Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Window Washers

Re: FAO, Andrew Willis. New HSE rules.
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2012, 02:28:29 pm »
Why not write about it on here? We don't lose a days wages or waste fuel, you don't lose anything either.  ???

Trevor Perry can write sensible understandable posts - can't you Andrew?

Mark take it from me Andrew has a vast amount of knowledge of the industry, i disagree with some of his interpretations but there is a saying dont throw the baby out with the bath water why not take andrew up on his offer, it is pointless if these discussions become slagging matches as then no one gains any benefit.

totally agree Trevor, Mark Etting a little effort required from you that's all
You know full well if this was written on here it would be scimmed over and missed by many that read it, that's why it is done in a training environment
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Window Washers

« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2012, 02:30:11 pm »
I will buy the first drink for everyone attending, beer or coffee and no I don't have a vested interested
nice think we should hold it in cambs, Dave I will come too if your buying :)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2012, 02:32:34 pm »
Cornwall sounds better to me

trevor perry

« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2012, 02:37:46 pm »
lets face it health and safety does have a funny side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAnGYfnFz9I
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

JSMC

« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2012, 02:58:30 pm »
H&S is a legal minefield. A lot of stuff brought in comes in with the power of insurance companies lobbying government wanting changes. some of them are good for industry whilst others are basically to cover them making payouts. If you don't follow to the letter then ye can be screwed over.

belts n braces approach

AuRavelling79

« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2012, 03:17:33 pm »
For me, the amazing Andy Willis and his crew lost all credibility when he wrote in that article that people using waterfed pole, even in a private street, should courdon off the area below the pole in case it falls and hurts someone, and this was the law.

It clearly is NOT the law, and is just them scare mongering.  I think he said that he thought that because of this that 90% of waterfed polers were breaking the law.

If this is the level of regulation they are pushing for then they should disappear back to whatever it was they were doing before they realised they could claim a fat cheque from the government for every window cleaner they get to go on their course.

Nick Wareham
Thank you for your post
Please up load a copy of your training certificate for the use of water fed pole
Within the next week
I guess you are amongst many that don't have one
If thats the case then you don't comply with PUWER 1998

If you have one accept my apologies
If not stop posting on these items

Andrew that bit in red; would you point me to where PUWER 98 says I need a training certificate for using a wfp please?

I understand that I and any employee should know how to use it properly and safely but I do not see the requirement for a certificate.

(Sigh)

So I'll ask again - where does PUWER 98 say you must have a certificate Andrew?
It's a game of three halves!

Window Washers

« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2012, 03:24:10 pm »
saw today a scafold rail around a flat roof less than 15 feet from the ground so that an ajoining small wall could be coated ,guyes were a long way from the edge .made me wonder what safety measures we should use when working from a flat roof  ???

According to HSE guidelines a securely attached lanyard, but according to my wife there is always "reasonable and practicable" exception and cleaning one window above a flat roof on someone elses property would be one of those. No doubt some will argue, but when you look at likelihood and impact, you would have to be pretty odd to see the necessity for a lanyard tethered to your customer's property.

have you ever fallen off gold ? you obviously ( maybe not)  know that there is high probability for serious injury or death falling from a roof did you know this ?

Steve Sed

« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2012, 03:30:47 pm »
saw today a scafold rail around a flat roof less than 15 feet from the ground so that an ajoining small wall could be coated ,guyes were a long way from the edge .made me wonder what safety measures we should use when working from a flat roof  ???

According to HSE guidelines a securely attached lanyard, but according to my wife there is always "reasonable and practicable" exception and cleaning one window above a flat roof on someone elses property would be one of those. No doubt some will argue, but when you look at likelihood and impact, you would have to be pretty odd to see the necessity for a lanyard tethered to your customer's property.

have you ever fallen off gold ? you obviously ( maybe not)  know that there is high probability for serious injury or death falling from a roof did you know this ?

Gold would have to be a moron not to realise that there is a risk of serious injury or death is someone falls off a roof. Even a ground floor extension flat roof. What is your point.

Also, how many of those people that attended these government funded courses would actually go if they had to pay the going rate for them which I guess might be around £200-£300 a day? Very few I suspect.

Window Washers

« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2012, 03:39:18 pm »
I don't see it is reasonable to clean window that is risking your life because that neither reasonable or practical

The answer to your question people that are serious about there business how many of you that is I honestly do not know the answer it cost my company to do these courses so I guess I am one of them that would pay I have paid a lot more for marketing courses over the years that run into thousands

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #149 on: November 18, 2012, 03:43:54 pm »
I had to put my guys on a manual handling course

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2012, 03:54:31 pm »

Ian, I would quit, you are positively starting to embarrass yourself & insult others along with it! >:(

Chris A

« Reply #151 on: November 18, 2012, 03:57:01 pm »
I've realised now why I don't come on here anymore, are you all thick?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2012, 03:59:07 pm »
I've realised now why I don't come on here anymore, are you all thick?

Raises hand ...  ;D

Window Washers

« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2012, 04:05:20 pm »

Ian, I would quit, you are positively starting to embarrass yourself & insult others along with it! >:(
your welcome to your opinion winpro I am not meaning to insulting anyone if I have please point this out and I will apoligise  to the person if they were offended.
I asked gold a question nothing more or less

Chris A

« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2012, 04:06:45 pm »
you talk sense gold, ffs get a grip the rest of you

Chris A

« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2012, 04:10:51 pm »
you offend me Ian, just keep your trap shut

Window Washers

« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2012, 04:14:21 pm »
you offend me Ian, just keep your trap shut
not sure how but sorry not meaning to offend anyone Chris

AuRavelling79

« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2012, 04:17:49 pm »
WW

In answer to your questions:-

No.

Yes.

gewindows

« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2012, 04:19:02 pm »
As a slight aside, just recently taken on a fella who has cleaned windows off a ladder for 20+ years. We are 95% WFP. I'd be mad to employ and not put said individual through a ladder safety and awareness course surely?. Not for his benefit but mine. I'd be interested to hear any doubters opinions.

Window Washers

« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2012, 04:23:51 pm »
WW

In answer to your questions:-

No.

Yes.
thanks gold and hopefully you saw what I put as a question rather than an insult as this is how it was meant. ;) I'm just not great a writing