This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

JackieW

Which RO produces the least waste?
« on: January 15, 2012, 09:45:38 am »
Life was so simple before with window cleaning. What length squeegee do I need?

Starting to get confused (understatement)  as to which RO to go for and I'm concerned about the amount of waste water that will be produced. I naively thought 100% of the water going in dirty came out pure the other end.

Now finding out that the majority of the water is thrown down the drain. (Please don't say water the garden with it.)

I can't seem to find any readily available references to this aspect of RO systems  in the sales literature that the various systems offer.

Any advice as I'd prefer as little waste as possible even at a higher initial cost or possible ongoing cost.

Thanks once again for those who take the time to answer and offer advice.

Londoner

Re: Which RO produces the least waste?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 10:24:41 am »
Actually the best option is DI only, no RO. I have been discussing this with a mate recently. OK it will cost about £5 a day in resin but how bad is that? It solves a lot of problems.

Window Washers

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 10:29:01 am »
Life was so simple before with window cleaning. What length squeegee do I need?

Starting to get confused (understatement)  as to which RO to go for and I'm concerned about the amount of waste water that will be produced. I naively thought 100% of the water going in dirty came out pure the other end.

Now finding out that the majority of the water is thrown down the drain. (Please don't say water the garden with it.)

I can't seem to find any readily available references to this aspect of RO systems  in the sales literature that the various systems offer.

Any advice as I'd prefer as little waste as possible even at a higher initial cost or possible ongoing cost.

Thanks once again for those who take the time to answer and offer advice.
Personally I went for a 4040 as on a water meter as you can control the waste on this, this is not the cheapest RO but it is the fastest.

Your alwasy going to get waste due to the water that comes out the tap has minerals and god knows what else in it and that needs to be stripped.

You will be surprised how little the water bill will increase, it does look like a lot of water is being wasted because your not used to seeing it.
Makes my laugh now thinking of water I was like when I started, if I had 20litres of pure water in a barrel I would treat it like it was gold lol

to follow on from Vince, DI would be the best if you have a tds level lower than that of the exit point of an RO lets say TDS of 40 as an example.
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

SimonMoore

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 09:52:09 pm »
jackie,

i have a used ionic pro 6 system and van for sale,  which only rejects 20% instead of 50/60% from a typical 4040ro system.

it also produces the water at a consistantly low tds, normally around 3 - 5ppm. this means that you really dont neccessarily need di resin which can save you alot of money in the long run.

http://www.ionicsystems.com/english/pro6.html

if you are interested, my email address is in my profile info. i can send you further info / pics

thanks

DMC Window Cleaners Ltd

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 11:31:16 am »

sean84

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 03:00:14 pm »
ionics pro 7

ZERO waste water

http://www.ionicsystems.com/english/pro7.html

That looks tasty, how much do these cost? No prices, I presume you have to call for a price....

andrewlefkas

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 07:50:08 pm »
Jackie
the waste water bothered me even though I know water on meter isnt that bad cost wise ,i just dont like waste ;D
If you have a garden and fall pipe you could think about rainwater harvesting .Been doing harvesting a couple of months know. My set up is a few water butts with big u-bend running of a P3 filter from fall pipe, then I have another butt in garage next to RO from pure freedom , turn water butt pump on connected to RO pre-filters ,booster pump after pre-filters but before RO membranes ,waste back into water butt -result so far TDS in from rainwater 30-35 ish - fill three 25 l containers leaving water re-cycling round RO-waste- water butt and round again , note this only works because of low incomming TDS, anyway its a nice feeling being green and my solar panels power the pumps for free .Its no good if your gonna need 1000 s of litres a week but for small scale it works for me. I always have tapwater to fall back on if we dont get rain ;DThere thats my two p s worth .

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:12:39 pm »
The one that`s set up rite.They all work on the same principal.

DMC Window Cleaners Ltd

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 04:08:53 pm »
ionics pro 7

ZERO waste water

http://www.ionicsystems.com/english/pro7.html

That looks tasty, how much do these cost? No prices, I presume you have to call for a price....

Was £7000 last time i looked

Rogue Trader

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 07:56:30 pm »
get yourself an hf5 4040 from june at gapswater , will cost you £400 odd and my tds before ro is 250 after is 2 , dont need to bother with resin and works 50/50 though im told i should set the waste higher.