This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Simon Gerrard

Re: Industry on the decline
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2012, 05:38:27 pm »
Terry,

The TMCCA is something me and Glyn set up when you took over the Truck Mounters Forum, but unlike Derek West and TACCA, we haven't taken it anywhere, so credit to Derek for that.

As for the second part of your question, most of the companies running TM's started out with portables and knowing nothing, including me so I am more than happy to given advice and guidance to those starting out, as I owe much of my success to the people who helped me along the way, so it is nice to give something back.

Simon

Paul Moss

« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2012, 05:39:11 pm »
Here we go :-) didnt take him long.  ::)

« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2012, 05:50:09 pm »
Terry,

The TMCCA is something me and Glyn set up when you took over the Truck Mounters Forum, but unlike Derek West and TACCA, we haven't taken it anywhere, so credit to Derek for that.

As for the second part of your question, most of the companies running TM's started out with portables and knowing nothing, including me so I am more than happy to given advice and guidance to those starting out, as I owe much of my success to the people who helped me along the way, so it is nice to give something back.

Simon

Ah, ok. I'm confused with all these 'pop up' associations. So TACCA is a new one (just checked out their web page). Is TACCA run by one man then? How does that work?

Were members of NCCA but ditched them years ago.

Can anyone join your forum? Can I join?

Terry

Simon Gerrard

Mike Halliday

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2012, 07:08:12 pm »
What I think causes the decline of our industry is the readily available information that the Internet has provided, I think there is more negativity than positivity which gives the illusion that 'the industry in in decline' because a lot of the successful people out there won't participate in these forum or have forums themselves that wouldn't let the majority of us join

But the less successful or the ones struggling are here searching for the answer to why they are not 'succesful' ..... so we get a loaded perception of the industry.

You often see post called 'my phone is dead' or 'how can get more work'  but never the positive post about how successful you are.... I understand it's hard to say these things without looking like you are bragging or being a big head but perhaps if more people posted positive information we would see a different picture of our industry.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2012, 07:14:30 pm »
John Flynn used to say 'jfd' and he was right if you do nothing guess what you get?

Shaun

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2012, 07:17:52 pm »
There is no decline in this industry, just a lot of people being negative about not working hard enough at becoming successful and being jealous of those that have, which is why the successful ones keep it to themselves.

Simon

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2012, 07:31:58 pm »

You often see post called 'my phone is dead' or 'how can get more work'  but never the positive post about how successful you are.... I understand it's hard to say these things without looking like you are bragging or being a big head but perhaps if more people posted positive information we would see a different picture of our industry.

"You're ripping people off at those rates"
"That's more than Solicitors charge per hour"
"I can't get those prices around here"
"It's not rocket science"
"You're only a cleaner"
"I'm happy with £40 for a mornings work, better than sitting at home"

Is it any wonder Mike, that you don't see more positive posts or more info shared by successful people on here, when you get replies like the above.

wynne jones

« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2012, 07:35:21 pm »
The industry attracts a lot of people who don't want much. They really should have a job but they can't find one.

And that just enough mentality will not sustain a business just like having just enough money till the end of the month and then a big bill comes in.

This is why you need something to constantly aim for to keep you pushing when you don't have to.

It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Ferenc G.

« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2012, 07:51:31 pm »
Without motivation and lots of hard work you wont succeed. Its usually down to the individual not the industry.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2012, 07:54:52 pm »
And when they can't be successful they say the industry is in decline.

Simon

Ferenc G.

« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2012, 08:08:20 pm »
The main problem is people don't realize how much work and money involved in marketing and sales. Its not like the cleaning part of the game, you don't get paid for it immediately but you have to keep doing it to get results, and sometimes its hard to stay motivated.

Craigp

« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2012, 08:44:35 pm »
I would say you need to take a least £1000 a week to make any sort of living,

That might be what YOU need to take a week, but not everyone has the same overheads. It is very subjective.

Chemicals are cheap as chips now.

The major running costs in this business are IMHO fuel both for vehicle and TM
and Advertising.

The more advertising the more business and hence the more fuel.

So these 3 things are irrevocably linked.
And should be the same with anyone in this business.

#What is different and purely subjective is the overhead aspect. You may live in a 10 bedroom mansion that is mortgaged up to the hilt, and run a fleet of high price cars and women, so naturally your overheads are going to be high.
I on the other hand live in a barn, with no mortgage, very low rent and no real outgoings, so my overheads are negligible.

You may need to earn £1000 a week to make any sort of a living.

I on the other hand only need to earn that in 3 months and still have a good standard of living.

So as said at the begining everything is subjective.

I don't buy this arguement, whislt we all have different 'housing' costs we do all live in the same country, we pay the same for fuel, advertising, tax, food ect.

*Hector*

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2012, 08:55:45 pm »
but advertising is down to choice.
fuel is dependant on how far you have to go to work, and how much work you do.
Food is very subjective but yes we all have to eat.
tax is again dependant upon how much you earn or turnover.
keep the turnover low and you don't have to mess about with VAT etc

Housing is varied.

But people come on here and say "how can you only charge £xx when you have overheads?"

I was only pointing out that there are different levels of overheads.

I for example do not need nearly as much to live on as some other people, and I am sure that I need more than others.

Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

wynne jones

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2012, 09:23:30 pm »
You have a point Hector.

At the other end of the scale someone might say they are 'struggling' but actually the business is bringing in 5 times more than some. But they have a huge mortgage, a high maintenance mrs and high maintenance for the old one and the kids.  :'(
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2012, 11:16:50 pm »
What I think causes the decline of our industry is the readily available information that the Internet has provided, I think there is more negativity than positivity which gives the illusion that 'the industry in in decline' because a lot of the successful people out there won't participate in these forum or have forums themselves that wouldn't let the majority of us join

But the less successful or the ones struggling are here searching for the answer to why they are not 'succesful' ..... so we get a loaded perception of the industry.

So why don't we start a thread where we can share a few success stories without contributors feeling as if they are bragging but can at least go to show what there are nice/big/good/profitable/enjoyable jobs out there to counter-balance all the bad news that you normally find on this forum.

I for one would love to hear more about Simon's boat jobs and other cc's successful jobs which they enjoy telling to their families/friends in a one-to-one setting.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Jim_77

« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2012, 12:29:45 am »
Hector, the other way of looking at it is that with very low overheads you will have a very large profit margin on a decent sized turnover, allowing you to drive round in a ferrari and take your luxury yacht to Monaco to see the grand prix :)

"You're ripping people off at those rates"
"That's more than Solicitors charge per hour"
"I can't get those prices around here"
"It's not rocket science"
"You're only a cleaner"
"I'm happy with £40 for a mornings work, better than sitting at home"

Is it any wonder Mike, that you don't see more positive posts or more info shared by successful people on here, when you get replies like the above.

This forum really needs a "LIKE" button for posts like this ;)

Ferenc G.

« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2012, 07:55:04 am »

So why don't we start a thread where we can share a few success stories without contributors feeling as if they are bragging but can at least go to show what there are nice/big/good/profitable/enjoyable jobs out there to counter-balance all the bad news that you normally find on this forum.

I for one would love to hear more about Simon's boat jobs and other cc's successful jobs which they enjoy telling to their families/friends in a one-to-one setting.

Rog
"Like" :-)

*Hector*

« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2012, 08:28:37 am »
Hector, the other way of looking at it is that with very low overheads you will have a very large profit margin on a decent sized turnover, allowing you to drive round in a ferrari and take your luxury yacht to Monaco to see the grand prix Smiley

This would be true if I were still full time and hard at it Jim, but I am winding down now, especially after last year, so only got a Peugeot 106 and a canoe.
 ;D ;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2012, 09:23:02 am »

[/quote]

Rog
[/quote]

Rog,
The problem is the moment you suggest that your in some way successful you get your head blown of for showing off, bragging, belittling people, being arrogant, looking down on people etc etc etc, so you tend to keep very quiet about it. The truth is the guy's at the top were once at the bottom and what should be of real interest to peope, how they got to the top, or even more importantly, how they stay at the top, which is even more difficult, but instead you're made to feel guilty and I know lots of the top guy's simply won't expose themselves to that sort of abuse and so keep what the know to themselves, which is a shame.

Simon