This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Simon@ Clearview contractors

Pressure washing walls coated with Tyrolean...Help
« on: March 24, 2012, 08:27:06 pm »
Hi all, as the title says, I have a quote to do that requires pricing and was wondering if anyone has encountered this material and what would be the best method of cleaning and if any chemicals such as hypo or tfr will helpon the job.

Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Simon :) 

trevor perry

Re: Pressure washing walls coated with Tyrolean...Help
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 08:45:57 am »
have you any pictures of the surface simon
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 02:14:17 pm »
Not yet Trevor, I haven't seen the job yet...

Have you done anything with this kind of surface before?

trevor perry

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 04:48:35 pm »
i have done all sorts of surfaces but couldnt name what they where thats why i wanted the picture, if you manage to get a picture when viewing post it and i will let you know if i have cleaned it before
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 05:51:29 pm »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it the plaster/render compo thats applied using a machine that's crang opperated so it effectively splashes the mortar on.

Does this help any?

trevor perry

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 09:08:30 pm »
i know which you mean now, it is applied very thin, make sure it is adhered well as this has a tendency to have areas that can be hollow behind where it is not stuck proper to the render and if you do these areas with a turbo nozzle then they will break off, you can check it is adhered right by lightly tapping the surface if it sounds hollow in places then be very carefull, you are ok to use a chemical like hypo on this but i would only wash off with a fan nozzle and has said be carefull of hollow areas, hope that helps simon

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 09:56:25 pm »
Thanks for the advice Trevor :)

BDCS

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 10:16:12 pm »
Start at the bottom and work up, hypo will take the green off and use the very minimum pressure with a fan as said. If its at all spongy walk away as the customer may be teeing you up for a claim. Qualify in writing on the signed quote

Blast Away

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 07:38:39 am »
Dodgy stuff. Look out for, which will be clearly obvious to you as a no no this;

Roger Oakley

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 08:10:01 pm »
I think this is what the americans call Stucco, I have cleaned this type of surface, Shuflo pump, and Omni-pole, with either TFR or Hypo, then hose off. If it is blown like the photo above, walk away not worth the hassle IMO

Well what a ho-ha this job ended up...it was all going swimmingly, all walls coming up great after a pre-spray of 50/50 hypo, UNTIL...

The one wall that was constantly in contact with the sun just would not come up good.
This wall had discoloured from a cream coloured tyrolene to a grubby grey, after pre-spraying and then pressure washing there were still areas that looked grey and some that looked as though they had small runs, I tried and tried to get this like the other walls, even putting on the turbo nozzle for a short time but the surface just wouldn't come good.

The customer(who I thought was spot on before) returned home after being out for a short time, I approached him to explain the issue and discuss what to do about it....Well you would not believe the change in attitude from a once jolly cheerfull customer..."It's not good enough", "it's that algae that's still there" "you haven't sprayed it properly and I aint happy" he scoffed.

I just looked at the bloke, he staired at me, turned and walker into his converted barn/farmhouse.
"Pack the gear up Paul, we arn't getting paid off here" I said to the worker.
So we both packed up and off we drove, the bloke didn't come out to see why we had stopped, no phone call since no nothing...I was driving away chuckling to myself about the gall of this guy.

IMO he'd obviously pulled a few stunts like this before. >:(

BTW we were 75% done on this job, 11 man hours of tough work.

Blast Away

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 12:53:57 am »
Si, where's the job?

Maybe it consists of carbon soiling, too. Baked in by sun. HF to remove.

Have you got no images?

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 07:06:12 am »
Hi Lee, thanks for the reply, funnily enough just as I got the phone out to take pictures(early in the job) he came out and started a conversation, so unfortunately I haven't.

What's HF? ???

trevor perry

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 10:27:27 am »
Hi Lee, thanks for the reply, funnily enough just as I got the phone out to take pictures(early in the job) he came out and started a conversation, so unfortunately I haven't.

What's HF? ???

Simon HF is a strong acid cleaner, personally i wouldnt recomend using it unless you do some research first as you could easily damage other surfaces with its use, i am sure if you need to use this chemical and you need any further advice in its use you could ring lee or myself.