)

another wfp vote ;)

vote wfp ;D

brett.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 06:25:03 pm »
Oh and by the way Mark, you've come to the wrong place to mention Squeegees. ::)

Most sheep on here jumped on the wfp bandwagon and won't hear a word said against it, even though they know it's faults!

I know you use it yourself, but you see the value of a good domestic job. ;).
Keep pleasing the customers(they'll value you) and don't let the pushy sods talk you into spoiling all that! :P

H h20

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 06:27:38 pm »
Oh and by the way Mark, you've come to the wrong place to mention Squeegees. ::)

Most sheep on here jumped on the wfp bandwagon and won't hear a word said against it, even though they know it's faults!

Keep pleasing the customers(they'll value you) and don't let the pushy sods talk you into spoiling all that! :P
Rog,you`ve got it wrong again it`s not squeegees that keeps getting knocked it`s the damn bl@@dy dangerous LADDERS,Gaz

supernova77

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 06:40:15 pm »
Rog,

You are so so stubborn!  Have you ever used a WFP???

I have used (and still use) trad and WFP methods, and WFP is safer, quicker and does just as good a job as trad when used properly.

I'm sure most people on here will take your anti-WFP comments with a pinch of salt as you have never tried it.

;)

Morph

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 06:41:31 pm »
I have to confess...........
I.....er....ehhmmm...welllll....I...You see I ..........
Doh.......I used a squeegee today!  There!  I said it!   It was on an automatic sliding door.   I feel better for telling you, thanks ;D

Y Fronts still have a share in the underwear market too!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 06:44:00 pm »

I use WFP almost entirely now Rog and I was seriously sceptical at first - until I used other peoples' equipment.  First time around it slowed me down a lot and there were quality issues on some of the jobs (mainly because I had my water flow too low it turned out).  More recently I have been matching and beating my previous times.  Funnily enough, the only jobs where I am still a bit slower are the ones where I need to heave the ladder off to access a flat roof.
I have needed to ditch a few jobs though because, as you say, WFP isn't totally suitable for everything.  The worst problems were with old frames that allowed the water through.  I am currently in the process of passing these jobs on.  A couple of times I have realised that a customer may decide that they don't like WFP and then they need to find a reason why.
Also, in cold weather, I often use a broom to brush surplus water from a walkway or patio and then sprinkle down rock salt if there's a danger of a freeze-up.  Laying a rubber mat down where the hose crosses a path and displaying a warning sign is also a pain at times.  However, on balance, I do prefer WFP.  I can say this even though I know that the best is yet to come (unless the water authorities say otherwise).  I intend to tailor my work around WFP in future ands avoid certain types of work.

Mark H

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 06:46:32 pm »
In my humble experience - don't forget it's based on over 20 years in the business - it's not the "d**n bl@@dy dangerous LADDERS" that's the problem ... it's irresponsible and careless use of ladders.
markh premiclean

dustycorner

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 06:48:30 pm »
Hi all,

I shall be adding wfp to my tool kit within the next two weeks, shall initailly have guys doing bottoms traditional. My motives for getting w.f.p. are simple, i had a fall two years ago (it hurts lol) i employ people and i don't one of them to fall and have it on my conscience.

I shan't discard trad method why acquire a skill then ditch it i'm sure i will need it in the future.

Cheers Mark.

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 07:03:01 pm »
Oh No not again,

We are 100% wfp and dont even carry ladders any more.  we have ditched any properties that need them for access and have got to the stage where we are selective about the types of properties we take on.

No need to talk about safety,speed etc - its all been said many times before.

But please stop picking on Squeaks just because he likes to clean using the traditional method. 

You cant force anyone to change if they dont want to.  It is up to him if he is willing to risk a fall or injury and we should respect his decision to do so - even if we thinks hes wrong and mad not to even try another method.

Sarah

Sarah

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 07:05:08 pm »
I'd probably get wfp if I had lots of commercial work, as it's useful for big high jobs.

Rog, this is a new excuse you're using for not using a WFP.  Prior ones have been you've got a bad back, haven't got space for a water tank, it leaves spots, you're customers wouldn't like it and you can't afford one.

Andy, my customers wouldn't like the fact that I could reach less windows.

I use both ladders and WFP, so there's not many windows I don't do.  

I can reach loads that I couldn't get to with wfp.
I've counted in a few of my areas and there's more access probs with a pole.
On my round at least - Fact.

Cheers, Rog.

Roger cleans four houses in one of the streets I do.  He misses all the top windows as he can't get access to them.  They're second floor dormers.  He could if he had a pole.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 07:11:52 pm »
Oh No not again,

We are 100% wfp and dont even carry ladders any more.  we have ditched any properties that need them for access and have got to the stage where we are selective about the types of properties we take on.

No need to talk about safety,speed etc - its all been said many times before.

But please stop picking on Squeaks just because he likes to clean using the traditional method. 

You cant force anyone to change if they dont want to.  It is up to him if he is willing to risk a fall or injury and we should respect his decision to do so - even if we thinks hes wrong and mad not to even try another method.

Sarah

I didn't notice anyone trying to force him to change   :)
Personally, I'm happy using either method.  I may have to revert back to ladder and squeeee if the water companies get shirty too.  I'm well prepared for that.

macc

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 07:13:22 pm »
wfp all the way.  ;D ;D ;D

SQUEGEE, do they still make them?

busydaffodil

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 07:38:22 pm »
As a domestic CUSTOMER,  (I dont run a W/C business)  As long as my windows are clean..........does it matter if its cleaned with a clean pair of Y fronts, a squeegee or a pole that shoots water?? (told you I'm a CUSTOMER ok).

Really, I think your customers are not as concerned as you think over wfp, insurance, unsafe squeegee practices :P, access, etc etc.  Theres such a shortage of w/c, whatever their method, that theyre happy they have you, that your pretty regular & you dont completely rip them off!

The C/C section have these battles too ....." my machine is bigger & better than yours".   Surely your all here because your in the same business, no matter what method you use!    please be nice.  Afterall, its the "day of love" tomorrow.
PEACE!
Lizzy   
(whos now waiting for the backlash to commence)

Ken

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 07:52:05 pm »
wfp all the way.  ;D ;D ;D

SQUEGEE, do they still make them?
How do WFP-only cleaners do interior windows? You could ruin a few carpets...

neil100

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 08:12:16 pm »
Looks like were back on the old debate again of Wfp v Trad. GREAT.

This is my 7th week wfp now, I do tops and bottoms with it. I will still get my ladders off to do a window on a flat roof, or the odd house. On Friday I was doing a converted old mill/house. Window frames were in poor condition so I did it Trad even though I used my ladders up to 25'. The rest of the mill complex I did wfp. No problems either way, I have had a lot of positive feed back about wfp from customers. Which i am releivied about as I know I am a wfp novice.

But their will not be many w/cleaners on this forum who have been w/cleaning as long as me and there will be very few w/cleaners in this country who have cleaned as much glass as I have done in my lifetime. So I think it gives me a very good insight plus a sound footing to put my pennyworth in here.

Squeeqy does have the right to choose how he cleans windows. But I think his arguments against wfp dont carry much weight because he has not used it. So how can he truly know if it is any good or not? He cant, he can only go off what other people tell him. And if those people who slack off wfp, are wfp customers, they will fall in to two categories. First. The person who cleans their windows are not very good, They do a bad job but they more then likely would do a bad job trad anyway.They dont take much pride in their work.

SECOND. The customer themselves do not like wfp, The dripping, The Mess . These never give wfp a chance, It is condemmend and slagged off without giving a fair go.

I cleaned the insides off a house last week, The outsides had been done the day before with wfp, so it was a good chance to see how good they had come up with wfp, In the shade on the back they were perfect. Only 2 windows had a few spots on them, that was only the 2nd time they had been cleaned wfp. And you had to really look for them, That was also with the sun on them, which magnifies any mistakes. I struggled on the insides Trad and I had the benefit that the outsides had allready been done.

Even if the outsides had been done trad it is easy to leave marks if your honest, So on reflection wfp does do a first class job, I have only been doing it 6 weeks and their is no way any w/c could have got results like that on the outside in 6 weeks, In fact Many w/c will never get as a good a finnish as that in their entire lives.

Customers also get extra benefits like the frames cleanned, No holes in their lawn and no risk of ever being sued from their w/c who has taken a fall.

If you want to stay Trad fine, no problem, But dont start slagging off wfp if you have not tried it. I think wfp loses its affectivness if you go really high as you cannot see whats on the window or apply any pressure with the brush the higher you go.

Wfp is as good as the person doing the job.

Nel.