This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian Gourlay

Re: Starting carpet cleaning service
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2012, 12:05:06 am »
Yes you need Gas Safe

If you look at one of my answers about two months ago when someone asked a similar question I did suggest looking at other options . Including selling Cup Cakes ;D ;D ;D

There were some good replies from other contributors so worth scrolling back or using search facility.

This question is one that is asked the most often

Rat-race

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2012, 02:19:12 pm »
I like that Ian, I obvious took it literally.
thanks

Len Gribble

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2012, 06:46:41 pm »
Have to disagree you don’t have to be gas safe, any one can PF the same as any one can hire a carpet cleaning machine. :o ;)

Think hard before jacking in
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Rat-race

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2012, 01:20:20 pm »
Ian Gourlay
I really like your website, simple and clear.
Weldone.
We might come for advice in the future.

Rat-race

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2012, 02:31:46 pm »
Forumist
Thanks for all your information, which is really preparing to become part of this exciting professional.
I have booked myself to a training with Ashby as they are nearer to me and hopefully I will do basic NCCA in June.

In addtion to all my questions and inquiry, I have another intrigging question.
*Which is more favourable business structure to consider for a starter? I have been reading the businesslink website and they speak of Sole trader or limited company, but I am not really sure which will better suit.*

Please kindly advice.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 03:04:45 pm »
Sole trader will do you for now.
I'd also do some research into your local market as there is no point getting into this unless you can be fairly sure of generating work, espcially in the current economic climate.
Simon

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 04:22:38 pm »
Hi Rat-race

where do you live ?...We are from Medway

Have you thought about trying a Prochem course.

Richard

Rat-race

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 10:13:20 pm »
Hi Richard
I am in East Kent, I actually haven't thought about it.

Please give me more information, it might be a more better option because is close to home.

How is the competetion in Kent?

Is it enough for one more CC guy in the village or what we call Garden of England.
?

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2012, 03:59:40 pm »
Hi Rat-race

Where abouts in east kent ?.

Prochem do a 1 or 2 day course in carpet cleaning at Chessington, Surrey.The courses gave us a lot of info ie cleaning tech..stain removal..different cleaning machines to use..Plus the dinners were great to..

Also if you buy a Prochem machine you get a free training course included.

Kent is flooded with carpet cleaners

Any more help please give me a call..

Richard

Len Gribble

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2012, 06:42:18 pm »
Rat-race

Which one are you going on?

You are safe don’t often go there but they come up to my neck of the woods (how can they afford it)
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Rat-race

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2012, 06:43:50 pm »
Thank  you Richard
As you might have noticed I am currently on full time employment and things are not going very well at the moment, hence a reason to try to get out of this rat-race system, also a desire to be my own boss.
I understand it will be hash to make the end meets to begin with, but hopefully I will be a bit happier and more freedom than today.
I have tried to look in my area and there not many using the high steam system machines, I have found a couple who uses saw dust (Host and Bona) and or higher the machine from Tesco as they specialize in general cleaning, even them they don't seem to advertise that much, I am not sure how they get customer, probably thro recommendation. If I manage to join CC clue I think I will be a bit aggressive than that in marketing and advertisement.
In one of your thread, you said there is a distributor in Folkestone, what are they called and how can I find them?
You also offered an offline call, when is the best time to call you, I believe you will be another guidance angel as the many ladies and gentlemen in this forum?

Thanks all I really appreciate.

Warren Aldridge

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2012, 07:27:18 pm »
The course for carpet cleaning Prochem Chessington is £90 (last I looked)
It was of the same quality as the NCCA one which was £300 odd but that was 2 days including upholstery, the carpet bit is the same. Obviously Prochem will push their products, which I felt was helpful because choosing products is another mine field. Prochem carry a good range and its helpful that they show you them in practice.

I still use Prochem after dabbling with others.

Forget about your free time, you will be working 24/7, might not actually be cleaning but you will be absorbed in your business non stop. Late at night and on weekends. Especially if you do it all yourself including the marketing. However it doesn't really feel like work. The first couple of jobs will be back breaking and disheartening but then you'll start to slowly figure things out. And you will still be looking at your computer screen... a lot

Be wary of suppliers, they all push their own agenda's it will be up to you to decide what works best, don't hammer away trying to make a product work because supplier X said it would. When I was looking to buy my first machine some guy was pushing me to buy a Sabrina Maxi even though I had enough money for a bigger machine. He only sold Sabrina's.

I would start your marketing research now while you are still working full time. I started marketing my carpet cleaning business 6 months before I even picked up a wand, I wouldn't have started unless I was confident I could earn the same as my full time job. When I got calls I just said I was fully booked, about 4 weeks before I left my job I just took sneaky days off to do a job or two. The first carpet I cleaned was still one of the best results I ever got, double bedroom and stairs 4 hours  :o £50. Then I did an end of tenancy 4 bedroom. 7 hours of hell £250. Now I'd do it in 2 easy.

I've been going for 2 years now, still waiting for the easy life  ;)

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2012, 08:17:23 pm »
Hi Rat-race

The supplier in Folkstone is Dirtbusters cleaning supplies (Gavin).

Any time is ok to call.

Rat-race

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2012, 11:31:43 pm »
Hi Len Gribble
I suppose you are asking which course I am going for? I will be attending the 29/05 at Ashby Sittingbourn.

Richard
I will give you a call during the course of the week. Thanks again in advance.

Warren
Great piece of advice, your are very kind.

All
Keep it coming as it's buildig my confidence, I like you all.

Have a good weekend.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2012, 11:49:58 pm »
A lot of people do not like Ashbys  but their one day Marketing and Motivation course is useful if you can write quick . Hope they now produce a handout or manual.
If you implement ALL  they tell you you should be ok.

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2012, 07:01:56 am »
Beware buying from them.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Len Gribble

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2012, 06:35:02 pm »
Don’t be drawn in re curtains machine you will hardly ever use it  :'(

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2012, 09:20:59 pm »
Hi Rat-race that ok

Hi Len hope all is well

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2012, 11:03:04 pm »
But you do get to find out about the legend of the door

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2012, 07:41:08 am »
But you do get to find out about the legend of the door

Is that anything like the Navy legend of the "golden rivet"??