This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

sean84

Can you connect RO to this? With pics
« on: February 06, 2012, 12:09:30 pm »
So I will be buying an RO unit very soon  :) My TDS reading is just just below 200. I don't have an outside tap or garage so im planning to put my RO in my utitility area next to the downstairs toilet. My water meter is in the downstairs toilet and my mains supply is the cold feed coming off the meter, right? The supply just after the meter and below cold tap for sink has been teed off and goes through the wall to my washing machine:

Anyway, I have enquired about an RO unit but was out of stock  >:( but while I was on the phone I asked some general questions about installation and the chap said I could put a Y connector on the mains feed to washing machine and have RO connected to that, is this something I could do myself or would I need a plumber? Would I just unscrew the fiiting below, connect Y piece then connect washing machine and RO to Y piece?

sean84

Re: Can you connect RO to this? With pics
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:25:25 pm »
Another reason im a bit confused is Pure Freedom said I could connect an RO to my cold tap in the downstairs toilet, but someone mentioned on here that would be a bad thing. Whats the best, and easiest solution for me?

carl stanton

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:45:48 pm »
whilst you wait for a  reply here is some youtube to help you brush up on your pluming skills  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVdzP53X9vw&feature=related

carl stanton

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:50:50 pm »

sean84

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 01:28:03 pm »
whilst you wait for a  reply here is some youtube to help you brush up on your pluming skills  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVdzP53X9vw&feature=related

Love it  ;)

is this any help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMZgXIS7n6c

Only lasted a few minutes of that one.... I have no copper pipe to pierce into on the utility area where RO is going so thats no good really.

carl stanton

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:30:38 pm »
there is enough to tap into on the other pipe?

or just unscrew the fitting there and fit a new length of pipe with a stop end on

get moi?

a straight compression coupling, a length of pipe to tap in to,  then a stop end compression fixing

sean84

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 01:45:25 pm »
there is enough to tap into on the other pipe?

or just unscrew the fitting there and fit a new length of pipe with a stop end on

get moi?

Now I am confused!
And the other pipe on the right is a hot water feed teed off from the hot water tap under sink on other side of wall.

andyM

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 01:50:49 pm »
I take it you don't need to use the hot water feed pipe Sean.
So your washing machine has just got the cold feed?
One of the Plebs

carl stanton

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 01:53:14 pm »
see the hot water pipe? note the little piece of copper pipe?  you need to do the same thing to the cold feed.

or you could take what is on the hot and put on the cold feed, assuming it will move and still create a good seal, i would go and get new bits rather than save a few quid.

andyM

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 01:57:18 pm »
Sean you are going to have to use a compression fit equal tee (either 15mm or 22mm) depending what diameter pipework you already have.
Split one end off to feed the washing machine and the other feed to the ro.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/equal-tee-15mm-pack-of-2/95632
One of the Plebs

carl stanton

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 02:01:35 pm »
Sean you are going to have to use a compression fit equal tee (either 15mm or 22mm) depending what diameter pipework you already have.

yep then stick lenght of pipe in with stop end, jobs a good un

steven ainger

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 02:05:09 pm »
this is how mine is connected,
dont know if it will help .

carl stanton

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 02:06:29 pm »

seems alot easier!!!  ;D   ;D
unless you need the washing machine feed

Window Washers

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 05:45:15 pm »
So I will be buying an RO unit very soon  :) My TDS reading is just just below 200. I don't have an outside tap or garage so im planning to put my RO in my utitility area next to the downstairs toilet. My water meter is in the downstairs toilet and my mains supply is the cold feed coming off the meter, right? The supply just after the meter and below cold tap for sink has been teed off and goes through the wall to my washing machine:

Anyway, I have enquired about an RO unit but was out of stock  >:( but while I was on the phone I asked some general questions about installation and the chap said I could put a Y connector on the mains feed to washing machine and have RO connected to that, is this something I could do myself or would I need a plumber? Would I just unscrew the fiiting below, connect Y piece then connect washing machine and RO to Y piece?

Put in a t piece after your stop cock  and add a tap or a non return valve, then connect to your RO, you dont need a plumber for that job, cut pipe and use push fit is the easiest way for you to do this, or compression fittings
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

spongebob

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 06:24:42 pm »
sean. give me a ring and i'll talk u through it . 07973 165677 . andy

Window Washers

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 06:56:10 pm »

I thought your name was bob   :(
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

spongebob

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 07:14:08 pm »

I thought your name was bob   :(
I answer to anything if shes good looking or waving money ;D

CraigBlues

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 07:16:52 pm »

Where is that connector from?

CraigBlues

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 07:17:36 pm »
Sean, you can easily connect to that, your in Worcester aren't you? If you get stuck just let me know.

sean84

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 08:20:57 pm »
Some great ideas here lads, easiest one sounds like this one:

So basically where the flexible hose is connected to the cold feed put a piece of copper pipe, on the end of that pipe a compression tee. Off that compression tee, two short pieces of copper pipe seperately feeding washing machine and RO.

Sean, you can easily connect to that, your in Worcester aren't you? If you get stuck just let me know.

Cheers  ;) Will give you a shout if I get stuck, will be getting the RO next week.