This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

P @ F

Another flow controller question ?
« on: January 28, 2013, 04:15:52 pm »
Hi all , after seeing other threads i decided to look at my controller as i have had my controller set at 99 cal and use a flow setting of 90 !

I use the streamline digi , blue face 3 button .
It runs a shurflo 100 psi 3.78 lpm pump .
This goes though 100m 6mm hose to fan jets .

By the way , my pressure switch is still connected .

I just had a play around and lowered the cal to 30 this has no effect on the way the system performs , when up to pressure i get PS flashing and pump stops .

If i set the cal to below 30 then it pressures up and DE flashes , the pump stops but then every 10 or so seconds the pump kicks in and out again straight away .

My questions are........

What does calibration actually achieve
Should i have it set to flash DE or PS
Should my pressure switch be connected , my old varistream never was.

I will point out that i know what DE and PS stand for , and that i have never had a problem with leaks or hoses blowing off !

So please do enlighten me chaps , thanks Rich 
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Ian Sheppard

Re: Another flow controller question ?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 05:02:09 pm »
Hi Rich

The Calibration of the control is allowing for all the differences in each system pump, Hose, even the length of the pole and expansion rates of the hose.
The control is engineered to allow for all the subtle differences between systems.

With out getting in to techno bable mainly because some of the engineering and programing that go into the control are over my head.

The controller measures the amount of pressure required to generate water flow to the brush head. The higher the water is pushed to the brush head the higher the pressure required to achieve this. For this reason when using the auto calibration it is best to use the longest pole with some hose run out.

The controller goes into DE and stops the water flow if the pressure in your system spikes suddenly, calibrating the control allows it to measure the normal low and high point of pressure in your system

The controller will work without a pressure switch on the pump however we recommend it is left in line to provide additional protection to the whole system. The control in some ways is over engineered with this extra fail safe.

Ideally you want the control set up to flash DE.

This means that the controller has stopped the pump well before maximum pressure is reached. this also means the pump is not working as hard by trying to pump against a restriction. The higher the pressure build up the harder the pump is working and the more current is being drawn form the battery.

When the controller displays PS it is only reporting the pressure switch has activated due to high pressure build up.

Now for the ideal Calibration and flow rate: In truth there is no ideal calibration setting due to all the differences I have mentioned. The controllers are very flexible and Calibration would normally fall any where between 30 and 70 for most systems.
The flow rate will be the rate that best suits you some like a fast flow and will have this set high and some prefer a slower flow. Flow rate would probably come some where between 25 and 80 and up to 99 for a rinse.

Hope this helps
V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

Tom White

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 05:05:27 pm »
Rich, when it breaks - and it will - before you buy a new one, try your pump without a flow controller.

P @ F

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 05:28:44 pm »
Tosh , how did i know you would say that , im a little annoyed that you never mentioned your favourite HAMMER though ! ;D

Ian , if i wanted to read a book i would have fired up the Kindle  ;D  , seriously though , thanks for the info , but why does the pump pulse once up to pressure on the DE setting , it just makes me think that every time the pump fires up its gonna cause more of an amp pull on my battery , i have always known that one of the main benefits of running the DE setting is to prolong the life of the PS on the pump , which is the lesser of the 2 evils though ?

Also , you mention auto CAL  , i saw Lee GLS say to push up and down , wait for cal and then hold the down button until AUTO appears , i tried this and the numbers just counted down to zero with no appearance from Mr AUTO , is mine an older model perhaps without this option ?

Rich   
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:36:05 am »
Tosh , how did i know you would say that , im a little annoyed that you never mentioned your favourite HAMMER though ! ;D

Ian , if i wanted to read a book i would have fired up the Kindle  ;D  , seriously though , thanks for the info , but why does the pump pulse once up to pressure on the DE setting , it just makes me think that every time the pump fires up its gonna cause more of an amp pull on my battery , i have always known that one of the main benefits of running the DE setting is to prolong the life of the PS on the pump , which is the lesser of the 2 evils though ?

Also , you mention auto CAL  , i saw Lee GLS say to push up and down , wait for cal and then hold the down button until AUTO appears , i tried this and the numbers just counted down to zero with no appearance from Mr AUTO , is mine an older model perhaps without this option ?

Rich   

Hi Rich

From your description you have the V9 version which will have the auto calibration feature this video link will help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kKoskb7l7c

The pump pulse you mention is the controller testing for DE as the pressure builds up in the system in effect it is measuring the pressure spike all the time.
The main draw off battery current is the pump followed by volt drop along the cables. The controller current draw is in the micro amp range as only the LEDs and the processor is taking any ampage.

One of the benefits of a pump controller is that the pump is slowed reducing the current draw from a battery.

Tosh you should change your profile pic to Thor he was always putting the hammer dowm ;D
V16 Is Here

Tom White

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:41:19 am »
Tosh you should change your profile pic to Thor he was always putting the hammer dowm ;D

Sorry, Ian, but I've got a bit of a resentment against flow controllers; they just buggered me around too much, and then broke.

A few guys did tell me not to use 'em, but I didn't listen, and paid with my time and money.

Until manufacturers bring out decently prices, ROBUST, and SIMPLE flow controllers, I'll keep on whining; not that it'll do much good, but I'll whine anyway.  We don't want them complex, we just want them to control the flow of water.

I've a DIY one - total cost about a tenner - which I think will do the job.  I'm just too lazy to fit the thing.  ;D

But when I do, and if it works, I'll post about it.

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 11:14:07 am »

Sorry, Ian, but I've got a bit of a resentment against flow controllers; they just buggered me around too much, and then broke.

A few guys did tell me not to use 'em, but I didn't listen, and paid with my time and money.

Until manufacturers bring out decently prices, ROBUST, and SIMPLE flow controllers, I'll keep on whining; not that it'll do much good, but I'll whine anyway.  We don't want them complex, we just want them to control the flow of water.

I've a DIY one - total cost about a tenner - which I think will do the job.  I'm just too lazy to fit the thing.  ;D

But when I do, and if it works, I'll post about it.

No worries Tosh The forum is about differing views which is how it should be. without the feedback from the guys on the ground we can not build what is wanted.  Striving for the reliability and robust control is why the V11 digital and analogue came about. I know they do not suit every one.  :)
V16 Is Here

Dave Willis

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 12:14:10 pm »
my analogue has been superb for the last year - so simple.