Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

david@zap-clean

Hand job
« on: November 09, 2012, 04:07:34 pm »
I think I've just (nearly) completed my worst ever cleaning job.

1. I quoted the price weeks ago - I've revised my prices since then. And they also got a 10% discount for an advertising campaign I've been running in a local mag.
2. This job was cancelled last week as the mains water supply was off - a wasted day.
3. It's a big job, (includes upholstery cleaning), which I've been worrying about for ages, not helped by the job dragging on like this.
4. I turned up at 8:30am (early as requested) to be told they wanted me finished by mid day!  I'd estimated 6 hours.
5. It took me 3 hours to do 3 small bedrooms and the stairs as I had to do it ALL with a hand tool - there was no room to wave the magic wand about.
6. The off-white polyprop was very compacted, and took a huge amount of effort to get the pile back up.
7. I'd just finished the upstairs and it was suggested I came back another day - less than 1/2 the job had been completed....  I politely insisted I at least completed the living room carpet, therefore completing the carpet cleaning part of the job.
8. I then sprinted around as fast as I could so the customer could get away to a lunchtime meeting with a friend.

Fortunately, my request for payment for the carpet clean was acceptable.  But I've had to waste another 1/2 day, and I've got to return next week to clean the 5 seat upholstery.

If I finish next week, it'll have taken me (in theory) 2.5 days to do one small house!

Ah well, it's Friday - and I'm off for a well earned beer.

David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

Paul Moss

Re: Hand job
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 04:43:35 pm »
David, no disrespect but you need to find an experienced guy near to you and spend a day with him, other wise your learning it going to be long and hard.

david@zap-clean

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 04:49:37 pm »
David, no disrespect but you need to find an experienced guy near to you and spend a day with him, other wise your learning it going to be long and hard.
  Sounds like a good idea, but who?
David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

wynne jones

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 04:52:32 pm »

Paul's right, it's the quickest way to learn.

As you get more experience though apart from speeding up, you will know how to deal with custies better, how to pre-empt situations before they occur etc.

Hand job in the bedroom!  ;D
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Russ Chadd

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 04:56:26 pm »
Why do these customers insist on making life difficult for some of us?
David... just a few questions for you...

When you received the call from the customer did you make it very clear to them the time scale and your requirements regarding water supply?
If you did then its not your fault that they had to go out, i would of told them if you want me to return another day then there will be an additional charge.

They cant have it both ways... you have agreed on a price and a day to complete the job and that was cancelled due to the water supply... was this your fault?... no... so you wasted a day at your expense.
Sometimes if i get a feeling that the customer maybe trouble i will ask for a small booking fee which is deducted from the final bill, they get one chance to re schedule the job if they cant make the original booking.

I guess its a learning curve, and lets face it... we dont really get lots of customers like this one... thank god!

david@zap-clean

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 04:57:17 pm »
This website has been very helpful/useful to me, so thanks again everyone.   I think I'm going quite a bit right, but yes, I have loads more to learn. No-one said it was going to be easy.

I'm really pleased with the way my new business is growing - but this particular job was a pain!
David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

david@zap-clean

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 05:01:43 pm »
Why do these customers insist on making life difficult for some of us?
David... just a few questions for you...

When you received the call from the customer did you make it very clear to them the time scale and your requirements regarding water supply?
If you did then its not your fault that they had to go out, i would of told them if you want me to return another day then there will be an additional charge.

They cant have it both ways... you have agreed on a price and a day to complete the job and that was cancelled due to the water supply... was this your fault?... no... so you wasted a day at your expense.
Sometimes if i get a feeling that the customer maybe trouble i will ask for a small booking fee which is deducted from the final bill, they get one chance to re schedule the job if they cant make the original booking.

I guess its a learning curve, and lets face it... we dont really get lots of customers like this one... thank god!

I agree with your comments to a point.  But, as a new business, I need happy customers because I hope they will refer me to their friends and family - easy, cheap marketing.  So, I have to swallow the odd hit like this.  And anyway, any 'slack time' is easily filled with the multitude of 'other work' needed to build a new business, like leaflet dropping, admin, accounting, marketing campaigns, adwords/google/websites, trying to find a cheap rotary - you know what it's like..
David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

wynne jones

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 05:14:47 pm »
David

I remember spending 5 hours cleaning a greasy manky cotton suite when I started that handn't been cleaned in 15 years. I even went back the next day worried that the custy might be unhappy.

I did everything by the book, using Prochem Fabric watsit, acid rinse and all that cr *p. Today I would do the same thing in 2 and a bit hours, partly because of experience, chems and technique, but also by setting custy expectations and thinking if you let it get like that for 15 years then I ain't losing sleep if it ain't like new.

If you keep at it, one day you will be as cynical as me.  ;)

Phillip Mold

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 05:17:17 pm »
  Sounds like a good idea, but who?

Ask, new thread. Be prepared to travel, no-one just down the road from you will show you their ropes. I have taken guys out with me from 40 miles away. I suspect I am a bit far from you, but if you don't ask you don't get!

At the NCCA Meeting I suggested this sort of thing to give confidence and tips to new starters.

Good luck, you'll find someone.
Doing the best job in the world as well as I can

*Hector*

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 05:23:41 pm »
David

If you keep at it, one day you will be as cynical as me.  ;)

Not a chance Wynne.... He ..... in fact anyone would have to work for years and years to even get within a spitting distance of being as cynical as you Wynne..  :-* :-*

;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

davep

wynne jones

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 05:57:00 pm »
Do you do a Don't be so bloody cynical hypnosis CD Hector.  ;D

mark_roberts

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 06:00:36 pm »
Why did you have to use an upholstery tool to clean a carpet?
Its taking you too long to clean.  Do you have professional equipment?
Have you done a course.  If not it should be your first priority.

Yes be prepared to travel and spend a few days with someone.  After this and the course you will be a whole new man and business.

Mark

wynne jones

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 06:12:06 pm »
My feeling David is you would do well to join TACCA if you haven't done already or go to one of Mossey's trainings. NCCA is a little too 'by the book'.

Andy Hogarth

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 06:20:28 pm »
When first starting out I learned more from going out with Geoff Wrightson (about 30 miles away) for a few days than any course I'd been on. Still can't thank him enough and still ring him for advice when needed....... Cheers Geoff  ;D

It's always a hassle when starting up as you want to please everybody but you'll soon find the ones you graft like hell for and dont charge extra will take advantage. Never be afraid to bump up prices if extra work is involved, I'll throw in an odd room or rug but going back another day would incur charges.

Enjoy the beer dude  8)
Www.2venturegroup.com

mark_roberts

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 12:15:48 am »
By the book will save him buying sofas his wife doesn't like.

Mark

wynne jones

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 12:24:36 am »
By the book will save him buying sofas his wife doesn't like.

Mark

Have you been on one of Paul's courses?

david@zap-clean

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 08:17:44 am »
My feeling David is you would do well to join TACCA if you haven't done already or go to one of Mossey's trainings. NCCA is a little too 'by the book'.
I've tried joining the TACCA, several times, and never had a response.  Though someone else said there is a requirement to have been trading for 2 years anyway. 

I will join the IICRC sometime next year, but they have a requirement to have done their basic technicians course.  I've done two of them already this year, so am reluctant to repeat it so soon.
David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 10:29:24 am »
why join the iirccc or what ever there called  its a us thing that soley cartesr for that market full of self impoant people thats been cleaning minutes lol

get yourself out with someone that knows what there doing even if you have to stop in a b n b for two nights worth everypenny and someone from a few miles away will help you

northing wrong with doing carpets with a handtool , i sometime do edges ,walkways , and even small box rooms with them why neck yourself with a wand and pipes and a stair tool does the same job ?

david@zap-clean

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 10:58:53 am »
why join the iirccc or what ever there called  its a us thing that soley cartesr for that market full of self impoant people thats been cleaning minutes lol

get yourself out with someone that knows what there doing even if you have to stop in a b n b for two nights worth everypenny and someone from a few miles away will help you

northing wrong with doing carpets with a handtool , i sometime do edges ,walkways , and even small box rooms with them why neck yourself with a wand and pipes and a stair tool does the same job ?

I've got a crevice tool extension for my HWE hose for edges.

Kitemarks help with marketing, I think?  The IICRC provide a lot of training opportunities, which should help me extend my services - e.g. I've been asked to clean hard floors a few times recently, and had to decline. Training courses (I've done 4 so far) are a great networking/learning opportunity for me because I get to meet a good mix of cleaners and pick their brains :-)

Shadowing an experienced cleaner would speed up my learning curve I know, but as a newbie I have some ideas of my own that 'may' be of value.  I must be doing something right anyway, the business is building steadily, and my conversion rate from quote to job is very high (95%).

That's my thoughts anyway.

David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com