This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

supernova77

For those who franchise...
« on: December 07, 2012, 08:01:36 pm »
Hi All,

Those of you who franchise...

1. How did you go about finding your franchisees?

2. Do you think it's less hassle than employing someone?

Andy  ;)

davids3511

Re: For those who franchise...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 08:51:45 pm »
Hi All,

Those of you who franchise...

1. How did you go about finding your franchisees?

2. Do you think it's less hassle than employing someone?

Andy  ;)
Hi Andy

I have one franchisee and am about to advertise for my second in mid January. The first was a customer who wanted a change, spoke to another customer of mine who told him I was after a franchisee. This time I am advertising in the local press for 3 weeks. Hopefully that will bring in someone.

As for less hassle than employing, vastly so, yes. Once the franchisee is full you might not hear from him for a whole week, and then just to catch up. No holidays to pay, targets to hit, missed days to cover, sickness, fuel, tax, equipment, water, resin, vans, insurance and so on. Just 20% dropped into my account every week.

Obviously you need to find the right guy, don't take just anyone. Make sure they have something to sue them for should they go renegade. A house owner for example.

Don't underestimate the cost of getting the first guy up and running. I recon setting up my first guy cost me 7k not including my time other than the week off I took to train him.

dave0123

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 10:04:38 pm »
if you only trained the fella up for one week how did he learn the jobs or round when you passed the work on to him? i mean where to drive to and so on if he had never been to the house before?

just wondering sounds intresting
Dave.

davids3511

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 10:29:14 pm »
if you only trained the fella up for one week how did he learn the jobs or round when you passed the work on to him? i mean where to drive to and so on if he had never been to the house before?

just wondering sounds intresting
He was trained in how to clean the windows properly. After that he was given name, address, price, any job notes  and off he went.  The vast majority was new work anyway, built as he cleaned. t's not too difficult to find the houses, it's not rural work.

supernova77

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 10:09:46 am »
Hi Dave. Thanks for the info. Would you mind me getting in contact with you with some more questions? Andy

keyser soze

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 10:23:32 am »
do you get 20 per cent on all his work .. ie work he picks up after he goes out on his own ? intereating concept

Window Washers

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 12:02:34 pm »
What happens if they stop who's are the customers ?
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

davids3511

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 12:16:34 pm »
What happens if they stop who's are the customers ?
All customers are mine. If he walks it's with nothing. I can take customers from his list and put them on mine any time I like. In practise I don't do that often as there isn't much need to.

davids3511

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 12:17:29 pm »
Hi Dave. Thanks for the info. Would you mind me getting in contact with you with some more questions? Andy
No problem.07999522999.

davids3511

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 12:31:03 pm »
do you get 20 per cent on all his work .. ie work he picks up after he goes out on his own ? intereating concept
He wouldn't be in a position to get that work if it wasn't for me and my company. It's my name and number on his van and invoices. The counties are signing up with my co not the individual cleaner.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 12:43:32 pm »
He wouldn't be in a position to get that work if it wasn't for me and my company. It's my name and number on his van and invoices. The counties are signing up with my co not the individual cleaner.

What if he went out & acquired customers without your van, your uniform, your number, you or your company? What then would you be able to claim he has gained or benefited on your behalf?

niceandclean

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 12:51:46 pm »
This is quite interesting.

What amount of work did you give him per month to start off with?

Did you charge a start up fee?

davids3511

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 01:43:45 pm »

What if he went out & acquired customers without your van, your uniform, your number, you or your company? What then would you be able to claim he has gained or benefited on your behalf?
Any work he acquires however he does it is mine. If he is caught doing foreigners he is on breach of contract. generally he gets a letter reminding him that all work should be on the books. if he keeps going he is in breach of contract and you need to go legal for the fees.

keyser soze

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 02:50:21 pm »
does it cost much to set it up.. on the legal side .... not on equip/van

davids3511

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 03:42:01 pm »
does it cost much to set it up.. on the legal side .... not on equip/van
Cheapest way is Ian Lancasters package at 1500. You get the legal stuff plus ongoing advise.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 04:07:54 pm »

Any work he acquires however he does it is mine. If he is caught doing foreigners he is on breach of contract. generally he gets a letter reminding him that all work should be on the books. if he keeps going he is in breach of contract and you need to go legal for the fees.

Is there anything in the contract to prevent the franchisee from running a separate business, totally separate to his franchise?

dave0123

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 04:11:27 pm »

Interesting.. tho what would happen if a customer like next door or over the road comes out and asks him for a quote? which happens sometimes? he may so il come over and do them for 20 quid.. no one would no. do you try and quote all the jobs? then pass on to the franchisee
Dave.

davids3511

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 05:12:22 pm »

Is there anything in the contract to prevent the franchisee from running a separate business, totally separate to his franchise?
No, not once it is nothing to do with the franchise. I see this as a weakness. What if he decided to setup a domestic cleaning business based on the customer base for his wife to run. Don't think I could stop that but I wouldn't be too impressed and probably wouldn't renew his contract one it expired.

keyser soze

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 05:14:08 pm »
what happens if they let the business slide??

Crystal-clear

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 05:16:22 pm »
how about pay him 80% of all money into your account and you keep 20% and all the names and numbers of customers you keep in actual fact i guess you manage it but this way he hasnt got any details could it be done that way around ?