This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Crystal-clear

Re: Ian lancasters franchise package
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2012, 10:35:02 pm »
It's all in the contract.  We only take on people who have assets - a house with plenty of equity in it.  They agree when they sign up that if the contract ends for any reason they are not allowed to approach any people who they know to be customers of the Franchisor.  The contract has been very carefully drawn up by a franchise solicitor so we wouldn't hesitate to take a franchisee (or an ex-franchisee) to court.  The possibility of them having to pay us damages, plus our costs and their costs is enough to deter most people.

well put Ian,

however i was just wondering do you really only consider people with a house and plenty of equity? what if someone had the premium from a redundancy pay out but no house would you really turn him away ?

also would it be quite a case you would need investigaters to prove his master plan sorry im going on at this lol i know that eventually you are going to say well we have had his premium and say 3 years of 20% thats like selling a round maybe for 40 cleans so if we couldnt prove it it wouldnt matter:)

not to mention it be quite rare as he has parted with alot of money but is that the main thing or could you actually stop him or his mate hehe

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2012, 10:43:06 pm »
We advise not taking on people who have nothing to lose.  It all depends on the people involved, you may have a gut feeling that the person, even  if he/she has no assets will still be a good and loyal franchisee, but ideally it should be someone who would be risking their house if they breached the contract.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'prove his master plan'.  If a franchisee broke away and continued cleaning the windows of the customers he had by virtue of his franchise (our customers) that would be a clear case of breaching the 'post termination' conditions that he agreed to when he first signed up.  We would have an undeniable case for demanding compensation for the loss of our customers, plus a very strong case for requiring the defendant to reimburse all our legal costs.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2012, 10:48:35 pm »
"My system helps people like you, who wouldn't dream of parting with 20% of their turnover to tap into the unlimited market of people who are only too willing to do so "

He wouldnt be spending  20% of his turnover to  be tapping into the market of people who are willing to do so Ian,....

He would be spending some of his profits on a franchise which would suit an unlimited amount of people,

but not him.

Sorry, I missed out a comma.  It should read: "My system helps people like you who wouldn't dream of parting with 20% of their turnover(,) to tap into the unlimited market of of people who are only too willing to do so."  I wasn't implying that they only had to part with 20% to tap into this market ;D

Crystal-clear

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2012, 06:17:39 pm »
cheers so i guess its a mixture of taking on someone with something to loose like his house and your contract as that would be pretty much anyones worst nightmare staff or franchise could happen to anyone so its good u got that covered.

i just find it intresting how you would handle the situation and you know how it seems you cant go wrong with his house!

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2012, 08:26:04 pm »
Somebody somebody T/A Purple Rhino Window Cleaning

Liverpool Today...............

The whole of the UK tomorrow................

;D

mikecam

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2012, 11:50:58 pm »

;D

Sure i seen it today, no hub caps on it !!!
I  find a lot of the franchise packages on offer quite distasteful. Any loans/mortgages usually come with a disclaimer that your home may be at risk. From what Ian Lancaster says that is certainley the case with his franchise, infact he's says he most certainley makes it the case that you do have assests. Whether or not he makes it clear to his frachisees that their home is at risk i've no idea . But thats one of the criteria for finding the 'right candidate' ?
 There's other jokers out there too, i like this one. I can't quite work out the percentage because the figures are vauge, but it gives you an idea. Ironically the area is the same (Kent, or there abouts)..........
Posted on 07/06/12
Region: South East England
Type: Domestic
Monthly Avg Value : £4,400
Established For: 5+ years

Comments: We operate several rounds in Kent and Sussex, which turnover 4K-4.5K per 4 weekly period. Earning potential after costs paid £500-£700 per week. Rounds are currently being serviced and ready to be taken over on a franchise basis. Customer payments made by Direct Debit, card and online (no cash). Domestic customers only, full customer contact details available. Full training / induction is provided if required. A great long term investment.

Asking Price : £16,000

There's also lots of franchises that fail, and lots of franchises that are rip offs. Of course they won't be mentioned in any gumf by potential franchisors, but its also a fact too.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2012, 02:47:20 am »

;D

I  find a lot of the franchise packages on offer quite distasteful. Any loans/mortgages usually come with a disclaimer that your home may be at risk. From what Ian Lancaster says that is certainley the case with his franchise, infact he's says he most certainley makes it the case that you do have assests. Whether or not he makes it clear to his frachisees that their home is at risk i've no idea . But thats one of the criteria for finding the 'right candidate' ?
 There's other jokers out there too, i like this one. I can't quite work out the percentage because the figures are vauge, but it gives you an idea. Ironically the area is the same (Kent, or there abouts)..........
Posted on 07/06/12
Region: South East England
Type: Domestic
Monthly Avg Value : £4,400
Established For: 5+ years

Comments: We operate several rounds in Kent and Sussex, which turnover 4K-4.5K per 4 weekly period. Earning potential after costs paid £500-£700 per week. Rounds are currently being serviced and ready to be taken over on a franchise basis. Customer payments made by Direct Debit, card and online (no cash). Domestic customers only, full customer contact details available. Full training / induction is provided if required. A great long term investment.

Asking Price : £16,000

There's also lots of franchises that fail, and lots of franchises that are rip offs. Of course they won't be mentioned in any gumf by potential franchisors, but its also a fact too.

i saw this too its nuts , they basically want £16k of the bloke which i worked out gives him to right to earn them about 20k a year while he eanrs himself £500 a week with no holiday pay etc etc !

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2012, 06:33:19 pm »

THAT IS CERTAINLY NOT THE CASE AND IT IS NOT WHAT I SAID >:(

When a Franchisee signs a Franchise Agreement, he is agreeing to the terms and conditions of that Agreement.  The only time "his home would be at risk" is if he deliberately broke his agreement, costing the Franchisor time and money in repairing the damage, for which the Franchisor would be perfectly entitled to sue for compensation of the damage caused. 

There is no point in sueing someone who has no assets, as the complainant would not be able to recover any money and would also incur further expense by his court costs.  >:( >:(

Don't forget it is a two way street:  If the Franchisor fails in his obligations the Franchisee can sue him, in which case the Franchisor's house could be at risk!!

Before making sweeping and untrue statements, please take time to consider the true situation:

A franchisee's home could only be at risk if he broke the agreement in some way damaging to the Franchisor:  walked away and stole the Franchisor's customers - sold the Franchisor's round to another person - failed to pay the agreed franchise royalty fee etc and even then the Franchisor would not have any claim on the Franchisee's house, as in the case of a bank which has tied a loan to the value of a customers house.

A Franchisor can only take the Franchisee to court - it is for the court to decide if the Franchisee has actually damaged the Franchisor and if so whether the Franchisee should pay damages and how much - only then could the Franchisees house possible be at risk if he were unable to pay the damages/costs from any other source.

I always advise taking on Franchisees who have assets as an insurance against them simply walking away with the Franchisors business - any sensible business man would do the same.  The Franchise Agreement sets out all the obligations that the Franchisee has to the Franchisor AND the obligations the Franchisor has to the Franchisee - the Agreement is legal and binding but worthless if either party can claim they are unable to pay any sort of compensation for their failure to honour their side of the Agreement.

The Agreement is fair and reasonable, and anyone entering into it does so of their own free will and knowing that there would be possible penalties in the event of them causing damage by breaking the terms of the Agreement.

It is not a financial arrangement - there is no lending of money to be repaid.

A franchisee can walk away from his franchise at any time with no penalty.

I agree that there are some franchises out there which are rip-offs, but all business is a case of buyer beware, and even then if the Agreement is a decent one (and the franchisee can take legal advice before signing - we actually advise them to do so) the franchisee can sue the franchisor if he fails to provide the benefits described in the Agreement.

Before making damaging and untrue statements about my business, please do me the courtesy of asking if what you are accusing me of is actually true before saying it on a public forum.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2012, 07:18:45 pm »
Just read through the above again, and it's a bit of a slog ::)

Let me put it as clearly as I can:

A Franchisee's house could only (possibly) be at risk IF:  he deliberately tried to cheat the Franchisor.

There is ABSOLUTELY no question of the Franchisor having some sort of claim on the Franchisee's house simply by the two parties entering into the Franchise Agreement.

mikecam

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2012, 12:39:25 am »
Just read through the above again, and it's a bit of a slog ::)

Let me put it as clearly as I can:

A Franchisee's house could only (possibly) be at risk IF:  he deliberately tried to cheat the Franchisor.

There is ABSOLUTELY no question of the Franchisor having some sort of claim on the Franchisee's house simply by the two parties entering into the Franchise Agreement.

I understand what you now say it was this what i was concerned about.............
It's all in the contract. We only take on people who have assets - a house with plenty of equity in it.  They agree when they sign up that if the contract ends for any reason they are not allowed to approach any people who they know to be customers of the Franchisor.  The contract has been very carefully drawn up by a franchise solicitor so we wouldn't hesitate to take a franchisee (or an ex-franchisee) to court.  The possibility of them having to pay us damages, plus our costs and their costs is enough to deter most people.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2012, 01:28:19 am »
i didnt know the Franchise could take the Franchisor to court thats quite a fair one at least the Franchise knows with you that you gona keep him busy,others out there they gota be carefull of