This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian Lancaster

Are customers interested........?
« on: November 27, 2012, 12:46:42 pm »
........in whether you have certificates, been on courses, got insurance etc.  When I used to go canvassing if someone said "No thanks, I've already got one", I would ask who it was, so I could build up a picture of who was working the area, and how carefully they had covered it.  The number of people who didn't know their window cleaner's name (other than maybe a first name or nickname) far outstripped those who did.  As for whether that window cleaner had insurance, had been on Health & Safety courses etc it had never occurred to them and this seemed to be true even for those who did know who their window cleaner was.

The only criteria they were interested in was that he should be reliable and do a reasonably good job and not cause any damage in the process.

I once mentioned that I had attended a course at the British Window Cleaning Academy - the custy fell about laughing, she was sure I was winding her up, after all, whoever heard of an "Academy" to teach people how to clean windows?

My point is that laudable, and even mandatory it may be to undertake these courses, acquire the certificates and obtain the insurance, the average domestic customer couldn't give a whatsit.  It may be necessary, it may enhance your own feeling of self worth, you may even avoid killing yourself in some stupid accident but from the customer's point of view it makes no difference whatsoever and will do nothing to increase your customer base and the real value of your business.

DISCUSS......... :P ;D

Small but perfectley formed

Re: Are customers interested........?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 01:01:39 pm »
3 things price reliable honest
Spit and polish

Halfadaylee

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 02:07:01 pm »

I agree but would put honest, reliable and then price
Art

Carl2009

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 02:32:30 pm »
Ian, you've hit the nail on the head. I work on a variety of domestic jobs (99% of my work is domestic). I've never been asked if I have insurance, had training or have been CRB-checked. As you and others say, it's those 3 magic things - a good job, done reliably without causing damage. The rest is almost irrelevant to them.

I did the Academy too - Class of 2009. It was interesting and a worthwhile spend, but not essential.

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 02:50:58 pm »
How do they know your honest until you give them price and then clean, most customer buy on price.
Spit and polish

windiewasher

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 03:11:59 pm »
Dont tell ian wicks these comments.he will fall of his chair and then kick the cat!
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

Halfadaylee

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 04:19:03 pm »
How do they know your honest until you give them price and then clean, most customer buy on price.

Most people buy people first. That's maybe why some people can command higher prices.
Art

dave f

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 04:19:38 pm »
i think a lot of custys see us at the bottm of the food chain ie one said the other week when are you gonna get a proper job i just smiled and said when i get back from a months holiday in goa that took the smile of his face ahole ;D

Perfect Windows

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 04:23:33 pm »
I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Two things matter.

1. You clean their windows
2. You keep turning up

Vin

Dave Willis

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 04:32:00 pm »
Of course the customers are interested  ::)

gary999

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 04:36:02 pm »
........in whether you have certificates, been on courses, got insurance etc.  When I used to go canvassing if someone said "No thanks, I've already got one", I would ask who it was, so I could build up a picture of who was working the area, and how carefully they had covered it.  The number of people who didn't know their window cleaner's name (other than maybe a first name or nickname) far outstripped those who did.  As for whether that window cleaner had insurance, had been on Health & Safety courses etc it had never occurred to them and this seemed to be true even for those who did know who their window cleaner was.

The only criteria they were interested in was that he should be reliable and do a reasonably good job and not cause any damage in the process.

I once mentioned that I had attended a course at the British Window Cleaning Academy - the custy fell about laughing, she was sure I was winding her up, after all, whoever heard of an "Academy" to teach people how to clean windows?

My point is that laudable, and even mandatory it may be to undertake these courses, acquire the certificates and obtain the insurance, the average domestic customer couldn't give a whatsit.  It may be necessary, it may enhance your own feeling of self worth, you may even avoid killing yourself in some stupid accident but from the customer's point of view it makes no difference whatsoever and will do nothing to increase your customer base and the real value of your business.

DISCUSS......... :P ;D

talk about stirring the pot.....us lesser mortals expect more from you sir! ;D

bobplum

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 04:38:26 pm »

agree and i would say price is always first

g.brookes

kenny jones

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 04:46:55 pm »
All that matters in most of my work is papers papers and papers, ie certificates training H&S etc.  nobody checks my work nobody cares if theres bird crap or run marks.

And thats window cleaning perfect job done.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 05:04:18 pm »
For most commercial jobs it does matter.

domestic don't give a damn

Its just the same with a builder, they will fix a problem off a ladder for a domestic customer, but that same job on a building site, needs  RAMS, hi viz, hard hat, steel boots, training cscs, insurance, if larger company needs, accreditations trained staff etc etc

magic moments

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 05:06:38 pm »
No They not intrested,and to be honest ,common sense is key,we only clean windows.

wfp master

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 05:11:09 pm »
NO. they want there windows cleaned each month.i think they have better things to worry about than  super duper certificates.

king marko

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 05:17:10 pm »
Absolutely bang on the money mate - customers couldn't give a rats ass wether you're qualified at anything let alone window cleaning ;D

Most people have either had a cleaner previously, or virtually everyone has seen a window cleaner working, either trad or pole, and just take it for granted they know what they are doing.
Most of my work comes from recommendation anyway

I bet it would never cross their mind to even consider a qualification in it!

To me, it its people creating an answer to a problem that never existed  :)

Dave Willis

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 05:19:37 pm »
How would you feel if someone took your work and they had an NVQ?

king marko

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 05:22:12 pm »
How would you feel if someone took your work and they had an NVQ?
The nvq wouldn't have anything to do with it - undercutting would

You make it sound so simple - "today I'm going to go out and take someone's work"

How would you feel if someone "took" your work and didn't have an nvq?