This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Websites and getting Commercial Work
« on: January 31, 2006, 06:51:12 pm »
Does anyone here have a website and pay for the site to be advertised; for example, paying for it to be a 'sponsored site' in one of the major search engines?

I know people here have said they've paid for, or created a web-site and no-one ever visits it and it was all a waste of time; but what about those people who've paid for 'clicks'.

What has been your experience?

jeff evans

Re: Websites and getting Commercial Work
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 07:36:37 pm »
Tosh.
What is click,s
ime in the process of setting up a web site at the moment.
will post on here when finished.
 Cheers Jeff.

supernova77

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 07:59:37 pm »
Hi Tosh,

I have used Google Adwords in the past... Got a few clicks from it, but no work has been generated from it as yet.

I need to sit down and sort my keywords out properly so that I am targeting the right areas etc...

Andy

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 08:13:26 pm »
Jeff and Andy,

I had a good chat with an e-commerce guru today about web-sites for window cleaners.

I told him that I've heard, from here, that window cleaners with websites don't seem to generate much work from them.

I only want(ed) one to act as a brochure for my small operation.  For example, I could include my web-site on mailshots to commercial properties, so that if I got a 'bite' they could find out more about us via our website.

I was informed that to get a high-rating in a 'Google' you have to pay for it.  For example you pay 50p per day to be a 'Sponsored Result' and then on top, can elect to pay £1.00 per day at 10p per click.

So once ten people have 'clicked' on your website; you stop being a sponsored result, therefore you can budget your e-commerce marketing.

Otherwise your website may find itself listed on the 20th page down the google search.

I have my reservations about using a web-site for marketting mind; but as a brochure for mailshots, I don't think you can go wrong.

I was just wondering if there were any window cleaners (small time) such as myself who've used web-sites to generate some good business.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 08:28:01 pm »
Tosh

I am in the latter stages of having a web site developed and fully intend to pay for listing.

My web site is currently at www.philelks.com.

I know there are mistakes on the site but these will be ironed out in the next week.

Rob ;D

jeff evans

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 08:30:14 pm »
Hi TOSH.
THATS WHAT I WANT MY WEB SITE FOR, SO I CAN PUT
THE SITE ON MY FLYERS,THERE IS SO MUCH INFORMATION
TO PASS ON TO A POTENTIAL CLIENT ABOUT W.F.P THAT ITS HARD TO DO
IN FLYERS ALONE.

SO MY THOUGHTS ARE IF I CAN JUST GET THEM TO LOOK AT
THE SITE I THINK I HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF HOOKING
THEM, DOMESTIC & COMMERCIAL.
ONLY TIME WILL TELL.
CHEERS JEFF.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 09:23:08 pm »
Tosh

I am in the latter stages of having a web site developed and fully intend to pay for listing.

My web site is currently at www.philelks.com.

I know there are mistakes on the site but these will be ironed out in the next week.

Rob ;D

Rob,

Cracking site.  Just the sort of thing I would like.

If I have one critisism though, your home page wording is difficult to read.  I don't think it's my computer, as every other page is spot on.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 09:27:46 pm »
Ta for that Tosh

The home page is being worked on.

Trying to work out background colours etc.

Rob ;D

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 09:42:03 pm »
I only want(ed) one to act as a brochure for my small operation.  For example, I could include my web-site on mailshots to commercial properties, so that if I got a 'bite' they could find out more about us via our website

The very reason that I built a site at present I get around a 1,000 hits every six months, as to how much business it generates ??

As a tool to showcase your wares it's the best it also gives that pro feel to your bussiness (in my opinion)

The one thing that i did was to change my trading name I used to go as "Bright Eyes" windowcleaning service..

I now use my web address as my trading name.
www.thewindowcleaner.biz
I am about to start my sring advertising run and for the first time in 14 years I'm going to use the press, I will also be putting cards into shops, leaflet drops and hopefully some door knocking, the signage on the vehicles will also match the advertising

www.TheWindowCleaner.biz
                         Phone Number

My aim is to make it simple so that hopefully it sticks in peoples minds, The idea behind the press apart from hopefully generating work quickly is that it will become the norm to see the add so when they need a window cleaner they will know where to look ( the only draw back from the press will be the work it will generate outside the area,s That I want to work I have posted on this site asking for numbers of other cleaners so that I can pass on the info and even post thier info on my site.

Again the thinking being if you want a window cleaner my name springs to mind..

So yes Tosh a web site is a must(in my opinion) apart from the ego boost you get from it it can be change at will to reflect your bussiness development..
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Ian Rochester

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 06:46:33 am »
We have just had a website put together for our holiday cottage in Amble.  The company that did it was called www.urbanmice.co.uk and it cost next to nothing to do, he can also promote you on the search engines.

I am getting him to take on my business website at the moment

steve k

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 07:44:40 am »
I have put together a FREE website using

www.bravehost.com

I am still editing various pages but it is great as you say, to put the web address on your mailshots to give potential clients all the information they need, that you simply cannot fit on a flyer.

This free hosting is great as it is a great information address but costs NOTHING.
It does not get published to any search engine unless you want it to and then you have to pay but I don`t see the value of search engine submission yet.
The address will be on all my flyers/mailshots/business cards.

I have borrowed information from other sites and particularly Paul Smiths FAQ page BUT this is only as a template Paul, to fix the pages in place for my own editing ;)...
I will be editing this information into my own pages...Paul, yours was the best and closest FAQ page to what I have in mind...it will not look like yours when I have finished editing. :)

have a look here:

www.executivewindowcleaning.bravehost.com

Central Window Cleaners

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 09:59:15 am »
Hi Tosh,
I created my own website and just pay £40 a year for it to be hosted. If you do a search on Google for window cleaners nuneaton my site is in the top 5 listed and I have not paid a penny for this it is all down to the keywords i used.

supernova77

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 10:07:19 am »
Hi Steve,

The only problem with free sites like that is all the banner advertising you get plastered all over your site, get out of debt, betting and all that.

In my opinion it puts people off.

My hosting only costs me £3 per month which is nothing really and I don't get all those banners.

Andy

dave0123

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 01:37:19 pm »
the best way to get listed in your area is like this.

buy to domain names eg www.yourcompany.co.uk and also buy one called for example your home town eg say london so u would have www.windowcleanersaroundlondon.co.uk.

simply use www.yourcompany.co.uk to clients etc looking professional and leave the other one to do its work because what will happen is when some one seaches on google for window cleaners around london if thats were u are then that will be around the first few even if the search is not totaly matched you will be around the top ;)

well worth it
dave
Dave.

KJG

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 03:53:00 pm »
Jeff and Andy,

I had a good chat with an e-commerce guru today about web-sites for window cleaners.

I told him that I've heard, from here, that window cleaners with websites don't seem to generate much work from them.

I only want(ed) one to act as a brochure for my small operation.  For example, I could include my web-site on mailshots to commercial properties, so that if I got a 'bite' they could find out more about us via our website.

I was informed that to get a high-rating in a 'Google' you have to pay for it.  For example you pay 50p per day to be a 'Sponsored Result' and then on top, can elect to pay £1.00 per day at 10p per click.

So once ten people have 'clicked' on your website; you stop being a sponsored result, therefore you can budget your e-commerce marketing.

Otherwise your website may find itself listed on the 20th page down the google search.

I have my reservations about using a web-site for marketting mind; but as a brochure for mailshots, I don't think you can go wrong.

I was just wondering if there were any window cleaners (small time) such as myself who've used web-sites to generate some good business.

The guru bloke is wrong about Google listings. With the right title, key words and, most importantly, page wording, you can easily get listed on the first page. The click through deal is open to abuse if some one doesn't like you. There was a program on last week all about Google. Some bloke's competitor spent weeks on end clicking on his site link costing him a fortune!

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 05:33:28 pm »
Cheers guys, there's some top information in the above posts and I've saved it to my favourates for later perusal.

The guy who came to see me was spot on, from Opportunity Wales, and said much of what you lot have highlighted to me, for example to buy more than one domain name.

I've got to wait a week or two for his report to be written up with recommendations he thinks I should do.  I'm under no obligation to follow any of his advice and it's all been free of charge.

I believe the 'Ladders-Free' organisation, which David-St Ives joined recently has been assisted by Opportunity Wales which aims to help small and medium size businesses in Wales develop and prosper, to make Wales a better place; apparantly!

When I get the report, if I think it's valid, I'll post a copy of it here.

DASERVICES

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 05:43:13 pm »

I'm getting mine done professionally , cost around £150 which is not bad price
  compared to quotes of £600+.

I recognised that I needed this as the first commercial place I contacted
  they asked if I had a web site, hence why I am getting a site done professionally.

Having a good image is required when going for commercial work. Now all
  I need now is some cosmetic surgery to go with the image ;D ;D

Doug

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 05:54:31 pm »
I can't remember everything the e-commerce guru said, but he did say getting a web-site made 'professionally' was  important as it sets the tone for the image of your company.

Correct colour scheme, wording; not making yourself look 'daft' in other words, to the more discerning facilities manager.

He also stressed that it was best if you could update it yourself, without having to ask someone to do it for you.  Then your site wouldn't go out-of-date.

But if you're computer literate, which I'm not, I guess it would be simple enough to google for some good, professionally done window cleaning sites and plaguarise them.