This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

neiljoust

winter
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:34:27 pm »
hi this is the first winter for me how do you guys with water fed poles stop the glass from freezing up soon as you put water on it please

Xtremely Clean

Re: winter
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 11:51:36 pm »
If there's heating on in house they shouldn't freeze untill they get down to below -5 you need to worry more about your hose freezing, I've got a hotwash which stops them freezing :)
Rob Clarke

supernova77

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 11:53:00 pm »
I've never had water freeze on a window using WFP... The house is normally heated, so the glass is warm enough for the water not to freeze.

Andy

neiljoust

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 11:56:10 pm »
thank you i normally do trad work but changed to wfp so not tryed it yet , it was soon as put app on windows the freeze would come first time tomorrow with wfp in the frost

deeege

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:35:03 am »
We have hardly had a winter (so far), a toasty 8•c today :)
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Jackal

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:11:43 am »
If there's heating on in house they shouldn't freeze untill they get down to below -5 you need to worry more about your hose freezing, I've got a hotwash which stops them freezing :)

hows this work then,im still trad but i put water on window just as you do,and yesterday i had a couple of windows freeze and think the temp was about 0c by half 9

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 08:36:50 am »
wfp is just so much better than climbing ladders up to every upper window to clean it whether its the middle of summer or the cold depths of winter! ;D ;D ;D

generally water doesnt freeze on glass due to heating in the house/business premises.only exceptions are porches and some conservatories that are not heated.i trad these in very cold conditions.ive never had my hose freeze up on me when trailing across frosty ground....yet!!if it does then its time to go home.my jets have frozen up a few times but a flask of hot water in the van soon sorts it out.

this winter has been kind to us up to now but i reckon your looking at no more than 2 weeks of really bad weather at worst that maybe we couldnt work.saying that last winter i was out with a trad pole and screenwash in my bucket cleaning cheap estate work a few afternoons!!(-2with snow on the ground!)so it can be done!!

IMO you need to be out working in all but the worst of weather(eg deep snow,heavy persistent rain and gale force winds a big no no).then with the money you make use some of it when its bad so your covered.AND ENJOY THE DOWNTIME!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

Window Washers

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 08:49:03 am »
I've never had water freeze on a window using WFP... The house is normally heated, so the glass is warm enough for the water not to freeze.

Andy
it can and does freeze, but very often maybe once or twice a year, I work in any weather, but when the water freezes on the glass it's annoying, normally morning on - days and on commercial work
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Tom White

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 08:55:29 am »
It will definitely freeze on unheated conservatories.  I once left a massive one looking like frosted glass.  I washed each window quickly and while I rinsed the water was freezing on the glass.

It looked pretty cool I thought, and the customer was fine.  I just said if there's any problems when it thaws out, phone me, and I'll be back.  It was fine, or at least the customer was fine about it.  ;D

Window Washers

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 08:57:29 am »
It will definitely freeze on unheated conservatories.  I once left a massive one looking like frosted glass.  I washed each window quickly and while I rinsed the water was freezing on the glass.

It looked pretty cool I thought, and the customer was fine.  I just said if there's any problems when it thaws out, phone me, and I'll be back.  It was fine, or at least the customer was fine about it.  ;D
;D I remeber saying that once, then got in the van thinking, thats a new selling point lol
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

neiljoust

Re: sill brushes
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 11:57:33 am »
hi guys do i go for a stiff bristle brush or medium one please

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 01:39:05 pm »
I did a block of flats early morning last year in the frost I did all the top floor when came to do the floor below all the windows had frozen even thou they must have had there heating on they still froze but saying that Ive never know it to be like it was last year & Ive been cleaning windows 26 years yearly !!! but when the ice defrosted from the glass they came out ok !!!!!!!

g.brookes

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 03:06:42 pm »
i got told by someone that it doesn't make a big difference if the house is heated if its double glazing, because most of the heat in the house doesn't reach the outside piece of glass, just as it stops more of the cold coming in.   I did have this on quite a few house last year when it was minus degrees outside with custys having the heating on, the water still froze to the windows

Scrimble

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 04:16:13 pm »
hi this is the first winter for me how do you guys with water fed poles stop the glass from freezing up soon as you put water on it please

use hot water

Window Washers

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 04:39:53 pm »

use hot water
if you used hot water on glass that is frozen thermal shock would break it, bad advice  ::)

Ian101

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 04:47:21 pm »
just to clarify but weve not had winter this year.

that was last year with minus 15 and 2 feet of snow

;)

Scrimble

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 05:23:45 pm »
if you used hot water on glass that is frozen thermal shock would break it, bad advice  ::)
[/quote]

been using hot water for weeks even at -3 outside never broken any glass yet,

fogwash on the lowest setting water is nice and warm no issues with water freezing on glass in hoses out the brush jets etc for the small outlay i'm still working and earning money when last year i would have packed up and gone home so yes must be bad advice   :-X

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 06:04:05 pm »
Warm water not Hot water !!!!!!!!!! glass wont crack !!!!!!!!!!! ???

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 08:32:51 pm »
Warm water not Hot water !!!!!!!!!! glass wont crack !!!!!!!!!!! ???

What you fell out with Mr Bones????

Isnt that right Mr Bones"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!??!?!!

;) :o 8)

Window Washers

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 09:40:03 pm »

been using hot water for weeks even at -3 outside never broken any glass yet,

fogwash on the lowest setting water is nice and warm no issues with water freezing on glass in hoses out the brush jets etc for the small outlay i'm still working and earning money when last year i would have packed up and gone home so yes must be bad advice   :-X
[/quote]so was that hot water or warm water you was using ?
My comment was about hot water, not warm water there is a massive difference