This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

stevekennedy

Protecting systems from frost
« on: January 28, 2004, 03:36:07 pm »
Anyone got any ideas for protecting a wfp system from frost? I remember we left our carpet cleaning machine in the garage overnight and the pump broke due to frost. I think it was the same kind of pump as is used in pole systems.

SteveK

denzle

Re: Protecting systems from frost
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 04:04:06 pm »
If you park your van at your house, could buy an electric thermostatic oil filled radiator and leave it in the van overnight. I don't use a WFP so i don't know for sure but this might work. Or maybe lag everthing in polystyrene and foam from your local plumbers merchant.
Denzle

Rob_B

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 04:15:51 pm »
I keep all my stuff in the house, but how about something like a greenhouse heater (usually parrafin so don't know how safe they are), or if it's in a garage with electrics buy one of them timer switches and get a little electric heater to swicth on 15mins every hour.

stevekennedy

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 04:42:53 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions guys,

Carpet machine was in my dad's garage. Our house is on a council terrace. The van is on the street unfortunately, so got no electric  :(

Will try lagging the hoses etc. Excellent idea  ;D

Any idea where I can get one of these paraffin heaters? Sounds like one of them might do the job.

PS. Robb, Nice website. V. Impressive.

Rob_B

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 05:40:19 pm »
I would try one of the big diy stores for a greenhouse heater. Garden centres usually charge the earth.

Cheers about the website comment. Only cost £32 which included 2 year registration of rbwindowcleaning.co.uk. Its one and one starter package, dead easy to do.

stevekennedy

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 05:43:02 pm »
Been thinking of getting my own website going. Might copy some of your ideas  ;D  ;)

Old_Master

Hope its OK adverRe: Protecting systems from frost
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 07:55:18 pm »
We have  splashproof electric heaters with frost stat protection - so when the tempreture drops to freezing the heater clicks in, only £32.99
Tube heaters 2' 80watt £11.98
3' 135 watt £13.98
also Zodi Hot Vent 11 propane gas heaters £127.62

Hope its OK advertising  ;D
www.omnipole.com

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 10:15:06 pm »
OK listen carefully, one way of carrying on working at or about freezing is to put some " Isopropyl Alchohol" into your water supply because it dries spot less.
Now u may know I am tight with the water and get by on 2x 5 gallons a day so it dont cost me much to mix it in but for you other guys who use 0000s of gallons it might cost. You can order it from any good independent chemist or pharmacy or an industrial chemist.
So remember to buy me a pint or four.
If it grows much colder then your bristles will freeze up, then its time to put it back in. ! ! ! !
jeff

WavieDavie

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2004, 12:45:08 am »
Handy hint Jeff, thanks for that. What is your dilution rate? How much should you put in a 2 gallon bucket which already has detergent and water in it?

ALSO
Isn't Isopropyl Alcohol what some Austrians put in their wine a few years ago? Is that where you first heard of it?  ;)

All the best - hic!
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

jonesy5

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2004, 01:43:33 am »
Very nice hint, it would be nice if Dom could ok it  ;) ;D

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2004, 01:58:10 am »
Handy hint Jeff, thanks for that. What is your dilution rate? How much should you put in a 2 gallon bucket which already has detergent and water in it?

ALSO
Isn't Isopropyl Alcohol what some Austrians put in their wine a few years ago? Is that where you first heard of it?  ;)

All the best - hic!

Dave I don't think it would be too kind on your hands, but we need Dom to verify that.

You can get cheaper alternatives for putting in your squeegee bucket, the benefit of the Isopropyl Alcohol is you add it to your pure water, it doesn't leave spots when the water dries.  

Peter

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2004, 10:03:06 am »
Like peter says its not for buckets, but for wfp as the subject asks. 1 cap ful per litre approx.

WavieDavie

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2004, 11:20:03 am »
Thanks Peter and Jeff,

I have a small amount of wfp work, so duly noted for when the "bad weather" finally gets here!

You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Old_Master

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2004, 12:44:18 pm »
We use Isopropyl Alchohol (antifreeze) in our steam cleaning units in the winter to stop them freezing over night- we recycle it into a bucket to be used again.
I wouldnt try to use it on a pure water system because the usual antifreeze has a dye in it- also it would i am sure damage some parts of systems eg. DI resin.
It would certainly damage reverse osmosis membranes.

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2004, 01:24:52 pm »
Isopropyl Alcohol is just a rubbing alcohol, it is nothing like the antifreeze used in cars, although it could be an additive, if that is the stuff your thinking of?  I don't know if Isopropyl Alcohol will damage resin, I have never run it through resin, I just add it to the purified water.

peter

Old_Master

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2004, 04:33:52 pm »
Isopropyl Alcohol is used in Antifreeze,some products that contain isopropyl alcohol also contain methanol, ethanol, or ethylene glycol.
It was just a word of caution Peter we
dont want people buggering up their systems.