This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

TomSE

Another newbie nervous with loads of questions!
« on: April 13, 2012, 01:44:19 pm »
Hi all, I have decided to set up my own window cleaning business, after reading through a lot of posts on here and going through other sites and youtube videos I feel confident that I know most of the basics.

I have been out knocking with business cards to post when no one answers and after seeing a post on here have now attached a short note including the estimated price etc in the hope some more will call. I so far have two signed up but on roads where w/c are already operating so am aware I may not get many more on those roads in the near future. Both are bungalows and one is just the front with two large windows, door and small side window for £5, and the other a bungalow all the way round with 3 large windows, 2 doors and 2 small side windows for £8. Does this sound reasonable?

Fortunately for me a friend of mine is a local w/c trad and I went out with him for two days to learn and see what he does, however I was very nervy on the ladder, I am assuming though that this is normal but it has made me look much more into wfp systems. As yet I have only a few hundred quid spare so for now I have focused purely on knocking on bungalows, which fortunately in Essex there are plenty of.

However I am still unsure on a few things and any help/tips at all would be really appreciated.

Firstly when I am doing lead windows/doors I am currently using a wet cheap microfibre cloth with the solution out of my bucket which is water and squeegee off, then using a dry scrim to wipe the water off. Is this correct?
Also I have read alot about ecover and gg4, living in a hard water area would one of these be better than squeegee off?

Also I find that after doing one whole house my large scrim that was dry is pretty much completely wet all over, is this normal when starting?

I am working two days next week with a w/c who uses wfp so hopefully this will also give me much more insight into that side of things. I have looked into a trolley system and it seems I could do this for around £900 to get absolutely everything I would need, however I am unsure if I may have missed things out in this estimate does that sounds about right? I would be using my car for now and look into getting a van once I have a larger round.

I am also having a bit of trouble when practising with small windows, I have found on large windows they are coming up well and leaving little water behind, using the s method that I have seen on websites and youtube. However on smaller windows I don't really know how to approach them and find that a lot of water in left behind when I use my squeegee. Is there a certain method to smaller windows? Perhaps a smaller squeegee? I am currently using a 14 inch one.

Sorry for the long post and probably repeated questions, just very nervous as I am starting my first two customers in 10 days! Any help and tips at all would be very much appreciated.

johnny bravo

Re: Another newbie nervous with loads of questions!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 04:41:04 pm »
dont forget you may need a booster pump for your ro.     this was my downfall. with that price you should have one included.

SeamusCampbell1982

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:48:15 am »
Hi Jonny,

Look at this may help you with WFP System   http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/shop/backpacks/wcw-backpack-starter-kit.html

Just setting up myself Jonny. Wish you all the best Good - Luck   ;D

bobplum

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 04:08:25 pm »
for £900 you could do a van set up for that,imo
ebay and this site for everything second hand,well most things
tank for the van £50.00
harris pole and brush etc £50.00
second hand ro system?
Booster pump £100
pump for the van,ebay?

just a quick snap shot

bobby p

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 01:06:22 pm »
like everything in life,it takes a while to get used to it .    you will get over your ladder fear if you press on ,i recommend you carry on

maybe get a 12 inch squeegee

johnny bravo

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 09:26:27 pm »
backpack and brush+pole on ebay now,  good deals from £200, get you started,