This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Twc services

fans VS pencil jets
« on: October 15, 2011, 07:01:47 pm »
Which is better for everyday and which would be fastest ?

Jeff Brimble

Re: fans VS pencil jets
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 07:06:11 pm »
Depends on you, your work and the ammount of water you want to use and Mono or flocked filament. Try both, buy 2 brushes.You wont get anyone answer.

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 09:41:45 pm »
Ive always used pencils, but recently changed over to fans. I find that i use less water and most of my houses are easier to clean with fans (though not all of them)

As Jeff said - it can be a personal preference, so give both a try
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 06:32:38 am »
Hi
I prefer the accuracy of rinsing with pencil jets. I have a Superlight Double trim which I converted from pencils to fan jets.
I find that to get a decent flow rate with fans you get spray everywhere.
In my experience, the only way of 'containing' that spray is to rinse on the glass; which I'm not a 'fan' of. If I reduce the flow to stop the spray, rinsing the glass takes too long.

I will probably try Gardiners new fan jets when they come out and see if they are any better.

I agree with Jeff, it's a matter of personal preference. I also think that if you try them, you need to stick with them for an extended period of time to adapt to them and not just for a couple of windows. Also remember that with current fans on offer, you need to drill a 12mm hole in your brush for each jet. If you don't like them, you are left with the holes.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 06:58:26 am »
i find the pencils do use a bit more water but do a better job with the rinsing down

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 09:34:04 am »
I've thought about this. I think what you'd ideally need is a horizontal flat 360 degree fan jet to promote water flow through the brush, and straight through there a pencil jet for accuracy.

sven

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 11:02:47 am »
I have always prefered pencil over fan jets,   but there is a type of job where fan jets are more superior over pencil jets and defo worth knowing.

I wonder if any experienced wfp users can tell me ?

if you cant then I will let you all know,   its not a trick question but a real tip

get your thnking caps on

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 11:20:41 am »
i find the pencils do use a bit more water but do a better job with the rinsing down

If I have the pump set at the same flow I use for pencils as for fans, I can't see the window for over spray. It reminds me of being in the rain forest at Victoria Falls. When I turn the flow down so there is very little over spray, it takes too long to rinse the windows.

Spruce

Lee GLS

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 01:08:07 pm »
Why don't you just rince on the glass spruce?

ian1972

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 05:18:17 pm »
There great on glass that don't sheet

lee_dewing

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 09:08:06 pm »
I've been using fans for maybe 6 months and i was pretty impressed at first but i think i will go back to pencil jets soon, just got 1mm pencils fitted to black soft extreme, will try out this week.

If i like will convert my brushes to 1mm pencil jets, think it was s.w.c who uses 1mm pencils says how much water you save, i wll see soon enough.

I like the fan jets but don't feel i use any LESS water than pencils.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Spruce

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 09:54:15 pm »
Why don't you just rince on the glass spruce?

Hi Lee,
I have never been comfortable with rinsing on. Our first brushes were the Oval Vikans which couldn't be used with on glass rinsing. So over the years we have always rinsed off.
Now we are on Superlights, I prefer the black flocked brush for all round cleaning, which again I prefer to rinse off.

I bought an extreme double trim (white) but again prefer to lift off for rinsing. I always seem to find bits of grit when rinsing on so I don't have the confidence to 'rinse and walk.'

Spruce

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 07:15:43 pm »
Hi Spruce, the bits are usually non soluble dirt that's stuck in the brush, it's not a big deal for the finish, what I usually do to get rid of these is either give it a quick scrub on a cross bar or flick it over the edge of a sill. For rinsing on you need a decent flow from the head (preferably 2lpm or so). I've been rinsing on since day one (4 years ago) and I never get any problems. The Xtreme brushes would probably be the best brushes to start rinsing on with. If you do any insides try and get it to work. Do one pain off, and one on. Make sure that you don't go too quickly on hydrophobic windows, you'll leave brush trails behind. Any soluted dirt that hasn't fully made it's way through the brush yet  could end up spotting as the water hasn't had time there to flow properly through the bristles.

Spruce

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 08:30:30 pm »
Hi Spruce, the bits are usually non soluble dirt that's stuck in the brush, it's not a big deal for the finish, what I usually do to get rid of these is either give it a quick scrub on a cross bar or flick it over the edge of a sill. For rinsing on you need a decent flow from the head (preferably 2lpm or so). I've been rinsing on since day one (4 years ago) and I never get any problems. The Xtreme brushes would probably be the best brushes to start rinsing on with. If you do any insides try and get it to work. Do one pain off, and one on. Make sure that you don't go too quickly on hydrophobic windows, you'll leave brush trails behind. Any soluted dirt that hasn't fully made it's way through the brush yet  could end up spotting as the water hasn't had time there to flow properly through the bristles.

Hi Tim
Thanks for the advice.
I do the outside windows of a council property every month over a weekend when there isn't anyone around. I have tried rinsing on and the results have been ok. I chose this property as I could go back and fix any issues without anyone knowing. I guess it's not being comfortable rinsing on and walking away, when we can rinse off confident that they are clean.

Although I mainly rinse off, I am inclined to rinse on with the odd smaller window that sheets nicely. I suppose I would rather redo one window than a whole house if I haven't done it right.
I'm not sure if I would rinse on with all the council property windows I do on this job. I would hate to finish the job which takes just under 2 hours and have to do the whole job again if I didn't get the technique right.

Spruce