Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bill Robinson

spilt weed killer
« on: November 03, 2005, 05:43:38 pm »
just valeted a new land rover it had weed killer spilt in it and left for a few days the carpet seem fine but it melted a few rubber seals how do you usually handdle this situation what cleaning prosses do you use any perticular chemicals nead to be put on it

John Kelly

Re: spilt weed killer
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 11:40:59 pm »
Hi Bill
Got to say not something I have come across. I take it the weedkiller was in liquid form.
I would reckon thorough flushing with a standard detergent would be suitable treatment.
One word of caution if it has melted rubber seals, it may also affect the carpet base which in my Landrover has some kind of foam attached to the back. Did the carpet appear dimpled or ruffled at all?

Bill Robinson

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 07:43:19 am »

The carpet wasn’t of that sort it had no foam. It looked kind of matted particles on the back. In the end because it had spread to both sides we just flushed the floor out with a hose pipe. Just wondering though if there are any chemicals that would stop any damage and neutralize the weed killer chemicals just incase I come crossed it again in a car where I can’t turn the hose pipe on it

Doug Holloway

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 08:01:18 am »
Bill,

Weed killers will be water based to allow the weed to take it in.

This means flushing with water/ detergent would be the best way to remove them .

I would be suprised if a weed killer did any more than soften a rubber seal which when it dries would return to normal.

Cheers

Doug