This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

JW1

Advice for WFP starter needed please
« on: September 25, 2012, 01:02:49 pm »
Hi  ;)

I've been a trad WC for the last 10 years and it's time for me to move to WFP. 

I've thought of some questions, and wondered if any of you guys can help me out a bit please.

I have a boarded out Peugeot Expert van and don't know whether to have a full system installed in that, or have the kit in the garage and a smaller tank in the van?

Should I go for a trolley system or hose connected to the van?

When the pure water is being made, approx how much waste water will need to be dumped (I don't have mains drainage)?

What are the ongoing maintenance costs of WFP?

I'd prefer to have the kit installed by a local company in case there are problems in the future, does anyone know of a reliable company in the Milton Keynes/Northampton/Oxford area please (or surrounding area)?

How much tinkering/repairing is needed? (I'm used to filling up a bucket and off I go)

Are there concerns in icy/frosty weather overnight (I live in an exposed location)

here are some more details;

I'm a one man band (happy to stay that way) and usually do around 5 hours trad a day at a comfortable pace

Approx 80% Domestic 20% Commercial

Nothing too high

Can't think of anything else (at the moment) and sorry if it's posted in the wrong place.

Thanks in advance

ps if anyone nearby would let me tag along with them for an afternoon sometime I'd be really grateful.

Thanks in advance

Jon

Bay View WCS

Re: Advice for WFP starter needed please
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 02:53:46 pm »
Hi mate

First thing you need to do is measure the TDS level of the water coming from your tap; this will affect your options regarding the type of system you can choose and the running costs.

I am van-mounted hose reel set up but others sing the praises of a trolley system; I can see the benefit for certain houses but couldn't be bothered with lugging one around myself.

The Peugeot will be fine for now and you can upgrade in the future if you feel it necessary; I use a Citroen Berlingo with no problems.

You do have to keep on top of maintenance issues as a broken pole/hose/tap can stop you working and therefore earning.

Frost can be an issue overnight and icy floor/freezing temp during the day can stop you working.  I use a heater in the van in the morning for an hour or so and that seems to do the job in thawing out all the hoses to get me going.

You will eventually get quicker using WFP so you will find that you can work less hours or take on more work to earn more money - bonus!!

I started off with some basic poles because money was tight at the beginning - try to buy the best you can afford.

Good luck

Cheers,

Tom

JW1

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 03:39:10 pm »
Hi mate

First thing you need to do is measure the TDS level of the water coming from your tap; this will affect your options regarding the type of system you can choose and the running costs. - OK, I'll buy a TDS meter (any advice on which one/where from?)

I am van-mounted hose reel set up but others sing the praises of a trolley system; I can see the benefit for certain houses but couldn't be bothered with lugging one around myself. - That's how I feel

The Peugeot will be fine for now and you can upgrade in the future if you feel it necessary; I use a Citroen Berlingo with no problems. - Good stuff

You do have to keep on top of maintenance issues as a broken pole/hose/tap can stop you working and therefore earning. - Although I'm fairly practical - I don't want to have to tinker around too much or get frustrated

Frost can be an issue overnight and icy floor/freezing temp during the day can stop you working.  I use a heater in the van in the morning for an hour or so and that seems to do the job in thawing out all the hoses to get me going. - That shouldn't be a problem, but how about overnight or when I'm away for a week at Christmas?

You will eventually get quicker using WFP so you will find that you can work less hours or take on more work to earn more money - bonus!! - It will just be nice to get off the ladders and be able to get above conservatories etc

I started off with some basic poles because money was tight at the beginning - try to buy the best you can afford. - What sort of budget should I expect for a fully fitted system £2-3,000?

Good luck

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks for taking the time to reply Tom  :)

JW1

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 04:18:22 pm »
Near Buckingham / Brackley / Bicester

concept

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 04:30:02 pm »
I'm in MK, can help you with install, advice etc if you get stuck. Email is in profile.

JW1

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 04:36:25 pm »
I'm in MK, can help you with install, advice etc if you get stuck. Email is in profile.

Thanks for the offer, might take you up on that sometime  :)

Bay View WCS

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 05:13:14 pm »
Hi mate

First thing you need to do is measure the TDS level of the water coming from your tap; this will affect your options regarding the type of system you can choose and the running costs. - OK, I'll buy a TDS meter (any advice on which one/where from?) Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REVERSE-OSMOSIS-HM-DIGITAL-TDS-METER-/250996653020?pt=UK_HGKitchen_SmallApp_RL&hash=item3a7090fbdc&_uhb=1#ht_2005wt_1111

I am van-mounted hose reel set up but others sing the praises of a trolley system; I can see the benefit for certain houses but couldn't be bothered with lugging one around myself. - That's how I feel

The Peugeot will be fine for now and you can upgrade in the future if you feel it necessary; I use a Citroen Berlingo with no problems. - Good stuff

You do have to keep on top of maintenance issues as a broken pole/hose/tap can stop you working and therefore earning. - Although I'm fairly practical - I don't want to have to tinker around too much or get frustrated.  As you get to know your system you will come to know which areas to inspect before you set off or carry out preventative maintenance on; this will prevent frustration by keeping an eye out for problems before they occur.  There will be times when you are caught in the middle of nowhere with no spare parts and no way to fix the problem but these are rare and just add to the fun - and you will learn fast :-)

Frost can be an issue overnight and icy floor/freezing temp during the day can stop you working.  I use a heater in the van in the morning for an hour or so and that seems to do the job in thawing out all the hoses to get me going. - That shouldn't be a problem, but how about overnight or when I'm away for a week at Christmas?

You will eventually get quicker using WFP so you will find that you can work less hours or take on more work to earn more money - bonus!! - It will just be nice to get off the ladders and be able to get above conservatories etc

I started off with some basic poles because money was tight at the beginning - try to buy the best you can afford. - What sort of budget should I expect for a fully fitted system £2-3,000?Difficult to say until you establish the TDS as that will determine whether you can look at DI or RO systems

Good luck

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks for taking the time to reply Tom  :)

JW1

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 05:32:09 pm »
Thanks - I've ordered that TDS meter - I guess it'll be my starting point  :)

David Salkeld

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 05:42:42 pm »
Hi Jon,

Drop this guy an E-mail:

rcpropertymaintenance@hotmail.co.uk

Richard Clues in Northampton.
He's a good friend of mine and is a joined/plumber turned window cleaner.
He has fitted out his own Citroen Berlingo. He showed it at Vanfest.
I rang him and Iff you want he would be interested in helping you fitt out your van.
I know he would do a good job and would be able to customize to your ideas.

David
Good Honest Service

JW1

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 06:34:34 pm »
Hi Jon,

Drop this guy an E-mail:

rcpropertymaintenance@hotmail.co.uk

Richard Clues in Northampton.
He's a good friend of mine and is a joined/plumber turned window cleaner.
He has fitted out his own Citroen Berlingo. He showed it at Vanfest.
I rang him and Iff you want he would be interested in helping you fitt out your van.
I know he would do a good job and would be able to customize to your ideas.

David

Thanks David.  The only thing that I'd say is that I'd not be that useful doing it myself, so I'd probably be looking at more than 'help'  :)

Banbury Window Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 03:54:10 am »
Hi Jon give me a bell on 07730 474216 if you need any help, I also do some work in brackley and have some bits and bobs when you start to put the system together
In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals because they succeed in adapting themselves best to their environment."

Total shine cleaning services

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 06:56:52 am »
hi John
i too am in Mk, if you want to tag along for an hour or so or just look at my set up then give me a shout, or would even meet you halfway for a coffee and chat if you want, if I can be of help text me on 07594 817286

Graham

JW1

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 09:41:57 am »
hi John
i too am in Mk, if you want to tag along for an hour or so or just look at my set up then give me a shout, or would even meet you halfway for a coffee and chat if you want, if I can be of help text me on 07594 817286

Graham

Hi Jon give me a bell on 07730 474216 if you need any help, I also do some work in brackley and have some bits and bobs when you start to put the system together

Cheers for the offers of help  :)

I'll wait until I get the TDS reading then post back here and we'll take it from there  ;D

JW1

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 10:51:36 am »
Hi

I've got the TDS reading at last - 412  ???

Is it worth paying extra for a proper install with warranty, or accept the kind offers of assistance from this forum at a lower cost but without warranty?

With that reading is is possible to have a better idea of what sort of system I need and the ongoing costs etc?

Any thoughts on having the purification in the garage or putting everything in the van?

Trolley system or main tank etc

Thanks in advance

concept

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 11:09:48 am »
You need to look at what demands will be put on your system, ie: how many litres a day you will require, will you expand, or happy with how busy you are, do you have storage space for a static system, and loads more questions similar to that, then design a system best suited to your requirements.

You can source ALL the equipment yourself, to suit YOUR requirements and budget.

The offers of help from people with experience are invaluable and cost you nothing.

JW1

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 11:14:08 am »
You need to look at what demands will be put on your system, ie: how many litres a day you will require, will you expand, or happy with how busy you are, do you have storage space for a static system, and loads more questions similar to that, then design a system best suited to your requirements.

You can source ALL the equipment yourself, to suit YOUR requirements and budget.

The offers of help from people with experience are invaluable and cost you nothing.

Sounds like good advice, thanks.

I've no idea how many litres a day I'll need - the only guide is that I work around 5 hours a day max, at a comfortable pace.

I would only expand if my existing work can be done in less time than I do it now, but I don't want to increase hours or employ anyone.

I have a single garage that could house a static system, is that the better way to go?

Cheers

concept

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 12:13:44 pm »
Benefits to both solutions, static and van mounted RO.

We have a static, with 2 x 1000l IBC's in a garage, using a submersible pump to deliver to the vans.

I like this because it means I dont have to have 2 RO set ups (1 in each van), and I can monitor water quality without being halfway through a job, realising a filter or my resin is shot, and having to stop a days work.

Also the system is less likely to get damaged in the garage, as I employ, there is a likliehood it would pick up damage if it were all in the van!

If you had a van mounted RO, then, for you, as a single operator, with no real plans to employ, then you are more likely to take care of it, and monitor quality etc, so no risk of damage. You can also simply plug your hose into the van, and leave it filling up overnight.

Saying that, if there are any issues, and you are not filled up for the days work, you could be in trouble.

In a garage your RO is away from frost, so cant get damaged, wheras unless your van is insulated or you heat it every night, it may freeze up and crack...

A static system has a little expense, such as transfer pump and hose and an IBC, but its easy to leave your IBC filling up when you are out, come home, fill it up, and be safe in the knowledge you are ready for work the following day.

Lots of variables as you can see!

JW1

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 04:36:47 pm »
Thanks again  :)

I think it makes sense to have it in the garage, away from the cold weather (my house is very exposed).

Once I know what system I'll need, and how many litres a day I'll use, will I be able to know how much waste is kicked out while the pure is being made?  (ie for every 100 litres of pure made, xx litres of waste is created?)

I don't have mains drainage so the waste will have to flow out onto the garden.

Mike #1

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 05:11:13 pm »
basically when using an RO system for every litre of pure water produced , a litre of water goes down the drain i am switching over to di only in the near future . Mike