Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

richywilts

For those who work on own
« on: January 14, 2012, 12:40:44 pm »
How many customers do you have and what frequency I'm playing with idea of downsizing as really finding it difficult to progress business I feel I've hit a brick wall,I've tried to grow big but can't seem to motivate staff even tho I try, I don't think I have authority to manage I back down too much.im sick of staff wanting high wages and not being productive enough and it's really getting me down all they care about is themselves.

Since break in we prob had 1000 customers thru jobbing off messers and losing a lot after break indown to below 700 now not enuf for myself n 3 staff.

I offered to keep them all on butbegin canvassing tues n thurs evening with basic wage plus 5quid a customer they get on.

I don't think they are that motivated they just want to clean windows and do admin and really do not understand I can't keep them all on at present unless we do some serious rebuilding.

I've got to point I don't want to go to work now only option is going it alone and selling or jabbing off the crap work and rebuild steadily and grow when I'm ready,problem is I'm signed into 5 year lease on unit etc which I have another seperate business idea to utilise the space
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

lyndy

Re: For those who work on own
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 12:51:26 pm »
Sounds like you needs time out,you can't see the wood for trees.

Get rid or lay your staff off

GDwindowcleaning

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 12:52:29 pm »
Its very honest of you to admit your weaknesses, but cos you can admit them it means you can fix them if you want to...

Peolpe that are not self aware cant change but you can, you just need to get your head in the right place and you can do it all again. I would call a meeting with your staff and lay it all on the line, unless they step up they will be unemployed....

Erithwc

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 12:54:55 pm »
you sound like someone in deep money problems and totaly stressed out for little return.

only you know whats really going on with you business what work you have what debts you have ect.

as for the lock up can you not pay a cancellation fee.

Plus the problem with down sizing your business will mean you will have to do window cleaning and you have already stated that you don't like doing it.

Dave Willis

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 12:58:13 pm »
I would think one van with two men could easily cover your existing round.

richywilts

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 01:03:12 pm »
It's all sine the break in things were going ok except for van being off road two weeks before break in I just don't think they give two hoots if things go tits up I am pretty close to breaking point money wise
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richywilts

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 01:04:34 pm »
Mark 200 of those customers cud be sacked off coz crap payers I cud have400-500 customers for myself n start earning money for myself
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

Carl@Cwc

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 01:07:38 pm »
m8 we have been here b4 ????

we have 5 staff in various occupations and if me and mrs could go back to just doing them ourselves we would in a flash as noone does it like you  , why ?? because its your money you are earning.

you need to get rid of rubbish ,not wanted rounds and staff, whilst keeping enough for you & 1 more person (possibly).
get out there get em cleaned ,take the money and stop whining lol.

how can u be stressing yourself out cleaning windows ?  back to basics for u m8.

my biggest stress is finding a dogpoo in the way or cant find my lighter.

and for that reason im out!

Pope vader

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 01:09:13 pm »
get a van, with you and ur best worker, and take all the cream of than round,  all the best payers and sell the rest off,  

or as above, but get ur crap you dont want,  get a  van, get the other 2 staff give them a van and round as reduncy and say bye,  let them run on there own

richywilts

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 01:10:22 pm »
you sound like someone in deep money problems and totaly stressed out for little return.

only you know whats really going on with you business what work you have what debts you have ect.

as for the lock up can you not pay a cancellation fee.

Plus the problem with down sizing your business will mean you will have to do window cleaning and you have already stated that you don't like doing it.

I say I don't like window cleaning but that's wen I'm taking very little wage and doing loads a work to line other pols pockets!!!!

I understand wat u r saying life is a struggle at min but nothing I can't cope with if I was that desperate I'd of got rid before now Im just trying to gauge whether it's worth still working to long term goal and struggling or forget it and take above average wage but do it all alone
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

Dave Willis

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 01:10:53 pm »
I think you're blaming the breakins on a failing business. Run one van with you and a trusted mate, run the business just below the vat threshold and you can't go wrong. It means working for a living, no more swanning about in the 'office' but there is potential for decent money for the pair of you with little overheads. Maybe sub-let the unit, you don't need it.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 01:11:26 pm »
You need to be careful that your staff don't nick your work when you get rid of them mate.

If I was you I'd go to the pub, watch liverpool hammer stoke (fingers crossed), forget about window cleaning until tomorrow afternoon/night and chill. That's what I'm going to do anyway.

Dean.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 01:13:53 pm »
i bet with the work you ve got you could sell some on to employees then just concentrate on cleaning the best work yourself.

surely you could scale down with one van.sell other vans and equipment and work.pay debts off and earn on your own.

i bet you could make £150-£250 a day 4 or 5 days a week working as a sole trader.

look after number one.YOU!!

i reckon if you did this and kept it simple with hardly any hassle you d be happier!! ;) ;D ;D

with a good healthy profit at the end of the year!!

best wishes

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 01:18:23 pm »
i have 300+ customers.mostly domestic on calendar monthly with around 50 two monthlies and a few commercial.i have time at the end of the month to fit in fascia/soffit/conny roof cleans or have a few days off.

it works well for me.im doing well!!and im happy with hardly any hassle!! ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

richywilts

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 01:30:54 pm »
Daz ur business sounds appealing right now!!!
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

Dean Taberner

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 01:31:12 pm »
I'm going to watch Port Vale instead and then drink, ill need a drink after that.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

richywilts

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 01:36:17 pm »
I think you're blaming the breakins on a failing business. Run one van with you and a trusted mate, run the business just below the vat threshold and you can't go wrong. It means working for a living, no more swanning about in the 'office' but there is potential for decent money for the pair of you with little overheads. Maybe sub-let the unit, you don't need it.

The break in was cause of failing business I'm not using it to blame I've had to replace equipment,lost debt lists,lost hundreds customer details,relocate,repair damages,decorate new unit,give lads work till we updated all customer details we salvaged from old wood sheets etc.

At time didn't seem hat significant but adding it all up it's prob cost me 15grand plus

I tried to get on and plod on even layed a lad off in December to cut costs but had to pay him 11 days holiday he accrued then lost a week time off over xmas
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

Scott Dean

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 01:39:56 pm »
Take a look at the people who work for you or around you. Now if they are not motivated is it something that could be changed by you being more positive or are they just not interested in the business?

If the staff are not supporting you or the business you need to move them on, you and your business are the most important thing here and not the well being of your members of staff, that comes second in my book.

You need staff that can take the reigns and help move your business ahead, not control you. Remember without a steady income of new customers they'll be back down the job centre looking for another position, as without a strong customer base they'll have no wages.

Most will say that your ex-employee's can or will steal your work from under you but a short headed letter to your clients will concrete them into staying with you, all this should be completed before the dead wait are moved on. On the plus side, a little shuffle of staff should make the ones you keep think twice and motivate them into pulling their finger out.

Just on a minor note, if your paying them a set wage move them onto a more bonus based scheme. If they don't put in the effort then they wont reap any rewards, be it cleaning, admin or canvassing.

The one thing you must be through all of this is be positive. I know it can be very hard but all your hard work will be wasted and you'll kick yourself later down the line for not sticking at it.

Hope that's helped...

Carl@Cwc

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 01:42:44 pm »
Daz ur business sounds appealing right now!!!

sit down and make it happen then.

set yourself £150 or whatever a day min x 5 days max pr wk.

you really are very fortunate that you can do this , lots would kill for 700 custies.

it really is in your hands to do, i wouldnt rest till id trimmed it to suit me and me only.

be carefull with getting rid of staff as they have been the window cleaner and could easily pinch lots of work for themselves. as they are really the point of contact .

it was a good idea to sell the van and rounds you dont want on to staff as a thanks but no thanks.
if they are not really bothered but fancy the idea of being there own boss , they might do you a favour and splash the cash and knacker there round up.

think what you need to continue, and get rid of rest howver you prefer, leaving you again back in charge of YOUR business

colley614

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 01:43:44 pm »
Richy, everythings fine. Trust me on that. I bet I could sort this out with you. Just don't panic!