Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

absolutecleaning

Dry cleaning rayon u/h
« on: August 24, 2012, 07:37:06 pm »
I went to clean some sofas in a very nice house the other day and wasnt sure what the fibres were from the normal tests so called the manufacturers only to be told they are over 60% rayon / viscose.

The lady is away on holiday and I was left dealing with the housekeeper so couldnt do anything that day but have since spoken on the phone and swapped some texts.

They wanted me to wet clean a cushion and see what happens but I have decided that I am not willing to risk this even though they have said its all on them.

So that leaves dry cleaning.....I've only ever done it once and wasnt impressed with the results so have told this client that its not going to be great and they just want me to give it a go.

Has anyone got any suggestions at all please as to either another method which could be suitable or some pointers on how to get best results / avoid any problems with these suites.

(I'm tempted to walk but have been a bit quiet of late and priced it well!)

Kev Loomes

Re: Dry cleaning rayon u/h
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 10:15:57 pm »
60% viscose should be ok to wet clean (just), using HWE. I presume its in pile form and not flat weave? Flat weave definately no problem, pile is where the issues start.

But to be honest its the 100% viscose's that demand respect really. I would wet test, if no visible difference is there after drying off, then away you go and wet clean it. It shouldnt be massively different on a 60% fabric, but could you possibly notice a small amount.

Your right dry cleaning wont do much, so you could use min moisture to do it. Spray a microsplitter on to terry towels and wipe it over (not soaking wet on the towel). This will give a better result than dry cleaning and you shouldnt make any difference on the fabric appearance.

You could even spray dry cleaning fluid on the fabric, then the damp method mentioned - to keep the absorption to a minimum.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:35:01 pm »
Leave well alone if you are not sure about it. A very simple rule that costs you big bucks for breaking it.

Simon

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 11:45:20 am »
Here, here, don't be a hero. Its not good having to turn away work but there is plenty easier work out there to get. Some won't agree with this but why add stress to your life for the sake of a few quid.

absolutecleaning

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 02:25:16 pm »
Thanks very much for the pointers Kev but I think I'm going to take John and Simons advice here and give it a miss.

The problem is that really in terms of keeping this potentially very good client I'm in a bit of a lose, lose, lose situation

a : I walk and theyre annoyed as they come back from holiday and their sofas still arent clean.

b : I clean the sofas and get paid but they dont come up very well so they're annoyed (even though I explained limitations)

c : I clean the sofas and cause some damage, get paid but they then say they arent responsible for the damage and that I am!

Unless you happen to be free on Tuesday and want to whizz round the M25 Kev ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 05:12:22 pm »
??? I really don't get this attitude people have ???

You have been given the opportunity to test at no risk, in all honesty there is going to be SOMETHING you can do with these sofas.... seems bonkers to just walk away from it.  There will be some area of these sofas you can do a test HWE clean on, dry off and inspect.

Telling people you can't do it doesn't really come across as a professional service ???

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 08:47:00 pm »
What is bonkers is pushing ahead with something that you are not sure of the result, espcially in this case where the client is away on holiday so you cannot pre-qualify them as to the potential problems or limited result.
I've got 36 years experience in this game and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that the rare problems I have had have a been born of not listening to the alarm bells ringing in my head. So experience tells me that rather than cause a problem for me, or more importantly my client and the resulting hassle, the best thing to do with some jobs is to turn it down, something I do very rarely indeed, but I'm wise enough to know that sometimes that is the only thing to do. If someone else wants to take on the problem, that's fine by me but I've got a hard earned reputation to maintain. I have also noted that not a single customer did anything less than thank me for my honesty having refused the job, I've even got recommendation from them. :o

Simon

Simon

Kev Loomes

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 09:41:08 pm »
I actually walked from a suite clean on Fri funnily enough - during a quote for a repeat client, so no biggy. Luckily she had a sample swatch and sure enough the distortion was too much to even contemplate. I explained why and she was fine - and appreciated my honesty especially in terms of dry cleaning (it was a bit minging). She told me 'but its a natuzzi and was expensive'  I said regardless of the manufacturer its a viscose and a viscose is a viscose, should have seen the look on her face. Going to do her carpets again anyway so no major loss.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, by doing a simple test that takes seconds - will determine whether it can be wet cleaned or not. But in saying that, if someone isnt too sure then in that instance they are right to walk, absolutely. Live to fight another day.

Simon, ever heard of that song 'road to hell'  ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 09:46:29 pm »
Simon, ever heard of that song 'road to hell'  ;D

Ha, I wrote it just after walking away from an iffy job ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 10:55:23 pm »
My point is Simon that you need to find out if you can do it, not just run away with your ringpiece twitching ;D

I'm not advocating ploughing on regardless, simply testing to see if it can be done.  The last time I walked from an upholstery clean was about 6 years ago - it was one of a type I'd cleaned previously some years before which resulted in my one and only ever insurance claim.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 11:42:37 pm »
In that case, I rest my case.
No room for bravado when your reputation is at stake.
Simon