Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Catherine10

Re: girlfrriend want role in business
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2011, 11:20:02 pm »
And neither do I take any prisoners, but I dont really need to state that, because I do try and work with people, taking no prisoners is out of date  It just dosent work like that prisoners and all that guff.  Isnt it about moving forwards?

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2011, 11:33:19 pm »
So you and Chris the guru don`t clean windows,2 lads do it and you need assistance to free up your time. But you are both going to concentrate on bringing quality work in. That probably means an ad in the job centre for a canvasser and then you two can interview for a week or so to select someone whilst feeling good about progressing the great business model and this will distract anyone from realising that in effect you both do very little but talk big ideas.My opinion from posts read is that you are a pair of self indulgent fantasists living in your own cuckoo land.So have you ever turned a profit? As things stand can you pay all payroll staff if bad weather stops your income stream for 2-3 weeks? It does seem all your expansion has come from a paid canvasser,it doesn`t add up,when are you going to get in front? Your sailing on projections to some "Holy Grail" but i bet these projections have the backside kicked out of them weekly.You desperately need common sense applied,the pair of you need to be out in those vans at least a couple of days a week keeping your fingers on the pulse.You could lose both those employees in the blink of an eye for any number of reasons.Anyway i could go on and on but the bottom line is, if you are on here asking whether its best to have a part timer in the morning or afternoon then i don`t hold out much hope. And NO, you shouldn`t give the girlfriend a job unless its using a wfp! 

dazmond

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2011, 07:44:38 am »
Good post Sean!he changes his mind more than the weather!

Time to chill out and K.I.S.S

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid!

Richy you really are over complicating what is very simple,straightforward business to run.if your not turning a profit your doing something very wrong.

Best wishes
Dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Helen

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2011, 08:01:45 am »
You ooze confidence Helen, not everybody does.  communication, talking to people It can be quite difficult depending on what nature you are, some people find certain things difficult.

I had little confidence until coming into our own business.
I had little sales experience until coming into our own business
I had little cleaning experience until coming in to our own business.

Point is "our own business" if you want to succeed you have to get over the "i don't want to do this bit" you have to be able to do it all, whenever it needs doing, even when you couldn't give a monkeys"

Wizzie was just using a turn of speech. :) and sometimes some people do need things pointed out to them though instead of fluffing around.
There are some people that can run a business and there are some that shouldn't. Richy you need to STOP with any new ideas now.
Consolidate what you have already for at least one year and then re-access.
Dig deep and get it back on track.

By changing your mind all the time and doing nothing you are heading back towards depression and the next time it happens you may not be so lucky to have staff that will cover it all for you.
IMO unlesss you and your girlfriend havea really strong relationship that could withstand 24/7 together, then don't do it. :)

Catherine10

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2011, 08:10:04 am »
Good on you Helen, yea I know - and you do have to do things that take you out of your comfort zone

Helen

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2011, 09:12:03 am »
Good on you Helen, yea I know - and you do have to do things that take you out of your comfort zone

and if you can't/won't then you shouldn't be running your own business easy as that! :)

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2011, 04:48:45 pm »
I've worked with my other half for just under 2 years. Work is split equally although he's still quicker than me, on trad I'm working hard to math him.
He does canvassing/leafleting/any collecting. I do all the paperwork/work organising.
Works very well for us but we have been together for 26 years! Unless your relationship is rock solid AND your girlfriend is prepared for a bit of hard work then I wouldn't go there!

Helen

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2011, 05:01:38 pm »
I've worked with my other half for just under 2 years. Work is split equally although he's still quicker than me, on trad I'm working hard to math him.
He does canvassing/leafleting/any collecting. I do all the paperwork/work organising.
Works very well for us but we have been together for 26 years! Unless your relationship is rock solid AND your girlfriend is prepared for a bit of hard work then I wouldn't go there!

We have a rule that never gets broken..... we don't argue over anything to do with the business, we may disagree, but do not let it get in between us! If one of us feels an argument coming on, we walk away from each other. It may be our livelihood, but we would rather ditch it than argue over it.
Rules that apply out on the road doing the actual physical work, hubbie is the boss, in the office and overseeing evening cleaners, that is my domain.
It has worked very well over the past 12 years and hopefully it will continue to do so (as long as he does what I say......eventually) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2011, 05:26:34 pm »
Interesting thread and I'm inclined to agree with Sean. Ritchy most of the time you seem to be in the mire with little spare cash, can't get a loan, can't move forwards. Build up slowly, can you afford another wage? It wouldn't appear so. Why do you post everything on here? Are you asking for advice or what appears to me is you love to brag. "my staff this, my staff that". Just take your time and don't get led astray all the time - I honestly think you are being taken for a ride with bad advice from get rich quick mates with no business sense whatsoever. In the last few months you were going into carpet cleaning, then you were going big in commercial window cleaning, then you were going to sell up, now your opening a shop, someone's hinting that telesales will be the next big thing.
 keep it simple.

Sorry, but that's the way I see it.

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2011, 05:52:42 pm »

We have a rule that never gets broken..... we don't argue over anything to do with the business, we may disagree, but do not let it get in between us! If one of us feels an argument coming on, we walk away from each other. It may be our livelihood, but we would rather ditch it than argue over it.
Rules that apply out on the road doing the actual physical work, hubbie is the boss, in the office and overseeing evening cleaners, that is my domain.
It has worked very well over the past 12 years and hopefully it will continue to do so (as long as he does what I say......eventually) ;D ;D ;D ;D

We try and work the same. Hubbie definitely the boss on the road, but I control the office stuff. We rarely fall out and  if we do like you we try and just get on with our work while we calm down! Can work brilliantly, it does for us anyway and there are a couple of husband and wife teams round here :)

Frankybadboy

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2011, 06:40:05 pm »
Interesting thread and I'm inclined to agree with Sean. Ritchy most of the time you seem to be in the mire with little spare cash, can't get a loan, can't move forwards. Build up slowly, can you afford another wage? It wouldn't appear so. Why do you post everything on here? Are you asking for advice or what appears to me is you love to brag. "my staff this, my staff that". Just take your time and don't get led astray all the time - I honestly think you are being taken for a ride with bad advice from get rich quick mates with no business sense whatsoever. In the last few months you were going into carpet cleaning, then you were going big in commercial window cleaning, then you were going to sell up, now your opening a shop, someone's hinting that telesales will be the next big thing.
 keep it simple.

dont forget the 3vans with heated systems

as above really,

sorry richy keep it very simple.

richywilts

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2011, 08:28:29 pm »
 keep it simple.

when the hell have i ever bragged on here bout my staff, so what if iv considered doing other things,i research into things n make a decision at least im thinking outside the box unlike many others on here who havent got the balls to risk going into bigger things.i asked a simple question about my girlfriend coming in to help out
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

bobplum

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2011, 08:32:36 pm »
you keep going young un ;)

Window Washers

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2011, 08:56:09 pm »
missus and working with them, no way ho'sey "little bit of misspelling and pun rolled into one"

Richy don't do it dude, do the work you don't like it will only make your business stronger, when you can't do the cleaning and the paper work and the rest get some young lady/guy in to help or outsource that part.

I am married to my wife, I don't want to have to work with her, sod that I have to live with her :)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Dave Willis

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2011, 09:15:30 pm »
 keep it simple.

when the hell have i ever bragged on here bout my staff, so what if iv considered doing other things,i research into things n make a decision at least im thinking outside the box unlike many others on here who havent got the balls to risk going into bigger things.i asked a simple question about my girlfriend coming in to help out

Sometimes it's nothing to do with balls but common sense. You carry on mate.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2011, 09:24:51 pm »
Maybe open a fancy dress shop like the one in Mr Ben

Dean Taberner

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2011, 09:27:53 pm »
The bottom line is to make sure that not only do you enjoy your windows, but that you cherish every moment that you spend with them too,

Dean.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

Dean Taberner

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2011, 09:29:22 pm »
Maybe open a fancy dress shop like the one in Mr Ben

Yes going forward that could be a good idea :D
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

Catherine10

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2011, 09:33:21 pm »
Cant do without my better half, I get stuck, then he solves it.

Scoop

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2011, 10:41:45 pm »
i asked a simple question about my girlfriend coming in to help out

I've read this whole thread and Richy has had some flack. But (almost) all of it is well meaning flack. We all know how little spare cash there is floating around for admin and wages. That's why the warning bells start ringing.

Why do you want your girlfriend there? Why does she want to be working with you? Is it an easy option for her (i.e easier than working for another company). Has she got a clearly defined role? Will she be able to generate at least twice to three times her wages from the work she does?

I have had two spouses working in my businesses. With the first I/we generated a million pounds of turnover working from an office the basement of our house. With the second it ... didn't work out as well  ;)

I don't know which one you have. If it's one like Helen or A&J above then they will motivate you to great things. If she's argumentative with you in front of staff, drifts in at 12pm because she had to watch the end of Loose Women and then digs in her bag for the latest Take a Break while you make her a coffee then it may not be the partnership you are hoping for.

At the end of the day only one person can steer and thats you. You'll get the rewards and the thunderous applause if you steer in the right direction. You'll get the consequences if you don't.

Steer well, and speaking as someone who had it all and lost it and is working back towards having it all again, treat your business like a new-born baby. Feed it until it's strong and and protect it from anything that may cause it harm, no matter who's feelings you hurt.
Don't wish it were easier. Wish that you were better - Jim Rohn