This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wpclean

Advertising scam. . . . again !
« on: August 07, 2012, 06:00:00 pm »
Just had a phone call again from a company claiming to represent the police, selling advertising space !

THEY ARE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE POLICE, and " the magazine " does not exist !

Please ignore them if they ring you . . . . by the way the man calling has a scouse accent.

Re: Advertising scam. . . . again !
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 06:02:02 pm »
lol well thats a surprise ;-)

Steve Sed

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 06:02:50 pm »
Just wondered how you know the magazine doesn't exist. Is it an old scam?

wpclean

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 06:06:05 pm »
Yes they have called previously, and I have contacted police and they confirmed, but they cannot catch this guy.

Sad to say he has scammed a lot of money from unsuspecting businesses !

richywilts

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 06:18:32 pm »
ive just had another for a golf club brochure!!
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

Bay View WCS

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 06:22:51 pm »
I had a call from them earlier today.  They must be targeting Windies thinking we are thick as pig sh!te and will fall for their rubbish patter.

He told me he was from the Police Federation (I knew straight away this was a blag as I had been tried by them in the past) and that I had been recommended by the council as a trustworthy business. I told him that I had been recommended because I was the dogs b******s and he then proceeded to ask me if I could get hold of any weed- very curious.

They rely on the mention of 'police' to give some legitimacy to their spiel and also because most law-abiding citizens are respectful and subservient to the police so they have a better chance of parting you from your cash.

Pure scum the lot of them

Cheers

Tom

mick hay

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 06:25:35 pm »
The police mags are done by a company called James E James. Have offices in Warrington and Liverpool.

The mag does exist, .......but.........they sell it saying they are the police!

I know a lot about this industry, the good and the bad, spent a lot of time in it.

Best thing is put the phone down!

Anything you want to know, ask me!!!

Tom White

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 06:27:53 pm »
I had some foreign gentleman phone me about a virus on my computer; I kept him on the phone for about 10 minutes before he hung up on me; the cheeky gimp.

http://antivirus.about.com/od/emailscams/a/Your-Pc-Is-Infected-Phone-Scam.htm

Waste their time, play about with them, have some fun.  Don't feel bad, their wasted time means they're not scamming other folk.

I like to play 'the thick Geordie' (which isn't a stretch for me  ;D) and I ask a lot of questions and fail to understand the answers.  

Have fun.

C-Thru.

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 06:35:04 pm »
Had several calls from this guy, the Scouser, always calls himself John.
Last time as I do with all telesales, I tell them I'm on the other line and ask them to hold on just a moment...... Then put them on 'hold' or hit 'secrecy' button on landline, then just leave them hanging until they eventually hang up!
If they are going to waste my time, I'll waste theirs...... It works everytime! try it!

Steve Sed

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 06:35:35 pm »
I had some foreign gentleman phone me about a virus on my computer; I kept him on the phone for about 10 minutes before he hung up on me; the cheeky gimp.

I have had this one. Dicn't think to wind him up though. Wish I had.

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 07:18:48 pm »

Waste their time, play about with them, have some fun.  Don't feel bad, their wasted time means they're not scamming other folk.

I like to play 'the thick Geordie' (which isn't a stretch for me  ;D) and I ask a lot of questions and fail to understand the answers.  

Have fun.

Also had a similar call. Kept her on the phone with a dumb act - she then past the phone onto someone else and with in few minutes he sworn at me for wasting his time when he was trying to help and then put the phone down.

Made me smile all day.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

RO-Sheen

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 07:21:35 pm »

Have fun.

I had the same on one off my rained off days. Had great fun with him and he was getting really peeved with me because I couldn't understand his Indian accent and got him to repeat every sentence at least 3 times. Sometimes I pretended to miss-hear him and answer a different question. I encouraged him by saying 'oh really?' 'Oh Dear..' and 'please help me fix this' etc... Childish but great fun. After about 30 minutes of fun I told him that I work in IT and can fix anything myself (not true!). Strangely enough he hung up without saying goodbye hahaha
Formerly known as GARGAAX

WCS Limited

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 12:22:05 am »
hmmm

i hope the two i've advertised with are real they were for the Blue Light Magazine & The Foresters Fund For Children got proofs from both and two different companies Sigma and Vision??

They did say i didnt have to pay until it had been distributed in my area, Chelmsford.

WCS Limited

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 12:45:42 am »
hmmm

i hope the two i've advertised with are real they were for the Blue Light Magazine & The Foresters Fund For Children got proofs from both and two different companies Sigma and Vision??

They did say i didnt have to pay until it had been distributed in my area, Chelmsford.

Just did some digging and they're scams both of them  >:( >:( so just sent an email to the HMRC asking them to confirm theyre VAT number that they had issued and if it is def fraudulent, i've given them a heads up...

ping con artists thought i was doing a good thing, last time i ever do that  :( >:( :(

Bay View WCS

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 12:51:50 am »
hmmm

No mate they are both scam artists.  The Foresters Fund for Children ones tried to get me last year - they are a real charity for kids but the ones ringing are just lowlife scum using sick children to scam hard working business owners - they claim to donate a 'percentage' of the profits to the official charity to help the kids.  

Do not, I repeat, do not approve any advertising with them and do not pay them any money whatsoever.  The publications they talk about are not printed in any volume worth talking about - do a google search and see what comes up other than the official charity sites.

Cheers

Tom

WCS Limited

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 01:02:53 am »
hmmm

No mate they are both scam artists.  The Foresters Fund for Children ones tried to get me last year - they are a real charity for kids but the ones ringing are just lowlife scum using sick children to scam hard working business owners - they claim to donate a 'percentage' of the profits to the official charity to help the kids.  

Do not, I repeat, do not approve any advertising with them and do not pay them any money whatsoever.  The publications they talk about are not printed in any volume worth talking about - do a google search and see what comes up other than the official charity sites.

Cheers

Tom

Cheers Tom, Just sent them an email outlining legal action if they take it any further. I understand money is tight but conning people is just not on :( oh well lesson learnt

Elfyn

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 06:43:03 am »
I've had a quite a few phone calls of late telling me that they are from "Windows" and would like to run a check on my computer.
Do you think I should let  them?  ;D

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 07:31:25 am »
hmmm

Just did some digging and they're scams both of them  >:( >:( so just sent an email to the HMRC asking them to confirm theyre VAT number that they had issued and if it is def fraudulent, i've given them a heads up...

ping con artists thought i was doing a good thing, last time i ever do that  :( >:( :(

Blimey that was quick at midnight.In a little over 20 mins you have asked on here about scam artists found after searching that they are bogus and even been in touch with HMRC...you should have done all that when they were originally in touch with you   ;D

robertphil

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 07:44:06 am »
they employ good talkers, gents who sound to be early retired types. i tell them "im not intrested ,its not for me" and they back off straight away.

keyser soze

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 08:17:27 pm »
hmmm

NOT REAL DO NOT PART WITH CASH. they nearly got me  but i checked them out on the net...... SCAM