This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

preston powerblast

Lost some more customers
« on: January 13, 2006, 07:04:28 pm »
Been out collecting tonight and I have lost a couple more of my customers.
These were older people they said they didnt have a complaint about the windows they just did not like the idea of the wfp.
One of their upstairs windows is one where you have to stand on the sill to clean it. I also told them this and I was a bit off with them.
But I feel a bit peed off as these were the two highest paid cleans on my whole round.

Re: Lost some more customers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 07:21:16 pm »
How have you explained to your customers why you use the WFP and how it works?

Did you do it verbally, which is very difficult to get EVERY point across, or did you use David's WFP explanation letter from the documents to upload section?

Good communication is the key to a successful transition.  Get it right and you'll have very few problem customers.

I numptyised a version of David's letter; it ended up into a 3 page essay on 'Why I'm using a WFP and how it works".  I encouraged customers to read it. 

Most did; a few didn't and those few who didn't and questioned me (why have you've left my windows wet?) I jokingly rebuked them for it, accusing them; saying, 'You didn't read my letter, did you?'

It put them on their back-foot straight away.

Then I explained it roughly and gave them another letter.

I honestly haven't lost one customer (though I thought I might) and I must've done over 1000 cleans with it by now.

Not only that, if the letter is well presented on good quality paper, looks good and is worded correctly; the customer will realise that you're not just another 'thicko school drop-out', which is their general impression of us 'window cleaning scallywags'.

preston powerblast

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 07:43:40 pm »
I made a nice letter up, a nice heading even did it in three colour and worded it so simple that a 5 year old could have understood it.
I posted these through every door two weeks before I started.
It was 2 pages long, it was based on davids letter.
I explained about the water process and the safety aspect and why this had to be.
I also put my number on the bottom and asked them to call if they had any questions.
I got a couple of calls and I put them in the picture.
The thing is, us lancashire folk, are a bit set in our ways. We dont like change.
I'm suprised that half the population of Preston didnt commit suicide when we became a City.
As  life will have to step up a gear, to keep up with the pace.
As things will be changing so quickly.
I am the first cleaner in the area to change over to wfp.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 08:08:19 pm »
I made a nice letter up, a nice heading even did it in three colour and worded it so simple that a 5 year old could have understood it.

This makes me wonder if that's the problem. 

Firstly, three colours might be good for an eye-catching flyer; but for a letter I have my doubts.  You're trying to explain something serious - health and safety - colour will detract from that message and make it seem less serious; maybe even child-like; crayons springs to mind?

Secondly, when you present written communication to anyone, you should assume they are of at least average intelligence and word your peice accordingly.  Maybe your wording was too condecending?

I hope I haven't offended you by offering some (to late) constructive critisism.  I don't mean to.

It's just that I think the 'communication' part of transitioning to WFP is equal in importance to the actual cleaning with a WFP; if not more so.

Anyway, stick with it.  By the time you get to your fourth clean, your customers won't bat an eye-lid.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 08:18:08 pm »
As for losing 'high paying customers', you'll get more with WFP. 

Just as I received my WFP I took a call from a woman who lives in a large three storey farm-house.  The third storey consists of three veluxes on one side and three dormers on the other.

It also has a one-sided Georgian window conservatory (difficult to describe - but only one side) and they want the roof done each month too.

Prior to getting my WFP I would've passed this account onto Ian_Giles.

I can do the account in just over an hour with WFP and I charge £50 per month, which is probably underpriced, but I'm okay with it.

preston powerblast

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 08:49:59 pm »
I can take it mate.
As I am the first in the area I suppose it inevitable that i will lose customers.
But its just a bit disheartening at this early stage.
I have sent you a copy of the letter I sent out.
Hope you dont mind.
                            Gary

P @ F

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 08:57:56 pm »
I know its a bummer losing the well paid jobs but at the end of the day dont worry about it , the wfp will save you time on the job , youll be safer , and you will pick up more than you lose .
As for the explanation letter , HAHAHA  , i didnt even bother , just wait for the complaint  and then tell them about it , i have been wfp for 5 months now and i have lost 2 customers !

Rich   P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 09:03:28 pm »
I can take it mate.
As I am the first in the area I suppose it inevitable that i will lose customers.
But its just a bit disheartening at this early stage.
I have sent you a copy of the letter I sent out.
Hope you dont mind.
                            Gary

I'll give you some feed-back, Gary, but not tonight; Wor Lass says I've got to stop being my geeky-self and come-off the computer.

preston powerblast

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 09:04:10 pm »
No probs mate.

macc

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 09:28:27 pm »
i sitched 2 wfp 2 months ago. lost about 10% but picking more up now because of wpf. did the letter explaining, now im on 2nd time round the majority love it. frames cleaned as well, comments like, this summer they will be perfect ;D ;D ;D

preston powerblast

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 09:39:05 pm »
I think some people are seeing my van with preston powerblast on it and might be thinking I am going to powerblast their windows. ???

H h20

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 09:42:32 pm »
I think some people are seeing my van with preston powerblast on it and might be thinking I am going to powerblast their windows. ???
LOL  :D,I can see the old dears now starring in amazement at you charging up their drive like a mad pitbull with your jet wash,but how wrong can they be? ;),Gaz

preston powerblast

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 09:50:28 pm »
I know some in the area have seen me washing shop canopies with an extended lance with a brush on it connected to my powerwasher.
 ???

H h20

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 09:58:57 pm »
Don`t worry Gaz,what i do is drive round looking for awkward to reach windows (not accessable with ladders) see if they are dirty and the do the knock knock thing or if knowone in leave nice little leaflet,,Gaz

preston powerblast

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 10:15:59 pm »
Ive made about 500 and I'm going around tomorrow knocking on doors and posting leaflets.
The best thing is the other window cleaner is thinking about going down wfp road and has asked me for some advice.
First bit of advice dont tell your customers what you are doing ::)

Pole2pole

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 10:22:46 pm »
Hi Preston. I just want you to know that today i turned a corner after 3 months of wfp. I went back to a road in my neck of the woods convinced i was about to lose one or two customers after having two months of,not neccesarily complaints,but negative comments. The ol' guy walked up the alley to open gate, smile on face. I thought......hang on. That aint the look of a guy who's about to tell me where to go. I can't tell you how much i was AMAZED when he said" I was only talkin to the misses last night saying how good they were last month and that(knowing i was due back anytime) how clean they still are" The other customer,same scenario,convinced i was in for more grief but they had nothing but praise. The thing is mate, the negatives are a kick in the teeth but try and remember the 90% who don't flinch an eyelid. Ask Andrew just how naive i was 3 months ago......He was so concerned about the questions i had for him re wfp, he practically insisted that i called him to iron out the mountain of questions i had  ;D 3 months on and it's all good. Give them time and they'll come round. Secretly, i bet they love having a 21st century vision technician.  Something to boast to their friends over a cuppa. ;)

H h20

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2006, 10:27:13 pm »
If you target the jobs with high or difficult windows i find most if not all customers are overwellmed that their windows can be cleaned iv`e just picked up some 3 storey houses and theres only one other window cleaner on the estate who uses ladders and cannot do the top floor and can`t do some 2nd floor because of conservatorys,theres plenty of work out there and im finding more and more jobs can only be done with wfp,so its onwards and upwards with no climbing,Gaz

preston powerblast

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2006, 10:39:26 pm »

Cheers Guys, youve lifted my spirits up and now am ready for another kick in the teeth ;D
There are loads of conservatories on the round, some even go the full length of the house, so I feel that i will be targeting these.
Its funny I packed in window cleaning ten years ago and vowed i would never do it again.
Now look at me.
Saying that i built up two cracking rounds then, so theres no reason why i cant do it again.
I'm sure it will catch on up here and no doubt the ex customers will come back when they realise what they are missing at least I wont feel guilty charging those returning customers double :D

H h20

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2006, 10:45:03 pm »
Thats the spirit Gaz,keep thinking positive,it`s amazing how many people don`t have a window cleaner,i was doing my last job today and the womans mother was visiting her and she said she couldn`t get a window cleaner so im going to see the job and probabaly target the area,Gaz

Pole2pole

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2006, 10:47:41 pm »
That's the spirit mate. Don't let the b*ggers grind ya down. We all know we're on a winner with this. WFP and Pocket George and i'm a happy happy chappy. The only problem i have now is explaining to the wife why i'm home so early  :-\
Time to get some more work in me thinks  :-\ :-\ :-\