This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

oil filled radiators
« on: August 25, 2011, 07:22:17 pm »
what do you guys use to keep the back of ya van nice and toasty during very cold nights?

last year i just bunged a duvet over my barrels and took pole,hose and trolley inside for the night but a few nights a came out in the morning to find half frozen barrels!! ;D ;D ;D

this year im gonna get a heater in there.a bit awkward though as ill have to run a extension lead down my stairs,through my letterbox and into the back of van.better than a tank of frozen water though!

many thanks

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

mac74

Re: oil filled radiators
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 08:36:52 pm »
If uve got a lecky supplie then a rad with stat is good, as i have 1 in my static shed 900w and its ok to keep stuff above freezing (but i hear they use alot of power?) but if like me on road parking, ive just invested in a propex hs2000 £430 runs off sml propane gas bottle, ill be fitting it over the next month  ;)

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 08:48:59 pm »
3Kw 27" immersion heater fitted in side of 400ltr tank. Lovely tank of hot water which acts as a giant radiator & the whole van is like toast in the morning. ;)

WISEOWL

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:47:22 am »
I have used an oil filled radiator but have found they take a while to warm up and don't radiate the heat well enough compared to what it costs to run it.

Later on in the autumn I am going to buy a fan heater that I can concentrate towards the pump and tank.

I will also look into a water tank heater similar to what you get in an aquarium - this cropped up during the very cold spell last year and the debate was never properly finished.

lee_dewing

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 10:33:26 am »
http://www.summergardenbuildings.co.uk/products/greenhouse-staging/greenhouse-heater-15-gas-1500-popular.html

was looking for something for my garage en-bloc has no electric, the above link to parrafin heater with thermostat any good.

does it need electric? (don'tthink so)

Knew a wfp windy who put parrafin heater in van over night and ruined it; covered interior with black soot :o

anyone got experience with these types of heaters are they safe?

thanks lee
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

lee_dewing

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 10:36:17 am »
oops just relised it's propane gas.

would this work?

would it work out expensive on gas?

does anyone know heating costs?

thanks lee

Jonny D

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 01:57:10 pm »
I was thinking of getting a heater for the back of the van and i came across this

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-0927.aspx

It says it emits heat up to 5 metres away. Do you think this would be ok in the back of a trafic?

concept

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 02:11:59 pm »
The best thing you can do is insulate your van before you try and heat it, therefore keeping heat in, as vans are terrible for heat loss.

Scoop

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 09:27:55 pm »
I was thinking of getting a heater for the back of the van and i came across this

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-0927.aspx

It says it emits heat up to 5 metres away. Do you think this would be ok in the back of a trafic?

I'd say this baby would be far too powerful for the inside of a van - might end up melting plastic and goodness knows what.

Wheelie bin cleaners have the same problem and nobody seems to have found the perfect solution. Friend uses a paraffin heater (but not the Sootmaster 5000  :)) and I use a small electric fan heater set to minimum (picture of a snowflake) on the thermostat. At the end of the day we are looking for water and equipment that are just a few degrees above freezing - we're not planning to have a bath in it  ;D
Don't wish it were easier. Wish that you were better - Jim Rohn

JSMC

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 09:57:37 pm »
not looking forward to winter at all. past 2 winters in scotland have been harsh.

lee_dewing

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 09:41:31 am »
Been looking at this site do you guys think these gas heaters would be inside a van overnight or in a up over garage, my garage dosen't have a power suppy :'(

thanks lee

lee_dewing

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 09:42:15 am »

Matt Gibson

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 09:47:13 am »
i just bung a whole load of anti freeze through my machine every night...ahhh the joys of not needing to use pure water... ;D

Scoop,

Tell your wheelie bin mate to do the same, get a large drum of anti freeze and suck it through the pump every afternoon at his last job untill it returns back and he'll be sweet.

Londoner

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 09:53:20 am »
Whatever you decide to get don't wait until the big freeze to try and buy it.

Nil stock more due next month. Same for gas supplies and parraffin.

clarkson

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 10:54:24 am »
3Kw 27" immersion heater fitted in side of 400ltr tank. Lovely tank of hot water which acts as a giant radiator & the whole van is like toast in the morning. ;)
[/quote

hi

i heard people where fitting immersions into there tanks, do you use a thermostat and what is the power connection ie plug?

cheers

john

sparkleglass

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 12:26:40 pm »
i use electric heater put it on a timer 2 hrs about midnight and then on again from 530 till i go at 730 water is always good to go ,lets hope its not cold this winter    :o

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 07:16:46 pm »
[/quote

hi

i heard people where fitting immersions into there tanks, do you use a thermostat and what is the power connection ie plug?

cheers

john

The immersion element has a built in thermostat & re-settable trip. This is wired with the correct heat resistant cable to a normal plug. I then run a heavy duty extension cable from house to van on drive. This is plugged in to a plug-in mechanical timer. ;)

Scrimble

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 07:49:37 pm »
30 quid oil filled rad on the lowest setting overnight even at minus 10 outside in my van no frozen water

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 08:12:49 pm »
In the winter I put a 1kw aquarium heater in my static tank (set to 16C, above 20C legionaries can grow) and the same in my van tank. The on in the static tank is plugged into a temperature sensing gizmo (it looks like a timer plug, £25 off ebay) and only switches on when the outside temp drops below 4C. I fill the van with pre-warmed water when I get home & its still lukewarm 5 hours later, so the heater in the van tank is only plugged in last thing at night.

When the temps get serious (Cold enough to stop me working) I leave the heaters on 24/7. I'd rather pay a bit extra on the electric bill than have the hassle of bringing everything in the house or the cost of replacing broken gear once everything thaws.

Mike #1

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 07:43:29 am »
Nat which heaters do you use , The only ones i can find are £165:00 and they have a inlet and outlet which i assume connects to a pump to circulate warm water around a pond.   Thanks Mike