This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

david knowles

Removing smokers smell from walls etc
« on: November 17, 2012, 02:00:06 pm »
i have asked this question on other forums and not got a decent reply i am moving next weekend and i cant find any product that will get rid of the smell from the walls etc.
I will wash with sugar soap and washing soda but used this before and still the smell came through two coats of paint.
There is a oppertunity for a supplier to clean up here if there is a product around
thanks
I used to be a tight Yorkshire git ! but now im a recycle Eco warrior.

Intelligent Surface Solutions

Re: smokers smell
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 07:30:56 pm »
This problem has now got a new name - Its called "Third Hand Smoke" and has the same amount of potential health problems as second hand smoke. You can mask the odour with a good reodouriser which will be good for up to a month after applying but the best solution by far would be to apply a nano-based TiO2 Photocatalysis as this would remove everything and would purify the air for up to 3 years if used as a coating or you could buy a UV/TiO2 air purifier which would remove everything in a few hours depending on room size (it is anti-microbial as well). Google it and you may be able to pick up a can or used purifier. I have used in in lots of different environments and it has worked each and every time!

I am biased as I commerically apply treatments so favour this route and I am on a mini "crusade" to educate all who will listen at the moment!. Some old ways are to place open containers of coffee beans (fresh not "used") in the room for a couple of days (or white vinegar). If the odour is in the carpet as well sprinkle baking soda and leave for a couple of days then vac out

The Great One

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 04:05:34 pm »
Smoke gets into every single crack and crevice and is a carbon based vapor.

you have to send a vapor in after it.

You can obtain a thermal fogger from restormate and send a vapor in after it, talk to John or Lynn and they'll help.

Martin 8)

G Griffin

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:33:56 pm »
Yes, they do.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

John Kelly

Re: Removing smokers smell from walls etc
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 11:18:34 am »
In order to get any satisfactory result in odour removal as much as the contaminant as possible needs to be removed from the surfaces.  In this instance, washing down with a high alkaline detergent (such as Craftex Champion or Prochem Ultrapac Renovate) will remove the remnants of the nicotine and associated oils.  However, even this is not a complete answer as paint is basically plastic and plastics readily absorb odours.  In view of this in incidents of heavy odour contamination a suitable sealant is required before redecoration.  One of the most effective and easiest to apply is Chemspec's Fix Soot.  Once this has dried the walls can be painted as normal.   Be aware that nicotine odours permeate every surface and all the soft furnishings, kitchen units, carpets etc will be holding odour and also need to be cleaned.