This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

geefree

I Would like 5 Vans on the road.
« on: January 17, 2012, 09:23:27 pm »
Right you guys, listen up , i need all the input i can get here,... good,  bad , silly and indifferent.

;)..but would probably like the experience of others ........

I have a huge round which is starting to bulge at the seams,

I have resisted taking anyone on , because of all the obvious pitfalls,

but, i cant continue to have negative thoughts about employees forever....

So i want to move forward,  so i need your help please,

its simple my plan, i want 5 vans on the road in the next 4-5 years

I obviously have a plan to start this process, which would begin with a part time lad with me first.

Helping me build on existing round, then start building a new round , which would give him a van, .. then we build again , so he can have a partner, and so on and so on.

My questions to you guys who have done this, are  ;

Is 5 years not enough time?

Would it be better to buy an existing round and build on both?

Are Canvassing companies a waste of time

Would it be better to share the employee with a friend who also has a round,
thus making him self employed?

Finally , how do you handle the complicated issues of holiday pay, sick pay, rainy days, etc etc etc.

Thanks in advance  ;)

Frankybadboy

Re: 5 Vans on the road.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 09:25:26 pm »
talk to richywilts ;) ;D

geefree

Re: 5 Vans on the road.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 09:26:27 pm »
Think i will wait for comments on that before i ask why  :D

bobby p

Re: Need 5 Vans on the road.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:09:04 pm »
rain wont stop play once you have workers wages to pay. we only stop if its a howling gale,even then somebody is hopping out of the van regular to check if its died down

richywilts

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:24:34 pm »
Don't do itv ;D ;D ;D
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

GDwindowcleaning

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 10:29:48 pm »
Nothing is impossible if you have the drive and determination, and just as important, just because others have failed doesnt mean that you will. Learn from their mistakes and do things right from day one and its possible. Trust your own judgement

Simon@ Clearview contractors

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 10:35:17 pm »
Wow! that's some target, to go from a 1 man band to a 10 man team.

Also with 5 vans full-time,expect to be looking at turnover of approx £375,000 PA

king marko

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 10:41:39 pm »
Have you thought about taking them on self employed? I suppose it takes away the cost of holiday/sick pay, rainy days etc..

P @ F

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 10:49:35 pm »
Gazza , can i  ask what you consider to be bulging at the seams ?
I only ask as im in the same position i think , only i have been down the van and worker number 2 road already .
It did not work for me and as a result im left in the same position as Richy Wilts and Dave Salkeld .
I have never been so stressed in my life , as a result , her indoors said to take some time off and get it sorted , this i did and last weekend i built a data base to see exactly what i had on the books , this is when i realised that it was no wonder that im on the stage of burnout .

Turns out that i have .........20k of domestic in one area
                                           10k of domestic in another
                                           10k of commercial.

So 40k in all , its no wonder the round and myself were suffering , i had no idea of what i had on the books as i dont run George or WCP !

As a result i just drove to my brothers house and handed him 2.5k of work on a plate , needless to say it got a smile and a big thankyou out of his ugly mug !
Still may need to fire off more , but dont want to go too mad yet !

My only advice to you is forget 5 vans for the moment , forget 1 in fact , get a good worker first , then get him a van later down the line , it cost me big time , i ran before i could walk you might say .....7 years W/C ing nearly went up in smoke !

I still got 2 vans though .....well more like 1.5 actually   ;D

Regards Rich

I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Pope vader

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 10:52:25 pm »
why dont u sub it out p and f

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 10:55:26 pm »
Gazza , can i  ask what you consider to be bulging at the seams ?
I only ask as im in the same position i think , only i have been down the van and worker number 2 road already .
It did not work for me and as a result im left in the same position as Richy Wilts and Dave Salkeld .
I have never been so stressed in my life , as a result , her indoors said to take some time off and get it sorted , this i did and last weekend i built a data base to see exactly what i had on the books , this is when i realised that it was no wonder that im on the stage of burnout .

Turns out that i have .........20k of domestic in one area
                                           10k of domestic in another
                                           10k of commercial.

So 40k in all , its no wonder the round and myself were suffering , i had no idea of what i had on the books as i dont run George or WCP !

As a result i just drove to my brothers house and handed him 2.5k of work on a plate , needless to say it got a smile and a big thankyou out of his ugly mug !
Still may need to fire off more , but dont want to go too mad yet !

My only advice to you is forget 5 vans for the moment , forget 1 in fact , get a good worker first , then get him a van later down the line , it cost me big time , i ran before i could walk you might say .....7 years W/C ing nearly went up in smoke !

I still got 2 vans though .....well more like 1.5 actually   ;D

Regards Rich

IS THAT YOUR OLD COMBO CUT DOWN RICH?!!!!!! :o :o :o :o ;D ;D

P @ F

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 11:05:45 pm »
Santa , just wanted a clean break , maybe i could have pulled cash out of it , but all i want is a good wage and an empty diary !

Winpro , why yes it is , told you the stress was getting to me , i used to look like a pro !

Rich

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 11:08:25 pm »
Santa , just wanted a clean break , maybe i could have pulled cash out of it , but all i want is a good wage and an empty diary !

Winpro , why yes it is , told you the stress was getting to me , i used to look like a pro !

Rich

STRESS!! I should have seen the signs when you painted your nice VW van bright PINK!! ;D

The trailer's cool, never seen that before! :D

supernova77

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 11:17:09 pm »
I still got 2 vans though .....well more like 1.5 actually

Rich,

What do you have in the trailer?

Andy

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 11:28:41 pm »
Be careful what you wish for

P @ F

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 11:45:31 pm »
Andy , nowt , just thought it would look good  ;D

All this minus the wfp system , didnt see the point of having 2 systems !

And it meant i was able to help Mr Morris out the other week by lending him the pump box due to equipment failure on mass proportions , he did i would like to add return it in pristine condition , even though he had been using it as a bin for fish and chip wrappers !

G Griffin

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 11:50:07 pm »
Stay on your own but have a different van for each day of the week. Much less hassle, less depreciation on the vans and you'll be able to answer all the "which van" thread questions.  
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

P @ F

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 12:04:48 am »
Is that the same Mr Griffin that  won my comp a while back ?
I think it might be , if so not sure if i got the message to you , but the charity concerned was most greatful that you donated the prize money to them .
Who knows , a combo trailer may well be the next TOP PRIZE !
Feels a bit like BULLSEYE , when you win a speedboat and nothing to tow it with !

Rich

P @ F

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 12:25:35 am »
Sorry Gazza , i shall return your thread with no further ado , i am suffering with stress you know , my question still stands about the bulging aspect , if you feel you can do what you say then go for it.
What is the worst that can happen ?
Your other half will end up driving a pink car , and you will cut your van in half , ive had worse days mate  ;D ;D ;D

Back to you  !

Regards Rich

G Griffin

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 12:36:51 am »
Is that the same Mr Griffin that  won my comp a while back ?
I think it might be , if so not sure if i got the message to you , but the charity concerned was most greatful that you donated the prize money to them .
Who knows , a combo trailer may well be the next TOP PRIZE !
Feels a bit like BULLSEYE , when you win a speedboat and nothing to tow it with !

Rich

Yes, it's me, Rich. That's nice to hear but don't forget it was the money, you put up; I was just joining in for a bit of fun. I'm glad it went to a good cause but it's you that deserves that credit  ;).
When's the next one, anyway?........"Non-dart throwing player first, please"  ;D
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐