This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mobile valeting & Power wash Services

OOPS Dead pressure washer
« on: November 23, 2005, 08:07:52 pm »
Word of warning to all, completed a fleet clean Monday Morning 3.00am. Drove home parked up the van ran inside as it was sooooo cooooold, went to bed.
Returned to the van 12 o'clock to replenish the water tanks ready for the next job later that day, what a sight van rear totally flooded caused by split pipes running from water tanks, HDS Karcher pipes all frozen some split, could have cryed :'(.  This is going to cost me a fortune to repair, If only I had bought the diesel heater I was thingking about last week, went indoors and told the wife who informed me how stupid I was, got more sympathy from the dog in the end.
I wouldn't mind but I always run antifreeze through my pipes at this time of year well I thought I did, not this time though.
Malky
Power Wash,polish & shine

Re: OOPS Dead pressure washer
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 12:13:44 am »
Contacted insurance company, frost damage not covered whilst in vehicle ???.Totaly my own fault as I should have known better.
Malky

preston powerblast

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 08:52:30 am »
Its not going to be cheap mate, similar thing happened to me. But it wasnt frost damage it was just wear and tear, but I had the option new pipe 50 quid or a repair 15 quid. I know its false economy but I opted for the repair which only lasted a few weeks.
Hope you managed to get sorted out.
                                                     Gary

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 04:13:41 pm »
Hi Gary,
had the Karcher engineer out today, wish it was just £50 turns out repair costs in region of £500+ seals pipes etc,etc. Will be cheaper in the long run buying a new one or good second hand one. The HDS is a 1992 model so beyond economical repair you might say, now on the lookout for a diesel engined hot and cold washer speak soon
Malky :'( :'( :'(

Paul Forster

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 06:09:57 pm »
Hi could you not  source and fit the spares yourself ? Was going to do my last pressure washing job of the year on Satuarday but snow forecast so ree booked in March. I always run antifreze through. It may be worth getting a parafin heater to go in the van - would be safe if sat in a steel bucket or similar.

Paul

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 08:31:59 pm »
Thought about it Paul, but more trouble than it would be worth,perfect excuse for a new one though.
Malky :(

preston powerblast

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 09:24:36 pm »
Bloody hell, Its a shame you dont have a repair guy like the one I have.
He keeps my machine operational.
When I first started and didnt have much money, my machine needed all new seals etc, but I just couldnt afford to have it all done.
So he took all used stuff out of another machine that he had for spares and told me that it definately would need doing again in about five weeks. He didnt even demand payment there and then.
The machine lasted nearly three months, then he replaced everything and then sent me a bill.
I always pay the guy, but sometimes he has to wait for his money but he is happy to that.
But he keeps my machine operational.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 07:19:39 pm »
Hi Gary,
The Karcher was built in 1992 so 13 years aint to bad, shame as the modern machines do not compare a new Karcher is about three and a half so might find someone who will repair without charging a fortune, I still have the backup but it would be no good for the bigger jobs as I need heat, will have to look around when I have a bit of time.
Malky

Paul Forster

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 09:05:37 pm »
Hi i would be intrested to know what machine you get if new - i too was put off by the high cost of the HDS1000 new so went for my current 250 bar petrol cold but will probably invest in a karcher electric hot wash and genny when space and vehicle alow.

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 10:01:01 pm »
Paul, Karchers new are going for £4,700 and that's the petrol model 13hp delivered to your door, so am going to try and source a good 2nd hand model as they are very reliable when looked after, will let you know how I get on.
Have borrowed a Karcher 601? hot wash from a mate for the time being seems to run off the generator ok
ps nothing on e-bay yet either.
Malky

preston powerblast

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 11:51:48 pm »
Even ones like mine are 2666.00 +vat.
I'm sure that there should be some salvagable parts on yours, have a look for some commercial auctions in your area these can sometimes be a good place for items at very knock down prices especially this time of year.

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 12:06:48 am »
Never thought of sourcing from overseas :-\ worth thinking about, Gary is yours a hot wash?

preston powerblast

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 07:12:02 am »
It is mate, mines a Karcher HDS 801B its 3 years old,  I have tried others especially when mine has been in the workshop. The repair guy lends me a machine, especially if I've got work on and mine needs a service.
But they just dont compare.
I have been on the look out for a second hand model, but they just do not seem to come up for sale very often.
I think over the next few months this will be the time to look and buy one.
Fingers crossed...

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 07:46:16 pm »
Good news for a change Gary, just returned from speaking to a transport manager about increasing his weekly washes to include 2 full valets a week up untill April 06,during the talks I mentioned about my big washer and he told me they had a big washer which is now redundent lying in storage and if it was any good to me make an offer. Had a look and it turned out to be a Karcher think it was a 685, nice condition to, being the cheeky person I am as a joke  ;D I offered him £50 to take it off his hands which he quickly excepted (there is a god I thought) so my problem is solved for the time being, driving home I received a call from a taxi firm wanting 15 cars valeted every 2 weeks after a quick chat later on with the owner I landed the contract up till March 06, so every cloud has a silver lining after all ;D ;D will still have to source another Industrial washer but now I can take my time and wait for the right one to come along.
Malky
Malky

preston powerblast

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 01:00:03 pm »
Great news, well done mate.
Glad you are managing to keep busy during these quiet months.
I've turned my attention to the window cleaning side of things for the time being and have just started to build my wfp system.
Ive landed a couple of good contracts but the are only due to start in feb 06.
Best of luck Malky.
                 Gary

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 07:39:15 pm »
Thanks for that Gary, onwards and upwards, will the window cleaning not clash with the power washing in the summer?
Malky

preston powerblast

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 07:50:06 pm »
Thats what staff will be for ;D

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 08:00:09 pm »
Staff mmm :o
they say you can never be to big but the thought of tax/insurance etc
and wages rather you than me, all the best and many thanks for all your input regarding my washer problem, Window cleaning still doesn't appeal hope you stay busy over the winter.  8)l
Malky

preston powerblast

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 08:09:29 pm »
I think the wfp will take the insurance down a bit.
tax wages etc that what me accountants for.

Paul Forster

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 05:48:39 pm »
Glad your problems are now sorted.

i too am expanding but selling on the grounds maintenace side and expanding into pest control and pushing the jet washing and drain unnblocking even more.

Paul